College Coach Salaries

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ACSOCCER, Feb 17, 2007.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just browsing around and saw this thread, and was thinking this exactly. I graduated from UMd in 2000, and remember when Sasho's wife was women's head coach. IIRC, he was making about $125k, and she was making $90k-$100k or more. At the time, Sasho was in the top 10 of all paid employees at UMd (including the Gary Williams, the President, and the football coach).

2. Futbol0020

Futbol0020 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Typical newbie idiot statement.

Camps + Youth Soccer
    EQUALS
    Money + Recruits + Community Support for College Soccer

If these coaches did not run camps, coach at local clubs, or engage the surrounding communities in anyway, there would be like 50 parents and maybe 100 students at every college soccer game.

Where would IU be without camps and community support?

3. Mike Fekula

Mike Fekula Member

Oct 19, 2000

OK, thanks Sandon. Maryland's Diamondback does not have this info online. I have the hardcopy from last year -- the one issue every year that Maryland faculty and staff are more likely to hold on to than any other :) for the obvious reason. As to the public's ability to access this info, I know that a detailed hardcopy of the university's budget is available on request if one goes in person to the university library. If I am not mistaken, you can walk in, show an ID, and ask to see it. You are also allowed to photocopy it at whatever they charge per page and it is self-serve copying. I am not aware of the database being kept online anywhere.

As to the Leo Cullen situation, I have mixed feelings about it. I cannot fault a man for taking an opportunity that has an income potential well above that which his previous employer would ever be able to pay. That's the American Way, right? But I share your concern about his access to the Maryland players that had just declared for the pros. The departure of all three from Maryland happened at about the same time. It is going to look suspicious even if it is perfectly legal.

I would also guess this did not do any favors for Leo's previous boss, Brian Pensky, who like every other D1 soccer coach was nearing the national letter of intent day and trying to secure recruits. The Terp women ended up having a pretty good recruiting year anyway, but the timing didn't help.

4. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    Another interesting NCAA rule is that a coach cannot coach a youth club unless it is within some distance (50 miles, I think) of his campus. The reason is supposedly to prevent a coach from gaining a non-local recruiting advantage. So, if you take a job in a college town that is 55 miles from Chicago, and the Magic want you to coach a summer premier league or Super-Y team, you cannot do it. This actually was enforced against my son's Super-Y league team a couple of years ago. A local college coach switched jobs, moving from 10 miles away from the club to 60 miles away, and he had to drop the Super-Y assignment the week before the season was supposed to start in June. The fact that he was already an employee of that club, and had been for years, did not matter. In fact, he had to resign his employment entirely.

So, a coach better be aware of what his opportunities really are before he takes a college job.

5. Mike Fekula

Mike Fekula Member

Oct 19, 2000
    ClarkC,
    That would seem to put the coaches in more rural areas at an unfair disadvantage. A coach here at Maryland can find quite a number of club coaching opportunities within a 50 mile radius of the College Park campus. How is the guy who is coaching at the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks supposed to find club opportunities within 50 miles of his campus? The coach at Hawaii-Loa is probably out of luck altogether. I should think they ought to extend the range a bit.

6. SammyP

SammyP Member

Nov 6, 2006
    The rule is that the players who would play on the coach's team must reside within a 50 mile radius of the coach's campus - so it is not where the club is located, but rather the actual homes of the team members.

7. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    FWIW. There's an exception if there are no opportunities for competitive play within that 50 mile radius. It's not a problem in very rural areas with very few clubs.

8. 5hole

5hole Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    I think you misread my post. It says Head D1 job pay range is 25k 10 low 100s.

9. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    What would this be if translated into intelligible English?

10. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Which is true, but hardly useful information as an answer to the original question.

11. kickeru

kickeru Member

Feb 23, 2006
    The item below is from Soccer America magazine:

Paula Wilkins' decision to leave Penn State for Wisconsin was a surprise. First of all, the Nittany Lions are a perennial national contender, expected to again challenge for a Women's College Cup berth in 2007. Secondly, she is a native Pennsylvanian, having grown up in Middletown.

