College coaching salaries

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by uk rules, Apr 7, 2006.

1. uk rules

uk rules New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    How much money do the following coaching situations pay (not including camps, clubs, etc...)?

Head coach D1.
    Head coach D2 and 3.
    Head coach NAIA.
    Assistant coach D1.

Who are the highest paid coaches in each league and how much do they make?
    Are there any assistants making 100,000?

2. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I think you have to define as top tier vs middle tier vs bottom tier.

My guess:

Div I top tier 65,000-150,000
    Middle tier 35,000-55,000
    Bottom tier 20,000-30,000

Div II Top tier 45,000-80,000
    Middle Tier 30,000-40,000
    Bottom tier 18,000-30,000

Div Three should be close to Div II

NAIA Top Tier 35,000-80,000 (although they may be AD or someting)
    Middle Tier 18,000-35,000
    Bottom tier Part-time to 20,000

Assistant coaching salaries probably range from 18,000-75,000 for a base and a large chunk for camps and clinics would probably put them over 100,000

3. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I think you're going to be hard pressed to find even top tier D1 coaches whose base salary (exclusive of benefits) is higher than $80,000. The bulk of their revenue is derived from camp income and/or sponsorship deals. The median for D1 coaches is in the $45K - $55K range. Most of these positions are university employee types, where salaries are only on par with non-tenured administrative staff.

4. Ted Eck

Ted Eck New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I think...better yet know that it would be a lot easier to find 3-4head guys who make over 100K before you could find one (or any for that matter) assistants whose base salary is 75K (as indicated by allthatjazz who says assistants salaries are 18-75) I doubt that Uconn IU UCLA et all have any assistants who make 75K

Am I wrong?

5. d-2 fan

d-2 fan New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    I would guess that with camps and other opportunities that an assistant could make a good living. 100K plus. I would agree that the base salaries are probably between 18,000-50,000.

6. mogumbo

mogumbo New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    There is very little rhyme or reason to collegiate soccer coaching salaries. I know a junior college coach who makes 85k and a D1 head coach who makes 24k. So much of salary ranges has to do with the institution's commitment to athletics and the other job responsibilities given to the head coach. This is especially true in division 3. Salaries at the d3 level vary and alot of it has to do with the strength of the university $$$.

7. congo2

congo2 New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Seriously, put down the pipe. :rolleyes:
    Assistant coaches making 100k? Your guess is way off base.

8. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Division 1 a 150 K? I doubt it. MLS head coach starting is about 150 K

Top pointy college coach about a million a year I would think.

9. Mr_HoseHead

Mr_HoseHead Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Huh? Well, maybe in Trinidad & Tobago dollars...

A $1M coach in a non-revenue sport is probably rarer than hen's teeth. Heck - there are plenty of revenue sport coaches who would love to get a big raise to that level. There are really very few coaches who can command that kind of salary for a team who's bringing millions at the gate, plus media - in non-revenue land the only way to do that is to have pictures (of the college president in compromising positions, and even then they'd better be really, really good...). While I'd love to think that there is such an opportunity in coaching soccer in the US, I don't think that even Arena makes that much in salary.

10. d-2 fan

d-2 fan New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    100k with all of the camp and other income is not unrealistic for the top assistants. I would bet that Todd Yeagley at IU, along with the other elite assistants would do very well.

11. uk rules

uk rules New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    D1 Notre Dame 125,000
    D2 Seattle Pacific 100,000
    D3 Trinity 70,000
    NAIA Lindsey Wilson 90,000
    JUCO ?
    Assist U Conn 90,000

12. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Which would put them in the top 1/10th of 1 percentile of college coaches, if true. Since you seem to have answered your own question (although I think your numbers are suspect if they're actually only salary), I'm curious as to why numbers of that magnitude are useful, when the actual average and median incomes are WAY less.

13. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    It was reported that Louis Bennett saw his salary increase from $ 64K at UW-M to $ 90K when he took the Marquette job.

14. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Do you know what pointy is? It is not soccer it is American football. They charge to get in they play in stadiums and they get money for television. A place like Nortre damn the coach gets a miillion in american diollars.

15. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    You can sell yellow page space and make houndred fifty thousand or more.

16. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Just checked this Notre Dame is apparently paying their new football coach $2.5 million per year.

17. 5hole

5hole Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Not sure where you got those numbers as to ass't salaries but there is NO way they make that much money in just salary and camp money's are not public knowledge and are year to year based on the camps performance. Unless you are the accountant of these guys you are smoking crack. A good D1 ass't makes 35-50k (and there are only a handful making near 50k) and around 10-20k in camp. Ass't typically take a smaller cut than the head coach, even if the head coach doesn't do much.

It doesn't help that A LOT of the schools with money don't even have men's soccer (Big XII, SEC, some Pac 10.) It is like any sports whereby the market determines value and without Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Georgia etc the smaller schools can compete financially. Basically you have the Big Ten and some Pac 10. Even the ACC schools are not among the most financially endowed.

If you throw in car, cell phone, health, 403B, life, dental and gold membership you push past the 100k for the best head coaches in the best jobs.

18. Mr_HoseHead

Mr_HoseHead Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Man, it is soooo tempting to say something like "someone's head?"...

So did I know what "pointy" meant? Nope - sorry if I misunderstood that particular localism. Since this is the "USA Men's College & Amateur" forum, a reference like "pointy" would generally mean absolutely nothing to anyone from the USA - and yup, I am from them thar USA and have just never heard that specific term (here or anywhere we've been across the ponds). Sorry.

I'd also guess that if you'd said "American Football" or even just football then probably 95%+ of everyone who frequents this forum could have had a better basis for judging your comment about a "top pointy college coach about a million a year" (which we'd all know is way, way off, isn't it?). Oh - and while we're at it, a reference like "Nortre damn" - that's just asking for an attitude adjustment from the Gipper. And y'all do know who the Gipper is, don't you? Right - we'll just call things even and rejoin our regularly scheduled thread...

19. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Gipper was Ronald Regan.

So american football big college team pays their coach a lot of money.

Soccer coaches make chump change in comparrision.

20. BlackRob

BlackRob Guest

A relative that coached DI on the East Coast said that he made $98K with bonus incentives based on how well the team performed. This was 5+ years ago.

21. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    What do you do for a living then, if you are so sure that you can make $ 150K in phone book sales? Sales positions always have high ceilings, but plenty of competition and stress, and plenty of salesmen and women don't ever reach those kinds of numbers.