Commissioner: "MLS cup final will not be held at Buck Shaw"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Neuwerld, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, there is absolutely zero chance that PAL would be even remotely considered.

2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is such a fun little angsty thread. At least it sort of takes our minds off the game tomorrow.

3. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another puny field candidate? No thanks...

4. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Anyone know how many people those blimps can hold? Get a fleet of them and float them over Buck Shaw -- might be able to add another 1000 fans or so.

alexiskool1991 and DotMPP repped this.
  5. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got a Zeppelin...
    It's Silicon Valley, the home of innovation. Build a stadium overnight at Moffett Field.

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Check your tongue-in-cheek-o'meter, a68, I was being only half-serious with this. :--)

Edit: Whoa, so it's not just a68. There are a lot of tongue-in-cheek-o'meter's that need batteries around here :--). The "snack shack" reference wasn't enough to give it away?

7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But, you are not the only person who has suggested PAL.

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. Plus it's the internet. Nothing is funny or tongue and cheek on the web... unless it's the Onion.

9. SJ Cabrito

SJ Cabrito Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Sac-Town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about making the final an indoor game at HP Pavilion? There are plenty of open dates available and it would hold about 17,000 for soccer. Garber can have his luxury boxes and special effects, and the downtown businesses would appreciate the extra $$$.

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Keep those ideas coming! My latest was Shoreline. Holds 22,500, plenty of parking (unlike PAL, which otherwise would be a charming locale). Put some turf on stage and you're good to go!

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, your tongue-in-check-o'meter needs to calibrate to source as well. :--)

don gagliardi repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    What a dull, drab world that would be - the hypothetical world you describe there.

13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obviously have never been to PAL. (wait, was your tongue in your cheek when you typed that???)

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, I find it hard to believe anyone took me seriously when I endorsed your PAL suggestion. :)

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Frogs season ticket holder in 2006! Every seat in the house was a good one, but a different experience from 2005, that's for sure.

16. mister moose

mister moose Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify because it seems like some people are confused:

The Quakes are not guaranteed to host the MLS Cup final just because they won the Supporter's Shield, they have to get there first. The league's website has worded this fact in their stories incredibly poorly. Whomever has the better record between the two finalists will host, just like in baseball, basketball, or hockey.

While the final, if the Quakes are in it, would not be at Buck Shaw, they aren't really breaking too much of the rule by having it at another Quakes friendly venue.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is confused. We're all working on the assumption the Quakes will get to the Cup. Plus it's not like they can wait until November 17th to start looking for sites after we've been guaranteed a trip to the cup. They've been looking for a while.

18. mister moose

mister moose Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. It just looked like some were calling for the league's head for violating their own rules and preventing SJ from hosting the final. Misunderstanding on my part, I didn't read into the assumption of the Quakes being there.

To the topic at hand, Stanford wouldn't be that bad (other than the nightmare that is parking and getting out) an option, assuming its available. I would almost rather see the game at O.Co or AT&T over Spartan, despite its proximity to me and the Quakes in general because of the turf.

19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was more the "charming locale" comment, since it isn't a neighborhood I would willingly walk through.

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The neighborhood, maybe, but hard to beat the experience of sitting underneath the confluence of multiple freeways. The excitement begins before you step out of your car!

21. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've walked around the neighborhood several times before matches at PAL and several times afterwards to return to my car parked on the street outside the parking lot (either the lot was full or parking in it wasn't free.) I never felt uncomfortable. The negative reputation of low income neighborhoods is often disproportionate to reality.

bigdumbgod, markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) This one sent my tongue-in-cheek alarm off, NP.

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I cannot speak for others, but my concern about the league's disregard for its own rules stems more from my being a lawyer and an American than it does from being a Quakes fan with a particular self-interest at stake.

The "rule of law" is an important concept which should be respected on its own terms, not merely because it might confer an advantage in a given case. In my view, MLS ought to have as few rules as possible (and none against profanity or "offensive" tifo by supporters), but those rules MLS does justly have the league should adhere to in an even-handed fashion.

Neuwerld, bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should absolutely hold the Cup Final at Buck Shaw, and for halftime entertainment, we can burn Gerber at the stake!

Even if we can only squeeze another few hundred seats into it (and I think we can mange two to three thousand more), it's OUR home, so let's do it!! Sure, we'd have to add a bunch more porta potties, and some more food carts, but we have media facilities now, so we're good to go!!

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark
    (This post is a joke. It is intended to be seen as humor only. So don't get uptight.)

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Anybody else find it incredibly insulting that the same piece of dung who said "okey dokey" to the under-handed, ill-conceived, and downright dishonest removal of our original team by he-who-must-not-be-named is now telling US that WE can't have the final in OUR stadium? There really is no end to the sheer chutzpah exhibited by his a$$holiness, the commissioner. Now that the reign of AEG is finally drawing to a close, I truly hope that Lew and the rest of the owners toss this clown out on his butt. Or, perhaps he should simply be banished to LA where he and his lackeys can engage in an orgy of self-congratulation...