Colombia's 2014 World Cup Squad

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Oct 11, 2013.

1. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Folks forget that Arias was huge for us in the U20 campaign. Top 3 players behind James and Muriel. He's also a very disciplined player in his position. It's why he's transitioned well in Europe. And competing as a "youngster" in the current PSV lineup is giving him a massive amount of experience. Medina's time will come... I just don't think it will be in Brazil. In fact, I get the feeling that had it been Porto and not Sporting, he would not have been traded so easily (and cheaply).

2. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agreed. Like I said, I am not dismissing Medina from the National team. Hell he may turn out to be a star, I just don't think he's ready for THIS world cup and that our other options are better. We say he had such poor games due to the powerful opponents, but it won't get any easier in the world cup.

3. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And so is Ortega, where is he now? Arias is great and Medina is great, there's a reason that Pekerman called both of them.

4. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Ortega was good but he was NOT James or Muriel and did not have the breakout performance that Arias had. Go back and watch that WC again. Even in the WCQ campaign Arias was dominant in his position, especially with James being absent. Remember, Ortega got the starting call mainly because Edwin Cardona was taken out of the WC squad. Cardona > Ortega except Cardona was obviously too immature and let his 'greatness' annoy even Lara. Arias had no substitute where Ortega simply did in a position where he's not neccesarily the fastest on the pitch.

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I love that kid Celis of Junior. Him and Perez of Nacional will be our future CM Pair. We have great youngsters but don't think they are ready yet. Arias is not a starter in Holland how exactly is he better than Medina?

6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Because he didnt poop his pants wearing our kit...yet. Medina may be talented but he has struggled in the first couple appearances (whether he should have been there or not). Doesnt mean he doesnt merit being part of the program, but certainly opens the door for others to outperform him and earn more minutes. I liked what i saw from arias in asuncion...

7. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Para mi Ortega estuvo en el mismo nivel en cuanto a jugadores determinantes en el mundial que James, Arias y Muriel.

pepinointer and Azucarero repped this.
  8. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    For me Ortega was a bit better than James in that tournament. Of course James' presence played a huge part in that. His--Ortega's--relationship with Muriel was another huge factor. It's unfortunate things didn't work out for him in Germany. I and several others on this forum envisioned him playing in Macnelly's spot right now.

pepinointer repped this.
  9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    just as many now envision jfq there...and yet macnelly never seems to go away! who knows what the future holds...

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ortega hizo como 6 asistencias en 6 partidos del mundial

No se cómo no meterlo en el mismo nivel de james o muriel .....y yo no se de donde sale ese mito qu Cardona era mejor....Cardona tenía talento pero no era que lo demostrara

11. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Medina, though he's made an admirable transition to RB, shows glimpses of incertitude in his play. As if he's not completely sure how to play the position. Understandable. It's only been a few months since the move and Nacional often utilize a 3-5-2 system. Arias despite not playing regularly for a couple years now looked completely natural against Paraguay.

Now I don't want to reignite the argument that one played in two do or die matches while the other played against an eliminated squad. We all know this. My gut says Arias outperforms Medina simply because he knows how to play the position better. We shall see...

ryu79 repped this.
  12. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Again, I'm not trying to decide who will be in the squad to Brazil, because for me both Medina & Arias are good, but I really don't understand how you guys can compare debut match in Montevideo when we HAVEN'T qualified yet, to an away game vs. the 9th team when we secured our qualification...Honestly. When Arias will play as relax as he was in Asuncion vs. tougher opponents, then I can tell that he deserves a spot over Medina. Until now, both of them has an equal chance since both of them needs to work hard in the NT.

pepinointer repped this.
  13. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Balanta va a ir al mundial porque le resuelve dos problemas a Pekerman, primero, es un defensor central rapido y fuerte que en caso de ser necesario puede jugar como lateral izquierdo pues tiene experiencia jugando allí aunque no es su posición natural, y esa es particularmente una de las posiciones en la que nos quedamos cojos si Armero se sale del papel y se mama una roja.

14. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    la teoria de ivan mejia, es que es otro caso de bernardo , lo llamo pa calmar a la prensa y despues lo descarto

15. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #115 Baal88, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    Bueh, ya veremos, yo creo que si va. Bernardo Espinoza no es sino alto. Cuando jugó en el Racing no me gusto en lo mas minimo. Balanta pasa mucho mejor y casi no lo cogen mal colocado.

16. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Don't forget that Balanta can also play as a DM, a position that he was occupy in his first years with the youth team of River until he became a CB.

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    dont forget that yepes can also play as a forward, a position that he was occupy in his first year in the professional footbal until he became a CB ...........:p #crzdstyle

ps: i know that your point is right .............i only was trolling:cool:, but it is tipically that some guys in the forum that critiizes all opinion and succes od the people and teams will argue in tht guy

18. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And I was about to tell you to stop acting like Crzd... :p

19. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    2 goals vs Paraguay...Just saying jajajaja

pibe10 repped this.
  20. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Colombia llego al 5to partido no al sexto. Ortgega termino con 3 asistencias y 0 goles versus James , 3 asistencias y 2 goles. James tambien se muestra mucho lider. Segundo, "Mito" para nada. Cardona fue el goleador de la eliminatoria (para Col) y de el torneo Toulon. Era un jugador determinante para esa selección. Todos sabemos que algo paso y Lara no le gusto y lo saco. Debio der culpa del propio jugador. No digo que Ortega fue/es malo, para nada.A lo que me refiero es que hizo mas falta (IMO) Cardona que Ortega. Nos falto Cardona, gustele o no y a lo que me refiero es que en el campo Arias era un líder que hizo mucho para sobresalir en ese mundial y en previas al mundial.

21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1.cardona pa mi no hizo falta cuando ortega, fue determinantisimo con sus asistencias.....ese equipo solo tuvo un mal partido contra mexico, peor planteado que por mal juego de los jugadores y erroes de defensa....cardona dudo que haya cambiado algo .......

2. que haya sido el goleador de un torneo donde fuimos pesimo no quiere decir, que se una verdad que cardona era mejor.....es como al comienzo de eliminatorias dorlan era nuestro goleador que ibamos pesimo, eso no quiere decir que era mejor que jackson o teo .......meter goles en estos torneoos cortos es aleatorio sobre el nivel real de jugadores...rodallega fue el goleador en sudamericano y ya en el mundial falcao ya era el goleador....y falcao ese mismo año metio sus goles de mostaza, que eran record para un juvenil con tan pocos partidos......

3nos falto cardona? es una opinion suya......y la mia es otra...no hay verdades absolutas, cuando se pueden buscar indicios que ortega podia ser mejor, al igual que para favorecer a cardona.......por que la verdad, ninguno hizo algo mas destacable que otro, lo que no ocurria con james que ya habia sido campeon TITULAR CON JAMES, y ya habia ganado una europa league dando su grano de arena , que con creces si era mejor que ambos en ese momento..por eso me parece un mito que entre ortega y cardona hubiera uno mejor

cardona hoy es suplente de ortega con junior.....de ortega se fijaron en el exterior, de cardona no.....

22. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    esto lo dice todo.

23. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

Muy mal aconsejado Cardona. Se noto que se creia ya lo mejor del planeta. Me parece que tiene bastante talento, buena estatura/fisico pero de lo mental..pufff. Todavia esta muy joven y que no este ya marcando diferencias en el FPC habla de que esta estancado. Lo de Ortega lo veo complicado que vuelva a Alemania pero si lo veo regresando a Mexico.

24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    si sube el nivel puede volver a europa o juega como ha venido jugando los ultimos partidos! no veo por que no pueda ir a europa.......esta joven, y en alemania pricnipalmente tuvo mala suerte con las lesiones

de hecho en mexico, a nuestros volantes les cuesta adapatarse........aldo tuvo que volver a colombia antes de adaptarse, riflecito anda casi sin jugar, marrugo tuvo que cambiar de equio

bacca, a esa edad estaba en segunda division de venezuela y despues volvio a colombia.....montero, volvio a colombia para irse a un mejor destino ...........volver a casa no te estanca la carrera

lo de cardona es triste, por que hasta comenzo jugando bien esta temporada y fue importante el titulo de santa fe............pero ya con tanto talento emergente.....casos cn jugadores tipo cardona y pino, indicsplinados no me da trsiteza perderlos

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Any updates on Macnelly Torres play in the Middle East?