Comparison of Attendance, Ticket Prices, and Gate Revenue

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by evilmonkeycmand, Jul 18, 2011.

1. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of a discussion in the Week 18 Attendance Analysis thread, I started to put together a quick list of American professional sports leagues attendance and average ticket price. From there I calculated the estimated gate revenue. Since it does not directly relate to that topic, I decided to put it in its own thread. So, here it is.

Code:
    Sport                     League   Attendance  Games  Avg. Att.  Avg. Ticket Cost   Est. Gate Revenue (in 000,000's)
    Baseball                   MLB     73,053,807  2430   30063.30        $26.91           $1,965.88 
    Am. Football               NFL     17,007,172  256    66434.27        $76.47           $1,300.54 
    Hockey                     NHL     20,928,036  1230   17014.66        $54.25           $1,135.35 
    Basketball                 NBA     21,302,573  1230   17319.17        $48.08           $1,024.23 
    Assoc. Football            EPL     13,372,318  380    35190.31        $57.80*            $772.92 
    AAA Baseball            PCL/Int'l  13,975,285  2097   6664.42         $8.15              $113.90 
    Assoc. Football            MLS     4,002,061   240    16675.25        $25.00*            $100.05 
    B-ball (Women's)           WNBA    1,598,250   204    7834.56         $19.00              $30.37 
    Indoor Lacrosse            NLL     783,129     88     8899.19         $29.19              $23.33
    Am. Football (Arena)       AFL     976,307     120    8135.89         $22.00*             $21.48 
    Assoc. Football (Women's)  WPS     319,299     89     3587.63         $17.00               $5.43 
    Lacrosse                   MLL     190,033     36     5278.69         $25.00               $4.75 

Links:
    MLB: Attendance Ticket Prices
    NFL: Attendance Ticket Prices
    NHL: Attendance Ticket Prices
    NBA: Attendance Ticket Prices
    EPL: Attendance Ticket Prices
    AAA: Attendance Ticket Prices
    MLS: Attendance Ticket Prices
    WNBA: Attendance Ticket Prices
    AFL: Attendance Ticket Prices
    WPS: Attendance Ticket Prices
    MLL: Attendance Ticket Prices
    NLL: Attendance Ticket Prices

Things to note:
    The line for AAA Baseball includes the attendance for both the PCL and the International League.
    Some of the sources for "average ticket prices" seem like they might be prone to errors; however, unless someone proves them wrong, I will continue to use them.
    I couldn't find any numbers for arena league football for any year after 2007, so the ticket price given is for 2007.
    The EPL dollar amount is based on today's conversion rates for £36.

Edit: I can't find the link I found to the $25 MLS average tickets. In 2008, average ticket prices were $22.47. Current average ticket prices may in fact be greater than $25.

4 people repped this.
  2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Good stuff here. I look forward to reading through some of those links on ticket prices.

3. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    NLL? (Box Lacrosse) is far more relevant

4. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have to put college football in there. That mother is a monster

5. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about it, but there are quite a few challenges associated with it, not least of which is that for many schools, the listed ticket price doesn't mention the donation required to gain the ability to purchase that ticket.

6. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which makes the revenue even higher :D

7. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not being an ass, but your NHL numbers are missing a total of 8 homes which amounted to 184,103 being in the stands.

All 6 NHL games in Europe and the 2 outdoor games held.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I can maybe count college football per conference. Otherwise it's a complicated mix of the 105,000 days at Ann Arbor and sparse crowds in Div III.

9. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Complete numbers
    http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2010.pdf

Accumulated Attendance [FBS only, plus bowl game locations]
    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/attendance/FBS_ATTENDANCE.pdf

10. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense taken. That just means that they weren't in the ESPN numbers. I'll fix it in a few minutes. MLB and NFL are probably similarly missing numbers.

11. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or perhaps I won't? Is there some forum limitation against repeated edits in a short time span? Ah, well, that will give me some time to work on the monstrosity that is the College Football Numbers.

12. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It already has it broken down by conferences starting on page four of the first link I posted. No need to bust yourself over finding each team.

13. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, that made the "total attendance" number a lot easier.

However, to get anything approaching an accurate ticket pricing, I'll have to add up team by team, due to stadium size and ticket price variability unmatched by any other sport.

