Commissioner Garber Speaks on Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by wcharriscpa, May 27, 2005.

1. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to share the commissioner's comments on expansion in Houston. He was a guest on last night's "F.C. Dallas Weekly" radio show.

http://www2.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201423

Don Garber
    On expansion in TX:
    - both Houston and San Antonio are great markets,
    - TX is a great soccer state
    - MLS is most excited about Houston
    - if MLS could find a stadium solution the league "would be there tomorrow"
    - Houston has been great for International games and ethnic tournaments
    - thinks the “likelihood of one additional team in Texas, at a minimum, is very high”

2. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info ... Maybe well get one of those 2007 teams. :)

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in terms of finding a stadium solution, three parties are reportedly putting proposals together for Delmar. Club America has also reportedly had positive meetings with the Harris County Sports & Convention Corp. about the Astrodome. Tomorrow may be here sooner than we think. :D

If we make the not at all outlandish assumptions that (1) a long-term stadium deal can be worked out at Delmar or the Dome (perhaps with a short-term deal at the Dome or elsewhere) and (2) Club America (or another ownership group) pulls the trigger in the next few months, then whether we're looking at relocation in 2006 or expansion in 2007 becomes a question of timing.

The two existing MLS teams that everyone discusses as most likely relocation candidates have both effectively been on the clock for some time now about resolving the stadium situations in their current markets. But if a buyer wants to execute the deal and has a stadium situation in Houston resolved in the next few months, then I think the clock runs out for one of the existing teams. I'm not at all suggesting that's the optimal solution, but, just as a practical matter, 2006 certainly isn't off the table.

4. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    anderson, I think you need to work your magic on campus there and work out a deal at Rice Stadium, :D .

That, and Reliant Stadium, are the most soccer friendly stadiums we have here. Both hold over 70,000 which is also good. Delmar and the Astrodome would be ideal as far as keeping ticket prices down, but subpar as far as asthetics/longevity go. I can't imagine watching MLS games in the Dome. I've been going to events there since the late 80s, and that'd just be weird.

I think we could easily score a team for 2006/definitely 2007 if stadium talks progress. Houston is by far the best untapped soccer market in the US. This is one of the true world hubs because of the energy and oil businesses among others. So, it doesn't surprise me that Garber said those things.

Interesting about Delmar, can't say I would have expected to hear that.

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I would love to see an MLS team play at Rice, I'm not sure that Rice Stadium would currently provide a good venue. It has great sightlines and offers generally reasonable access and parking. The place also has some history - it hosted Super Bowl VIII and President Kennedy made a famous address there about space policy ("Why does Rice play Texas?"). But it also has some significant limitations.

The field is AstroTurf - I don't even mean FieldTurf, but the flat surface. It's a fairly nice AstroTurf carpet as far as such surfaces go, but a new playing surface would be necessary for MLS. Even with a new surface, the width of the field level is pretty narrow. The stadium was designed specifically for football, so there isn't much extra room on the sidelines. You could remove some of the lower rows of seating to widen the field, but then we're talking serious expense. The current field was installed in 1997, but I don't know when the next replacement is scheduled.

The stadium would also need some significant upgrades to the amenities. It was built in about nine months in 1950 and feels like it. The concessions and restrooms make UH's Robertson Stadium look state of the art. Most of the seating - the place accommodates up to 70,000 - are bleachers.

I'd imagine you could probably swing some reasonable lease terms. After all, Rice made Autry Court available to the Houston Stealth of the National Women's Basketball League, and you know that couldn't have involved big bucks. TSU has also played home games at Rice Stadium in the past. Nonetheless, the MLS team would probably want to control year-round scheduling and revenue streams at its venue. That seems to be the business model in MLS now. Rice may not be willing to give up that much control.

Of course, one good thing about Rice Stadium is that it already has blue tarps to cover up the end zone seating. ;)

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is because of Rice Stadium and its AstroTurf that Houston LOST its MLS franchise in 1995! Our team became the Mutiny after FIFA demanded that all Div-I association football leagues play on FIFA authorized surfaces.

That has since changed with the new FieldTurf but IMHO playing at Rice is not wise.

Now the Dome, if structured to a more box seating for better sight lines, terraces behind the goals like Boca's Bombanerra and the roof work needed to allow real grass to grow indoors than I would be all for that!!!
    The Dome and its operators are in a Alamo Dome type of situation....they need a steady contract and game dates.
    Its funny how Houston engineers can put a man on the moon but still have a tough time with growing grass indoors. :)

7. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    No that's not good.. Too big.. Expensive to use and rent or lease or whatever and lousy atmosphere for an MLS game with 20K in attendence.. and on and on.. Build a SSS and MLS will come .. ;)

8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just FYI in case anyone missed it - this thread on the N&A board contains a link to a great 3rd Degree write-up of some comments by Garber and others that includes several intereting items about Houston.