CONCACAF Champions League 2009-10

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, Nov 14, 2008.

1. BerlinTexas

BerlinTexas Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So awesome, come and get it Pachuca.

2. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who got shot?

I didn't know Pachuca was playing last night, I watched the DC game, I thought it was pretty boring.

3. TXMilan

TXMilan Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has the new AD at U of H made any comments if he is going to continure the Dave Maggart rule of no mid week games at Robertson while class is in session?

4. scarfman

scarfman Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Houston
    The first game (August) is at 7 but the other two (September) are at 9, so I'm guessing they're still not allowing an early start time while class is in session.

5. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players from Panamanian team San Francisco, car to car shooting, apparently one of the players had a bullet go trough his lung and I think 2 other players got wounds but not as big as the punctured lung guy.

6. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start times could also be dictated by TV contracts. Mexican TV likes 9p Central start times for games.

It must be kept in mind that CCL revenue is heavily TV revenue.

7. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is why CONCACAF prohibited Mexican teams from playing Copa Sudamericana.

Now, about the fact the revenue us heavily TV revenue, isn´t that true of every big league around the world in any sport?, I´m sure Jerry Jones wants a full stadium paying those outrageous prices to pay for that TV, but he will get most of the money from the TV deal the NFL has for the league´s games.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not exactly.

2008 numbers
    TV revenue per NFL team: $120 million
    Average NFL team total revenue: $211 million
    Cowboys total revenue: $250 million
    Redskins total revenue: $300 million

That's one reason why the Cowboys wanted the new stadium, to increase the non-TV portion of their revenue. And they don't have to share that money with the other teams in the league.

9. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected, how much is ticket prices and how much merchandise?

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't know the percentages.

Ticket revenue is pretty much the same for every team. NFL teams split the gate 60%-40%. So when the Cowboys host Detroit both teams are benefiting from the ticket price. And merchandise is mostly shared revenue. The league licenses the stuff and then splits the money among the teams. So even though the Cowboys and Raiders sell a lot of jerseys they don't get much more money for that.

The big difference is local sponsors, luxury boxes, seat licenses, naming rights, concession rights. All that stuff. And other non-NFL events. That's why Jerry Jones wanted this stadium. And that's how he is going to make money from it.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Results for Wednesday, July 29:

Toronto FC (CAN) 0-1 Puerto Rico Islanders (PUR)
    San Francisco (PAN) 2-0 San Juan Jabloteh (TRI)
    Liberia (CRC) 3-0 Real Espana (HON) 9 p.m.

MLS teams have a loss and a tie after two home legs. Not looking good again this time around.

Red Bulls are at W. Connection tonight.

12. dadcoachref

dadcoachref BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Crosby
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only two home sides that did not win! and the other home sides won by at least 2 goals...sad for MLS...

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really really is amazing that MLS will talk many times about their competitiveness to Europe, others, then ignore the reality that the league is falling in quality within CONCACAF in the only meaningful measuring stick.

It was a whole theme during the All-Star game. How stupid do they think soccer fans are that we would believe that the ASG, SuperLiga, or pre-season friendlies are a more meaningful barometer of relative quality than CCL?

I'm really kinda depressed about American club soccer right now. The MLS is not moving forward in quality, and puts effort into marketing BullShite and little into improving their match quality. USL, which is slowly improving in quality of play has adopted field-turf as their preferred playing surface. If you know me I don't even consider that proper footy. egads....

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that many American soccer fans actually do think that MLS performances in the ASG and pre-season friendlies are more meaningful than the CCL. That's largely because most American soccer fans have barely even heard of the CCL or understand what it means about the quality of your teams if you get eliminated by Firpo or W Connection. I think the hard, cold truth is that most American soccer fans don't know very much about international club soccer, except for perhaps the UEFA Champions League. We could argue that if MLS promoted the CCL, then more American soccer fans would care about it. But I think that's overly optimistic and assumes that MLS has far more influence that it actually does. Many American soccer fans barely even care about MLS in the first place.

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (in other words, exactly).

there are some real dumbasses out there. check the MLS general boards.

if i had a penny for every time i typed: "for the last time beating a european or fmf team in a pre-season friendly does not count."

!!!!!!!!!!!!! another winner. i especially like the bolded part.

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lay this nugget of observation at the foot of the NASL and more specifically the Cosmos.
    As much as some folks like to celebrate the glory of the NASL and star filled teams and the multiple Cup champion Cosmos. The NASL was a renegade league in the eyes of FIFA and of CONCACAF. The Cosmos and other teams fostered the concept of gloryfied friendlies versus Santos or Lazio or Man U and any results that came with them as a banner win for the NASL.
    The NASL NEVER sent a Champion into the old CCC or even remotely considered a chance bid at the Copa Lib for the Cosmos.
    Thus, to many soccer moms and coach dads there is literally zero concept of the MLS champion having to play serious matches in international club competitions. The ASG and one off friendlies are still the standard by which many soccer fans in our sporting culture evaluate the state off play in MLS and even worse so goes for even the guys that run the damn league.

I've said this for going on 10 years now that the sport of soccer is very strong in the U.S. and is indeed very popular. It's just MLS as a spectator sport still has so much room to grow. But considering that when I was watching MLS in '99 I had hopes that our league would be in Houston and Seattle and Portland and Philly in 10 years and the signs of growth would be evident. So by 2019, after another 10 years of massive growth, all these issues of the seriousness of the CCL and what not will most likely have been put to rest.

17. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is also our fault as fans, do we pack CCL games?, I´m not talking about Dynamo playing against Pachuca or Mexican Chivas, other fans fill p our stadium, I´m talking about MLS teams playing against non-Mexican teams, empty stadiums, there are a lot od excuses, games are during weekdays, they are either way early or very late, but the truth is that if we, the supposedly hard core fans don´t even attend against Firpo because in our eyes they are not worthy of our time and then the 2nd division Pumas team scores 4 goals, Trinitarian teams kick MLS teams out of the CCL and we get 0 CCL championships.

SOme of us are getting tired of trying to explain that friendly games, tournamente that are nothing but glorified friendly games created to give MLS teams a huge advantage (yes, SL I´m talking about you, even if Tigres wins August 5, I´m sure Rey will keep thinking it is a friendly game and nothing more) mean nothing, NOTHING, it is all about real tournaments, and our only real tournament is CCL and fans, teams and league don´t give a crap, but we are happy that our boys, that the best players from our league look good against a preseason Everton that are still working on the physical side more than the soccer side.

I see Mexican teams doing great things in Copa Libertadores, Copa Libertadores for crying out loud, the best tournament after the Champions League, they won a Sudamericana cup when CONCACAF had no problems with them playing it and they are the rulers of the CCL, it took them 20 or 30 years to realize you only get recognition by playing real games, 20 or 30 years that the FMF lost, are we going to have to wait 30 years to get it?, don´t we get the fact that playing the winners of every confederations Champions League is a big thing?, Playing Estudiantes and Barcelona in a real game?, I don´t care if Galaxy defeats Barza in their friendly game, it means nothing, NOTHING, I´m getting angry, I will stop this rant.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breathe amigo. Breathe.

Recall that the very people who run MLS and their marketing department are the exact same people that need to step up.
    And that is on them alone.
    I am confident that us in Houston do our part. It's just that our club and its supporters are but one cog in the MLS wheel.
    Again, our folks turned up for a midweek CCL match at a late kickoff when we're handcuffed by Maggard on a weeknight, plus little advertizing ahead of time from the FO and our guys made it to the knockout rounds.
    I will always take the time to speak of extra time down in the vuelta in Pachuca and how assbackwards our own CONCACAF was for generations in not using away goals to settle two leg affairs in the CCC. Houston vs Chivas for the right to go to Japan never happened but at least our cog of MLS has really amped up the concept of winning this bad boy of CCC(L) now that it is a true home and away set up unlike when DCU and LAG won theirs on U.S. soil.

19. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we are one group in agreement on all this. The only point I might differ on is just how seriously the Dynamo have taken CCL. What evidence do we have?

The last two opportunities to take it seriously Dom has not.

1. 2008-09 knock out stages. Dom decides to start training camp late. LATE! Even though we have early CCL games. For lords sake -- he could have given the boys two complete weeks off after the Atlante series to make up for it. If you took it seriously you don't start late.

2. Last years game in El Salvador. I completely understand why the first team could not go down to El Salvador. But then, even though 3rd string players were available, he played the 2nd string players against Chivas in the reserve game on Sunday morning even though they would be playing in El Salvador just two days later. If you take CCL seriously you don't put the reserve league ahead of it -- and you don't play your CCL 2d team in a reserve game right before sending them to SLV.

The fact is -- the Dynamo cared more about the reserve league title than advancing out of the group stage in CCL.

20. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    chicken or the egg?

does Dom not take it seriously because MLS and the FO do not, or if he did would that change MLS and the FO's minds about marketing?

Interesting discussion-Dom has to keep his kids fed and at the current moment all that matters is MLS Cup. USOC? SS? Nope.

Now, for argument's sake, if we won the whole thing and took on Barca in the WCC, maybe that would cause the ripple effect for future tourneys.

I don't know Dom personally, but what I do know of him, I bet he wants to take it seriously, but has got cues (verbal or not) from the FO that MLS is what is most important.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure there was money at stake or some bonus for winning the reserve league.

I have no idea how the CCL bonus or prizes work but the games can't be lucrative to host FC Banana Peel on a Wed. night at 9:00 at Robertson. I bet the Dynamo don't break 10,000 for any CCL games, including Pachuca.

I don't know if the players get paid extra for these games or not - its another opportunity to get hurt and more games for not much more pay. The Dynamo players are ultra competitive and I'm sure they want to win, but I'm sure some think it is a hassle. They'll never admit it even if they think it.

Superliga was worth more to the players and the FO than the CCL. Dom liked it more as well.

That's why don't expect anything more than the US Open Cup lineups for the CCL group stages.

22. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree with you except I think Dom will start the A team vs Pachuca

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Surprise, surprise. The best result of the opening round by an MLS team goes to the Red Bulls. Two away goals and no game this weekend should give NY a good chance to advance in the home leg next week.

W Connection (TRI) 2-2 New York Red Bulls (USA)

24. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought away gol rule did not apply in CCL?

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They've had the away goal rule in both years of the CCL.