Edit: But, just so you don't hold your breath on the NCAA FB vs. MLS comparisons, Ohio State alone looks to be 40% of MLS gate revenue.

14. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't envy the task, but I truly appreciate the work you've put in. Puts a nice view on how great a sporting nation we are in North America. [Must spread rep. Doh!]

15. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    as a canadian/non-american ... college football never ceases to amaze me ...

a) its a college sport
    b) its throwball...these guys dont make it to 60.

smh

16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That's part of the draw. The local connection can be a huge thing.

17. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Interesting numbers. Nice work.

I've lived in California my whole life and I feel the same way. Doesn't make any sense to me (especially because I've never known anyone who cares about it as far as I know). Is the regional thing + school pride that big of a deal?

18. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    As a graduate of one of those top 'throw ball' schools... It's very much school pride and regional pride, and for me, a strong connection with old friends and good times.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    By the way, college hoops aren't exactly a non-entity on the US sports scene.

20. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've lived in California your whole life and have NEVER known ANYONE that cares about College Football as far as you know???? Either you don't actually speak to other people, or you travel in some very unique circles. Because even among some of my most hardcore soccer pals, many are also VERY passionate College Football fans. Not to mention NFL fans.

I'm now wondering if maybe you are only 12 years old and have been "home schooled". That might explain your apparent lack of interaction with others........Just kidding. :D

21. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    NBA made 1.93 billion in merchandise sales last year. >>> All of MLS is worth

22. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. But the title of the thread is not discussing that topic. [No reliable figures available for nearly all sports too].

23. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really??

I would expect that from people like me in the New England/NYC area. But not Californina.

24. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not ignoring college basketball. However, I think you severely underestimate the difficulty associated with gathering ticket price information for each of the 344 DI basketball schools during a period when next year's schedule isn't set, and producing an estimated gate revenue for each of those schools.

While I haven't been *that* thorough with the professional sports, the reason is that for professional sports, you are dealing with 32 or fewer teams, whose attendances and ticket prices don't vary wildly, and thus multiply the total league attendance by the average ticket price will produce a number reasonably close to the actual gate revenue.

For college basketball, the "total attendance" includes everyone from Kentucky (354,046 total, 23,603 average) to Bethune-Cookman (9,684 total, 692 average). Kentucky tickets cost about $37 per game; I can't find the cost of Bethune-Cookman tickets, but I'd guess that it is no more than $10. Many more teams fall into the $10 ticket range than in the $37 range; however, the majority of attendance will be produced by the $37 ticket teams. Thus, it is unfair to do a simple average; each teams contribution to "average ticket price" ought to be weighted by attendance.

I probably won't even think about starting an in-depth look into college basketball until I finish finding average ticket prices for each of the 120 NCAA Football teams (and any help with those would appreciated!)

But, for fun, I'll play around with some ballpark numbers.

NCAA FB:
    Total Attendance*: 34,663,732
    Games*: 755
    Avg. Attendance: 45,912
    Low Ticket Price^: $40 (TCU)
    High Ticket Price^: $78 (Texas)
    Low Ticket Rev (in 000,000's): $1,386.55
    High Ticket Rev (in 000,000's): $2,703.77

NCAA BB:
    Total Attendance*: 25,147,122
    Games*: 5004
    Avg. Attendance: 5,025.40
    Avg. Ticket Low Guess: $12 (similar to Baylor)
    Avg. Ticket High Guess: $25 (similar to Butler)
    Low Ticket Rev (in 000,000's): $301.77
    High Ticket Rev (in 000,000's): $628.68

*Does not include neutral site or postseason games
    ^No, I haven't found this info for all teams. These are just the highs and lows I've calculated so far

1 person likes this.
  25. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here in east TN college football is the biggest sport times 50. Nothing else even comes close. The closest pro sports teams are in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville. So there are no pro sports teams very close. Even though UT football isn't what it used to be they still get 100k+ at all their home games. It is pretty much the only sport talked about here. Other sports are discussed, but you know what I mean.

I think it is similar to how pro soccer is in England (and much of Europe). One of the main reasons college football is so popular is that each region has their own team (like pro soccer in England). There is no other sport in the US like that. That is what helps make it so popular, especially in the southeast where there aren't a lot of pro sport teams outside of Atlanta and Florida (Nashville has 2, Memphis has 1, Charlotte has a couple, who am I forgetting?).