Colorado Buffaloes 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Jan 21, 2012.

1. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The handsome prince had the glass slipper ...

and he dropped it right in front of Cinderella and it shattered. Cherry Creek 1, Fairview 0. A fair result, although Fairview definitely made a game of it in the second half. It rained almost throughout, but the hail dump waited until after the game. Our Nikki-to-be played the best I've seen her this year (all of six games).

How many days until the CU season starts ???

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  3. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not the Fall schedule !! The official schedule has not been announced by the team, and until they do, this is not it. That said ...

The exhibition game could be Air Force but neither team has announced a schedule, if it is then it’s our turn to host.

The Colorado Cup will be played at Northern Colorado on Friday August 17 and at Colorado College Sunday August 19. We play CC Sunday at 4PM, I can’t confirm Friday but I’ll guess UNC at 6:30 or 7PM. Then comes the Omni Hotels Classic at Prentup, Friday is the University of Long Island at Brooklyn at 4PM, and Sunday is Wright State at 1:30PM. Denver is the fourth team, they play both their games before ours.

Labor Day weekend seems to usually be a non-conference road trip, who and where and when remains shrouded in the mists of mystery. Then comes the Denver Invitational, at Denver’s CIBER Field (good place to watch soccer), we play Denver at 7PM Friday and Cincinnati at 11AM Sunday.

Friday September 14 we are at Wyoming at 4PM. A bit awkward, perhaps, since Coach Sanchez recruited the Wyoming team to Wyoming, but they are our neighbors and some of our players know some of theirs and we always play Wyoming. If it looks like all four of our neighborhood games are away from home, it’s because they are. Didn’t we play them all at home last year? Don’t know about Sunday, probably time for them to have a day off.

Conference play opens on the road at Oregon on Friday the 21st. Oregon State? Could be Sunday the 23rd or could be three weeks later and could be there or here, I’ll guess here on October 12 or 14. Last year we played OSU there and UO here on different weekends.

The Washingtons come to town on Sept 28 (UW) and 30 (WSU). Based on when they play Utah, it looks like California on October 5 and Stanford on the 7th at Prentup. The following weekend is Oregon State here, I think. That’s five home hames in a row. Let’s leave Oregon State a mystery until somebody announces something.

Off to the lands of warm … at UCLA October 19th, USC the 21st, Arizona the 26th and Arizona State the 28th. The regular season wraps up in the cozy confines of Prentup Field. May the snow blow into the Utah goalkeeper’s face this time, not ours.

Most of this is from other teams’ schedules, but not everybody has posted theirs. Cal and Stanford are based on when they play Utah, UNC and Oregon State seem likely but are not announced. Labor Day is somewhere.

I cut and pasted this, let's see if Big Soccer recognizes the paragraphs, it doesn't always.

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Interesting non-conference schedule. Not a lot of power-houses to prepare CU for the Pac 12.

I love the Colorado Cup, but don't see how it can be fairly determined when the CU v Du game isn't part of it.

I wonder how much of transition year this is going to be with a new coaching staff and all.

5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still have the Labor Day weekend road trip, those games are usually against good teams. And Wright State had a higher RPI last year than seven Pac-12 teams (so did Denver). And only two non-conference games are at home.

A problem with the Colorado Cup is that you have four teams and one weekend, so somebody doesn't play somebody. And we always play Denver anyway, this year we share three weekends with them, the Cup, our Classic, and their Invitational. My concern with the present format is that every year will be decided between CU and DU based on goal differential against CC and UNC.

This spring, the returning players transitioned to the new staff quickly and really well. And it's always a transition year for freshmen, we just have a lot of them this year. So far, the transition is very positive.

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    What should be done for the Colorado Cup is to play it over two weekends. The first could consist of one match for each team and the second, two. Otherwise you are correct that the cup will often be decided on goal differential.

The biggest change I'll be looking to for this season is whether or not the players are confident on the pitch. It's been a few seasons since they have been.

7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AS SEEN ON TV ...

The genuine schedule is out, and the Buffs will grace the airwaves seven times this season.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3937&SPID=259&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205445423&DB_OEM_ID=600

For the first time since I've been here, the exhibition game is against the alumni. Michelle Wenino and Nikki Marshall are starters for WPSL Elite teams, but that season ends in late July so maybe they can be there.

We still play Air Force, this time it's a regular season game. And the Labor Day weekend road trip is just one game this year, at Northwestern. We might have a crowd there, this will be a home game for Clare, Olivia and Carly M (we have two Carlys now).

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Nothing exciting at home until Washington comes to town at the start of a five game home stand against conference foes. That might be the make or break part of the schedule as it is followed by four consecutive away conference matches.

Great to see that there will be three away games televised on the new Pac-12 network! Although the transition for the soccer program is going to be tough for a while in the long run it will payoff with more exposure and money.

9. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
  10. KNVB05

KNVB05 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Go from being a college soccer coach in a big conference to a high school coach? Quite the fall....

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yes, one view is that it is a large demotion. But there is another view.

There comes a time for perhaps 90% of coaches that one wants to quit the competitive 24/7/365 rat race but because one loves the game so much wants to still be involved. High school is almost the perfect solution for this type of a coach. Teach the game, just enough excitement, players willing to respect you experience. Summers off. Family time. Community respect.

It kinda makes one wonder about the highly competitive college coaches nearing retirement age who want to keep going!

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

fennah from Oregon state didn't have the temperament for recruiting.

He was very successful at Jesuit High in Oregon. Several All Americans and Many D1 player.

He just got worn out with recruiting.

Now he is back at Jesuit and still producing great future players.

His replacement at OSU is taking that team to greater successes.

13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I found this article both in-depth and accurate. I would highly recommend to all CU fans. The author clearly spent time researching and processing info as it takes into account the recent past as well as what CU will be able to do on the field this season.

The conclusion is that CU should finish in the middle of the table in the Pac 12 this season if they can figure out the best personnel for the back line and find a consistent scorer. I think that Annie Stuller could be that player.

The strength of the team should be the midfield - according the article with Amy Barczuk. being the key figure.

14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeping yourself and your family in Boulder and having more time for and with them? Quite the advancement ...

15. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffalums still playing soccer ...

Include a defender for the Colorado Rapids Women, #14 Kelci Newlin.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  19. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    K NOB05, I really dont think you have full insight into the situation? Bill is an outstanding person, Father, and coach. Its NEVER a down fall to look after your families best interest. Its not a down fall but a better mountain view.

20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alumni 2, Buffs 2

Nikki Marshall blew past the defense twice late in the game and 2-0 became 2-2. Shots on goal were 11-2 Buffs. There weren't many alumni, the Buffs provided their goalkeepers for the game and a substitute or two in the second and third periods (three 30 minute periods).

The Buffs started what looked like the starters, 9 returning players, and they romped in the first 30 minutes. Problem was, they were romping at Kayla, who put on a goalkeeping demonstration against her teammates, recording six saves and several takeaways. The second period was turned over to the freshmen, mostly, and the game evened up a bit. Carly the Tall (Manso, 5-4) scored, with an assist from the referee (there were no linespeople) who did not notice that she was a very off-sides at the launch of her breakaway. Carly the Not So Tall (Bolyard, 5-3) made it 2-0 in the third period and another goal was disallowed, I don't know why. So there we were, about six minutes left, score 2-0, shots on goal 11-0, and Nikki Marshall took over. Blew past the defense, and facing a well-done charge from the GK, laid the ball off to Kym Lowry who was totally by herself on the other side of the goal. With ten seconds left, Nikki had the ball maybe 30 yards out and with two defenders in front of her, passed them like they were parked, got past the GK and tapped the tying goal in with about a second left.

Hayley is nursing a not-serious injury and did not play. Heather Ward is in a boot, said it would be off in a week. The transfer from Nebraska is not on the team, I don't know why. But here is the really bad news ... there is no number 3 on the roster. Alex reinjured her knee, and it appears to have ended her career. During spring soccer they said she was at 70%, and Alex at 70% is one fine defender. I would provide a one-word comment but it would get deleted.

unkiemark repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Here we go - CU begins its defense of the Colorado Cup Friday night in Greeley against UNC and then again on Saturday in Colorado Springs against CC. Lot's of questions going into the season with the new coaching staff and the lack of on-field success last season.

Key questions in my mind - how confident will the team be? How will they respond when they go behind? Who will pick up the scorer's role? Where will Amy B play and what will her role be?

http://www.buffzone.com/Soccer

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205603068&DB_OEM_ID=600

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck unkie and to debarkasmann too. You are two of my favorite fans, for your support for your team.

25. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you CP. I enjoy the sport, and I've had a lot of fun following this team all over the place. I hope you get a chance to see the Buffs in Oregon this year.

I will be in Greeley and Colorado Springs for the games this weekend, I'll try to add a little bit here that might not be in the website articles. At UNC, if there is a lady with two Siberian Husky service dogs, the old fat guy with her will be me.

I think the confidence with the veterans will be fine. They never quit last year, in a most totally crappy season. In March and April, they found out how well they can play. Not a powerhouse, but they are an attractive soccer team, and I'm referring to their soccer. OK, that too. Assimilating (resistance is futile) this many newcomers will take a while, but by the time conference play starts, I believe this will be a good team. Good means somewhere in the middle of the pack, including games they will lose and look good doing it. The Pac-12 coaches pick us #11. I'll eat my hat (or a cheeseburger, my choice) if we finish that low.

Friday in Greeley, Denver and Colorado College start things off at 5PM, then we play Northern Colorado. Sunday in Colorado Springs, Denver and Northern Colorado start at 1PM, then we play Colorado College.

Correction: Against the alumni (alumnae?), it wasn't Carly Manso who was offsides on the first goal but someone else. She was at the end of a sequence of passes. The website article credited Kayla with three saves in the first period, but there were six shots on goal against her and she caught or blocked all six of them, which I thought was the definition of a save. Anyway, she was phenomenal IMHO.