Colorado Buffaloes 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Actually, just a soccer god.

(small g)

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so I need a daughter. One with soccer genes, which will have to come from her mother. Hmmmm ... I know, Alex Morgan !! Now what did I do with that email from the on-line pharmacy in Nigeria.

We've strayed off topic. And for further horizon broadening, there's a discussion of goats over on the Santa Clara thread.

3. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half of the Pac-12 teams are gone already

Arizona State got to play #3 seed Baylor at home, didn't help, Baylor won 3-1.

Auburn traveled to Seattle and knocked off Washington 2-1.

And Washington State outplayed #4 seed Portland, the match went to penalty kicks, the penalty kicks went nine rounds, WSU missed four of their last five, Portland advances.

Idaho State's goalkeeper made ten saves against Stanford, without which it would have wound up 13-0 instead of 3-0. Shots were 31-7. Stanford's goals all came in the first half.

Tomorrow UCLA hosts Wisconsin, and California has a tough match at Pepperdine.

Playoff trivia: #1 seed Florida State outshot Mississippi Valley State 39-1, on goal 21-0, in goal 6-0. The Devilettes (really) got called for the only foul of the evening, and at least they did get one shot off. Florida Gulf Coast was outshot by #2 seed Florida 19-0.

4. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A neighborhood team advances !!

Oh, wait, I guess that was a given. Anyway, the advancer is Denver, 3-1 over Colorado College. The first half was pretty much all Denver, although the lead was only 1-0. Second half was more evenly played. The four goals were scored by Kristen, Kaitlin, Kaitlin and Kaeli, if your first name doesn't begin with a K, don't bother shooting.

Next Friday they will play Stony Brook or #4 seed Maryland. Win that one, they likely get Stanford. Win that one, they likely get UCLA or San Diego State. Win that one ... that would be newsworthy, wouldn't it? The Denver Post might even give them a paragraph or two about their trip to the College Cup.

5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. SlyFox11

SlyFox11 Member

Nov 20, 2000
    The game was played in a cold hailstorm in Denver, which started right at kickoff and soon switched over to snow, making conditions rather miserable - it's too bad, since I think there would have been a much larger crowd were it not for the bad weather. DU remains 29-1-2 since ciber field opened in 2009.

7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    California advances

1-0 over Pepperdine, the goal came in the 87th minute. Cal gets the winner of San Diego State & Cal State Northridge (same university system, 23 universities, a few are "name of city or county" State, the others are California State University at "name of city", or two Cal Polys and the Maritime Academy).

SDSU-Northridge might be low scoring. Both goalkeepers give up less than half a goal per game. The Aztecs' GK has not been scored on after halftime.

8. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three out, three still in

Wisconsin amassed two shots at UCLA. No "only in soccer" story here, UCLA had 18, put one in in the middle of the first quarter and that was that, 1-0 Bruins. Next match is Kentucky.

Cal State Northridge outshot San Diego State 16-8. Of the 16, two were on goal, none went in. SDSU put four on goal and three of them in. California visits the Sports Deck next Friday evening. Parking is available directly underneath. This is not underground parking dug out under a soccer field. It was an existing structure and SDSU had no place for a soccer field so the top floor of the parking structure was replaced by a soccer field.

Cal State Long Beach gave Santa Clara the tough game that was expected. Not many shots were taken (10-7 SCU), most of those were on goal (6-6), SCU's freshman goalkeeper Andi Tostanoski from Colorado Springs saved five of them, her teammates scored twice in the first half, 2-1 Broncos. SCU now has the annual second-round game at Stanford.

News of the very immediate neighborhood

Boulder High School's State Championship match in Boys' Soccer was defeated by weather. Rescheduled for Monday at 6PM. Yes, that was the other high school in Boulder (Nikki Machalek etc.) playing for the championship a few months ago, and that same high school (Annie Stuller, Nikki Machalek etc.) winning it two years before.

Trivium

At volleyball this evening it was once again announced that Amy Barczuk and a Golf Dude were the CU Athletes of the Week. I paid more attention this time. Amy was honored for her game-winning goal at USC last Sunday. Really. It was shown as seen from the camera that was 500 feet in the air.

9. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally !!

I attended three events at the Events Center this weekend. At the third one, Kayla was correctly identified as the CU Athlete of the Week, and some of the "how did she do that?" saves were shown.

10. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News of the very immediate neighborhood

In the 5A (large schools) Colorado State Boys' Soccer Championship, Smoky Hill High School scored with eight seconds left in the match to ... UNKIEMARK, YOU TELL THEM !! You were there.

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    But the game was already over! Boulder High dominated scoring in the 6th minute and never letting up taking a 3-0 lead into the late stages of the match when Smokey Hill scored a consolation goal.

It was perhaps BHS's best performance of the season. They were great both technically and tactically. Although 3 goals may seem like a lot for a HS championship game it very close to being 5 or 6 goals.

It was a very cold night at Dick's Sporting Goods Park (Home of the Colorado Rapids) but the turnout was very good. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday afternoon, but was postponed to Monday night due to blizzard like conditions.

12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News of the Neighborhood

At Stanford this afternoon, #4 seed Maryland scored approximately immediately against Denver, then extended the lead in the 59th minute. Denver has a midfielder named Nicholette DiGiacomo, from Golden, and she apparently did not care for this situation. She scored at 67:42, 89:20, and 93:19, and the Pioneers play Stanford or Santa Clara on Sunday.

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that fun! And on her final goal, I was telling her to pass to the incoming runner on the left wing!

16. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then there were two

Stanford fought off a late rally to defeat Santa Clara 2-1. Statistics were very even, although Stanford had the ball most of them time. We've seen that. Stanford plays HOW 'BOUT THEM PIONEERS on Sunday.

Despite outshooting Kentucky 22-4, UCLA managed to eke out a 5-0 win. Sunday they play

San Diego State (GO AZTECS!!) who came from behind with two goals in the second half to defeat California 2-1. Rachel Boaz, the SDSU goalkeeper, was involved in a speeding motorcycle vs bicycle accident two years ago, she was on the bicycle. She survived, endured a difficult recovery, and still has not given up a goal in the second half of any game this season. And the Aztecs have her for two more years.

18. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This 'n' That

Future Denver soccer recruit Aubrey Hooker was introduced to the planet Saturday afternoon. Head coach Jeff Hooker arrived in time to witness the arrival, presented by assistant coach Katie Hooker. He caught a sunrise flight Sunday morning back to the Bay Area.

Alas, Denver was overmatched at Stanford. Score 3-0, shots 22-5, on goal 8-0.

Meanwhile, UCLA scored twice in the first 12 minutes and San Diego State never recovered. The punctuation was applied in the 68th minute when UCLA tallied the only second-half goal on SDSU's goalkeeper all season. 3-0 Bruins. Perhaps UCLA is finally playing up to their talent, sure looks like they did this weekend. The match was hard to watch, not only because of how it went, but my office was a few minute walk from SDSU's Sports Deck. In that office, an SDSU soccer woman invited me to a game, I went, I enjoyed it, and the rest is history. Were I God in my own universe, I would have witnessed today's loss in person because I would still work in that office.

Speaking of Boulder's State Champion Boys' Soccer team, who did they defeat in the semi-final? Fairview, Boulder's other high school, 1-0, a much stronger opponent that Boulder's opponent in the final.

19. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three Ones and a Two

Stanford, Penn State, Florida State and North Carolina are in the College Cup. There was disgruntlement that UNC was seeded #2 because they lost a few games this year and teams with better conference records were seeded lower. But at BYU, the score was close (2-1) but the game wasn't. UNC scored three minutes in and with four minutes in the second overtime. BYU scored in the first half but didn't put much pressure on the UNC defense.

At Stanford, UCLA scored early but not often. Stanford got two in the second half, that's two come-from-behind 2-1 wins over UCLA this season. Buff Soccer People can relate to the experience. I didn't watch, I was at basketball here, but the statistics were even, shots 13-12, on goal 7-6 (both UCLA), corner kicks 5-5.

20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  21. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln