Columbus and West Ham Fans Clash in Columbus

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FC Dizzle, Jul 20, 2008.

1. b1gs341

b1gs341 New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Re: When will it stop....in Columbus?

Please god let this be your last post. I'm holding you to this.

Thanks for your great input now go away.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hell, I break up better brawls in my middle school cafeteria than that.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

*Goes back, rereads his post. Rereads it again*

Ok where did I say that you were calling names? You completely ignore what people are saying to you that you don't understand the culture that supporters groups in the US have. You keep talking about things that they do in England when the sport's culture here is completely different. People have said how to solve the problem, but since you don't live here, you obviously know better how to solve the problem. :rolleyes:

4. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ya know what is also a terrible thing? dumb westham fans who gotta show how man they are.

5. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I've never read one of his books, it's just he's posted around here with the same, how do I say, attitude as you. A very reactionary, almost panicked tone. But like him, and this is meant as no slight, you seem to have less hands on experience with games in the USA.

I think it's clear to most of us that have been going to games for years that a majority of the problem lies with poor security policy and a minority of the problem is with organized violence from fans.

Because of the nature of the population of the USA though, there will always be a small minority of people who have learned 'support' from other countries and brought their bad habits with them. And because of the nature of organized support in soccer, that small minority on occasion will be able to garner more than their fair share of influence on some situations.

That said, the persecution complex exhibited by Crew fans (again, no slight intended) could influence them to aggressively band together to 'protect' themselves.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Apparently, that was part one of four.

Here are parts two and three

[youtube]MhFRsSKfgZ4[/youtube]

[youtube]D-nbFZJYVn4[/youtube]

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless part four shows some blood or at least someone pulling out a bad hair weave or something ... then I gotta go with the fight between two of my seventh grade girls on the way back from lunch last year.

Much better fight.

8. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Yeah, you'll definitely see worse on the streets of wrigleyville. Actually, I've seen worse on the field. Just ask Chads (Kreuter and Barret that is).

edit: I totally mean...Michael Barrett...but that's not as funny. Inside chicago joke and all.

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man, I clearly saw Crew fans trying to cut those poor innocent WHU supporters with broken beer bottles, saw Nazi salutes, and heard "Seig Heil" chants.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You missed the continuous use of the N word as well.

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nordyke keeps it real.

[​IMG]

12. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given all the crap we've had to deal with this year (and yes, the actions of some of our members and some people claiming to be members have definately contributed to that), can you blame us for having a siege mentality at this point?

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That must be in "part four" which hasn't surfaced on Youtube yet.

:D

14. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Hey, no slight intended. But if we don't at least acknowledge that's what you guys are doing it can't be fixed.

15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can't be fixed? MLS Rumors starting slanderous (or is that libelous?) posts on their crap blog stating that Crew fans are Nazis?

Yeah, that'll work.

16. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO!! just saw the three clips. Freakin PA guy still blabbering promos:rolleyes:

17. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how 95% of the comments on the story about this incident on MLSR was pro-crew and anti MLSR and they wigged out having a post saying "dont come to our site if you dont like us" haha
    Quit slandering the good people of Columbus MLSR!

I had a post on there thanking other mls supporters for realizing MLSR is feeding them BS and we did nothing wrong, but since then everything ive said has been censored off the site

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should come to MLS Rumors Rumors instead

http://mlsrumorsrumors.blogspot.com/

19. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I were to say publicly that Carrot Top enjoys posting images of himself having sex with underage kangaroos in elementary school boys' locker rooms, that would be slander.

If I were to write in a published article or website that Carrot Top enjoys posting images of himself having sex with underage kangaroos in elementary school boys' locker rooms, that would be libel.

20. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - what a lot of bother over nothing. People are hyperventilating over this??

22. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not hyperventilating over the incident, and I'm not sure a lot of Crew fans are. What I'm very sure of, however, is that our Club has some very serious glaring problems with the security contractors that let this get started in the first place and then get out of hand. And as one of the leaders of the Crew supporters, I can tell you that this kind of incident has been a long time coming. CSC (the security contractor) and the Crew FO's gestapo enforcement tactics backfired yet again as CSC was more concerned with throwing Crew fans out of the stadium for throwing streamers and having an umbrella than they were watching for potential problems from the away fans. Of the 18 games that we'll play at Crew Stadium, maybe 6 of them will require that attention to the away fans. This was one of them. And CSC and the Crew FO dropped the ball.

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    First, I'd like to say that Mike (who I know and respect) hit the nail on the head, this is ultimately the responsibility of the security staff at Crew stadium. Something sporting event security in this country do not seem to understand is that they need to PREVENT issues, not come in and crack skulls after the shit has already hit the fan.

Here's what I know about Columbus fans, all from 2008, and this isn't a pot shot at Mike or any of the other outstanding fans in Columbus:

1) While visiting Columbus this year on a road trip a guy who stands in their supporters section approached my younger brother and threatened to kick his ass. When he came back to find four of us, to his one, he quickly ran off and didn't want much to do with us. Granted, one guy, but it's not the first time that has happened to me or people I know in Columbus.

2) During the KC game on ESPN last week there were MANY chants that consisted of 75%+ curse words, loud and clear over national TV. Then the best of them all: "You're a *ussy!" chanted at Jimmy Conrad of all people. Chant what you want, obviously, but that showed me further what their supporters section is made of.

3) The now infamous racial slur. Again, just one guy, but then again it only takes one guy to ruin things.

4) This "hooligan brawl" as the media (even sports talk here in KC) are calling it. Again, regardless of the circumstances the fact is that the Columbus supporters were involved and it looks very bad to the general public.

One of these instances was my own personal experience, so I acknowledge that part may be a personal grudge. But three of these have gotten national attention (many people I know saw the ESPN game and commented on the cursing from their fans) and none of it is good attention. The WH fans shouldn't have been in your section, security should never have let them get there either, but at some point the fan base as a whole has to take responsibility for themselves and stop the negative press.

24. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, I agree completely. Who ever thought that it was a good idea to put that info and picture up is a total jag off. What an amazing act of stupidity.

25. SavvyLemon

SavvyLemon New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Columbus
    So let me get this straight. a person says a racial slur, thus making all people living in columbus racists, and now drunk idiots walk uninvited into the supporters group section, talking sh*t, looking to start a fight, and it's columbus' fault...

please explain this logic to me :confused: