Compression wear - all info, questions here please.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jun 26, 2013.

1. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm looking for some compression leggings, and when i say compression, i mean compression. I need some new recovery leggings. I want to be able to put them on after games or training and use them solely for that purpose, not for keeping me warm when it's cold. I want them to aid recovery.

Previously I've worn Skins. I've had my current pair for ages, and need a new pair. I brought my skins a few years ago and just wanted to know if there was anything out there that was better? and maybe cheaper as Skins are rather expensive.

This thread can also be used to discuss general compression wear i just couldn't find a decent thread on this topic. (I know some smart a**e is now going to find me one) so id be grateful for any advice.

appleCORR

2. lakelui

lakelui Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skins is what I use as well. Thats really the only 1 I've tried. UA had some that looked decent, not sure how they are though.

3. cliftonjosh

cliftonjosh Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    my favorite compressions so far have been the adidas powerwebs

[​IMG]

lnicholson29 repped this.
  4. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wear these after games, and before games and nights out...
    [​IMG]

5. lakelui

lakelui Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^why the generic picture & not 1 of you out & about in them?

holden repped this.
  6. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah - I'd quite like to see a picture of you in them!

Do Adidas do a legging in their compression wear? I think the problem is, so many people have copied compression wear for people to keep warm in when it's cold it's hard to find a decent recovery legging/short. I think im going to have to stick with Skins, just peeves me to pay £70!

appleCORR

7. cliftonjosh

cliftonjosh Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I believe they do have one. I'll search for it later.

8. NoobC

NoobC Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not sure if 2XU has taken off worldwide yet. But I would be fair to say that they would rival skins. But they cost about the same as skins.

I've used some of nike pro combat shorts, and they lose elasticity way too soon.

9. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    tried on Skins and 2XU and Adidas Powerwebs. Would still recommend the PowerWebs. The 'Webs' have a similar effect to the 'flywire' on Tiempo Elites. You always feel it giving that extra bit more grip on top of the compression already provided by the tights.

10. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Second this! I've worn skins, Nike compression, powerweb and asics over the years and always have gone back to my trusty powerwebs!

11. cliftonjosh

cliftonjosh Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    you can even get lucky like me and score a pair in ROSS lol

12. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have never really gotten into the "advanced" level compression stuff out there. I just stuck with standard compression shorts while playing since - go a head and laugh - I accidentally exposed myself while kneeling at soccer camp when I was about 12 or 13 by wearing boxers under my soccer shorts. Fortunately it was to the girls at the camp - it was not mixed training, but girls and guys attended jointly and trained separately - so it could have been worse.....it was actually a pretty solid ice breaker for the rest of the week. Haha.

That said, I have had a lot of success with UA's standard compression products. They are the highest quality of any of the brand I have owned. I have several pairs that have been in use almost daily since 2002-2003 and they have shown no signs or wear and tear. The only pairs I had to toss were shredded by my dog that got into my laundry after a match. Haha.

I am not sure I really buy the "recovery" aspect of some of this stuff on the "advanced" side....it might aid a little, but I would bet it is like 0.5% more than standard compression wear if there was even a true study done. No doubt compression helps regulate muscle temp, reduces swelling, and supports recovery, but I don't think some overlays on pair of spandex is going to do much more than the spandex on it's own. Ice baths, alternating shower temps, hot tubs, and massages as well as a balanced whole food diet with the essential nutrients to fuel muscle growth/recovery is going to do a lot for anyone post exertion. Also, I suggest avoiding inflammatory foods parading as "healthy" namely wheat, at least the overly processed kind; sprouted grain is ok in moderation.

Outside of the food there is supplementation that could be helpful, but I really don't want to derail this with a lot of nutrition info.

My suggestion is UA products, as long as they are not cost prohibitive in the UK with VTA.

Wytefang and cliftonjosh repped this.
  13. cliftonjosh

cliftonjosh Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    i truly enjoy reading your responses on topics. Probably the most thorough posts on here!

gwood88 and Dr. Boots repped this.
  14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks, mate. I enjoy your contributions as well.

I have been slightly infrequent as a poster (but modding from a far) recently due to my new job being massively time consuming, but I have had a few days off due to an illness in my family. Not much else to do in a hospital waiting room other than contribute and make up for lost time on here. Haha.

Mercurial4991 repped this.
  15. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks everyone - will look into getting some adidas ones and see what they are like, i do find that they make a difference when i wear them after a a lot of running where my legs might feel a bit stiff the next day.

Still looking forward to the picture David!

appleCORR

16. lakelui

lakelui Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also make sleeves for your calves

17. cliftonjosh

cliftonjosh Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    my legs used to cramp up horribly after games and the next day. Once I started wearing the powerweb shorts during and after games, I have yet to have that problem. The powerwebs can be a little pricey but well worth the money.

jayc23 repped this.
  18. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Not good to hear about the illness hope everything's okay (though the silver lining for us is that we get more informed posts from you aha)

I was lucky to gt the power webs on sale in my country so I was essentially paying normal price compression tights for an advanced level. Don't like how Adidas has gone full mental with so many different types of power webs for recovery and stuff though. Looks abit gimmicky and all now.

Dr. Boots repped this.
  19. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I find nike base layer pretty cheap tbh, both pairs of mine have either lost thread on the waist band or on the bum area, which is pretty rubbish considering there high movement area's.

Skins and UA both look good though, but i only wear the shorts, got to keep things tucked in aha

Mercurial4991 repped this.
  20. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...... Bit too much info there!

appleCORR

21. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I find the new Under Armour compression shorts to not be as good as the older ones compression-wise (at least the ones I bought last year weren't as good as the ones I got 3 years ago). I also got some Nike Pro Combat ones, that are OK (better than the new UA), but not great. So I'd recommend something else.

22. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :ROFLMAO:

23. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have to say some of the guys ive seen wearing leggings this week where i play 5 a side maybe need a pair of those considering the weather has been in the mid 20s in the UK (and yes i know thats not very hot here, but its hot here! too hot for leggings!)

appleCORR

24. falc39

falc39 New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everyone,

Wearing compression shorts have been great for my performance while playing. The one problem that bugs me a lot is that it is uncomfortable because it squeezes your balls. Some are tighter than others, but they have all been uncomfortable to me. Does anyone know a good brand that makes it a little easier down there?

I can't be the only one having this problem...

25. cliftonjosh

cliftonjosh Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    look for a style for baseball. It will have extra room in that section for a cup.