"My decision was based primarily on things in my personal life and the desire for a new challenge," Wilkins said in making the announcement that she was leaving Happy Valley in late January.

The Wisconsin State Journal reported that Wilkins will receive a "groundbreaking deal." It said she will be paid a base salary of $90,000, making her the first Badger women's head coach to earn more than her men's counterpart. The State Journal reported that UW men's head coach Jeff Rohrman is paid $55,894 for an 11-month contract.

12. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

do you have a link?

13. iman2464

iman2464 New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    George Gelnovatch at UVA (as of 2004) made $62,000 per year. Assistant Coach Mike McGinty made $36,000. The strength and conditioning coach made $30,000. This was in 2004, but I doubt the numbers are much higher.

14. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    You can find it in the NCAA D1 manual, on their website. But SammyP is correct. It's a 50 mile radius from the campus.

15. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Hold up, I am having trouble clearly figuring out what is being said in these series of posts by different people

A club by me is run by an old Marist Coach who was still coaching at the time he took that job, who also coaches the U-13s. The U-17 also have an assistant coach who is the assistant at Marist currently. What does this mean? The club and Marist are like 10 minutes apart...

Edit: NVM, I was reading things wrong, I see my answer

16. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    Huh? My son was commuting 70 miles to a Super-Y team. The other players were from well within 50 miles. So, according to your post, they would have had to cut my son or fire the college coach who was coaching the Super-Y, because of the presence of my son?

Picture a club team or Super-Y team that draws players from a large radius around a city. No college coach could ever coach such a team?

17. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    That is correct.

18. livestock

livestock New Member

Dec 27, 2004
    be here now
    By definition, that is the rule...the college coach (or assistant) can't coach any club team in which any of the players lives more than 50 miles from the location of his campus. So, your son's coach was in violation of a minor NCAA rule every time he and your son were on the field together.
    If the coach/institution wants to "self-report" the violation, they probably won't face any sanction other than the coach being told to study the NCAA manual more closely (while needing to leave the lucrative Super-Y club...as long as your son continues to be rostered).

19. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Ummm....No. Actually incorrect, as I noted in my earlier post. To wit, from the NCAA D1 Manual:

13.11.2.3.1 Exception The 50-mile radius restriction shall not apply to a prospective student-athlete who resides outside a 50-mile radius of the institution, provided the institution documents that the local sports club is the closest opportunity for the prospective student-athlete to participate in the sport. (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06).

As long as the player has no closer option in terms of competition level (i.e. "opportunity"), 50 miles is not an issue. So, if the question is a Super Y team, and there's only one Super Y team in the region, the answer is it's not going to be any problem that the institution is going to worry much about.

These sorts of things are actually published. No point in winding people up without good reason.

20. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Probably not - see my prior post.

You might follow your own advice here.

21. Ted Eck

Ted Eck New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Can we get back to salaries?

22. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Sure. Now that we've concluded that coaches are in fact allowed to coach recruiting age players who live beyond a 50 mile radius, under certain conditions, and be compensated accordingly.

23. Coach Downing

Coach Downing New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Bennington Vt
    The NCAA requires all colleges in the ncaa to report salaries and all forms of expense to write a gender equity report. There you can find all information about the average spending for sports programs.

Listed below are the average salaries for the 2003-2004 report
    Men Women
    D1 48,500 46,200
    d2 23,500 22,700
    d3 17,500 15,900

If you would like you can go to this link or search NCAA for Gender equity report to find out more. IE assistants salaries, recruitment budget, sports budgets, and so on enjoy
    http://www.ncaa.org/library/research/gender_equity_study/2002-03/2002-03_gender_equity_report.pdf

Coach Downing

24. livestock

livestock New Member

Dec 27, 2004
    be here now

Dsocc:
    Your absolutely correct...my bad.
    I live and work in an area of the country in which the 50 mile radius incorporates literally 100's of club teams and projected a universal conclusion from personal circumstances.:eek:

And to get back on track, personally know full-time (10 month contracts) D III coaches earning $60,000.