News: Colin Clark Issues Apology

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breakdown in communication. I was referring to the reaction and punishment. I'm defending Clark's right to yell slurs at anyone. And what you mentioned is one thing that I love about soccer and our city. There just seems to be some discrepancies to how the league reacted to this situation and the Nguyen situation.

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gay mafia is out in force on this one. Go to the Dynamo website and look at the Facebook comments below the article. The Houston GLBT group posted that they requested a meeting with the Dynamo FO to discuss the incident. Are you kidding me?

Every gay group looking to get mileage out of this, like the black groups and politicians on the hoodie shooting (although the facts aren't helping them)

3. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005
    You are beyond ignorant. And you are clearly behind the times. This generation is moving towards being much more open and accepting, and saying shit like "f***ing f*got" to a child are not acceptable. Especially when
    it's caught on camera.

Seriously, your angry nobody STOOD UP FOR HIM? Who the hell stands up for someone who says something like that? And it doesn't matter if its his only "slip" as you say, one slip is all that matters. He had to be fined for that "one slip".

And shut your freaking mouth with the its common locker room bullshit. IT DOESN'T MATTER! What a bunch of grown men say to each other behind closed doors does NOT compare to what a grown man yells at a child on national television.

Your opinion is wrong, sorry.

4. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    WOW. I wish people were more vocal about racism. Where were you when we complain to MLS about racist incidents on the road?

5. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Come one . . .MLS is only serious about things caught on TV. You need to get the racist behavior caught on ESPN.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This generation also acts more entitled and is lazier when they enter the workforce from what I see.

If he was suspended for yelling at a kid, it would be one thing. But it's clear it was for what he said, not to whom.

Go post in the MLS news forum if you feel so strongly

7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    YUP!

i've been to away games at Chivas, Dallas, Seattle, Kansas City, DCU, NYRB, and LA Galaxy.

the first 4 are not very diverse in-stadium crowds. the last 3 are due to the demograpics of the city in which they play. Houston has all of them beat and to me that's so frkn awesome. i think its very reprensentative of the nature of our city: laid-back, diverse and welcoming and i think we as a fanbase should reassess ourselves to make sure all home (and away) fans are welcomed into our new stadium. it would be a great legacy.

when i played intramural at UofH i completely lost count on the # of different nationalities/ethnicites that had club teams. the diversity was mind-boggling and i know in 2010 the students sponsored a mini WC tournament. as a city and a fanbase, i would rather be known for that than for others things.

8. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree rey, I do think that based on other events that have gone without suspension or with less that the suspension is too long, but it was an act that merited punishment.

As far as calling people WTBCKS, I just found out today that the term "Chinaman" is equal to that. Now I doubt I ever would have said that, but I do say "Englishman" "Irishman" "Frenchman" 8( It coulda happened to me (and I probably heard about this when it happened with Yao, but anyway)

There are just a lot of terms out there that we may or may not realize are hurtful and offensive to segments of society.

9. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    WC, I have both defended and criticized you in the past but this time you're just out there buddy. You're not funny, you're not offering constructive or logical contrarian points of view, you're just defending bigotry in one of its many forms.

With your focus on liberal media, and queer mafias, and pressures from some apparently abnormal groups you're failing to recognize that America has passed you by. "Those people" are America. I'll use a Conservative line...If you don't like it in America, go back where you came from.

Rey has it right, this is about common decency; that's all.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    you know, i feel ya'll on this.

perhaps a game or 2 would of been enough. 3+ should be reserved for the insanely offensive/downright criminal: broken legs, showing no remorse for actions, etc.

which is why i thought Art Van's idea of a self-suspension was genius. the player could of sat himself one game and donated his salary (if he chose to, he shouldn't be force to) to a charity. i strongly believe Clark to truly feel remorseful of what he did and you can make an valid argument that the book was thrown at him, but unfortunately the league had to act. perhaps he should of acted first and more 'mercy' would of been shown.

11. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this, and your first post about the suspension too. I posted that I hated MLS making an example every time the Dynamo do something wrong. But I do agree it should be punished, I just think 3 games for something he was immediately remorseful and apologetic for is very harsh.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how would you rate the America of today compared to past decades? If your idea of America is trending toward a third world country then fine.

And if the GLBT groups represent "America" why do they need any special protections? Aren't we all equal? Why are they more equal than me? If someone calls me "cracker", I don't think they get suspended from their job. I mean, if you can prove to me Eve was really a man and God intended these things . . .

13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nobody really believes in the bible anymore--that's so third-world superstition.

14. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure you live in Texas? Why are the Republicans using that as their main political strategy? You have to remember that there's still a segment of the population that wouldn't vote for Obama because they thought he was a Muslim, and there's also a segment of the population that is hesitant in nominating Romney because he's not Christian enough since he's a Mormon.

15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, it was really just dry humor on my part.

16. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It hasn't changed at all dude. People from different nationalities still come out and play indoor at the Rec Center, which I find awesome :D

17. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not "giving" you anything other than an example of how your rationalization of "Expanded Vocabulary" making it ok to use a term like that directed at a Kid is off base. The difference between hearing something at a Game, be it Player to Player, Coach to Player(s) or Ref or Fans doing a chant or having one or more of those individuals say something like that directed at you should be obvious. If you cannot see that then maybe your Vocabulary is not as extensive as you seem to think.

18. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry...I completely missed it. :eek:

19. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What an Idiot.

20. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let me see if I have this right:

Brian Mullan: 10 game suspension for snapping Steve Zakuani's leg.

Colin Clark: 3 game suspension for using a homophobic epithet.

Does anyone else see what a joke this is? A one game suspension MIGHT have been ok. But THREE???

MLS got this one terribly wrong and have now set a precedent than any sort of "unacceptable" language can be punished by a three match suspension.

Clark made a mistake. He apologized. That should have been the end of it.

MLS = Fail.

21. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are you people? :(

22. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back at ya tough guy. Although, I do find humor in the irony.

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    My respect for MLS and American soccer has dropped even lower. All the self righteous indignation and naval-gazing is pathetic. So many people have lost all perspective these days.