News: Colin Clark Issues Apology

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lolwat

3. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol

4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I think the self-suspension would be a great idea. Serious fair play move.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you ever play a team sport where you had to use a locker room? Did you ever play at recess? There were two names for one game when I was a kid where one person has the ball/football and everyone else has to tackle them: Kill the Carrier or Smear the Queer. I suspect the latter was used regularly on playgrounds across this country.

WTF with the PC police. If he called the kid a "loser" is that an anti-winning "slur"? Next time I hear cracker or honky or "stupid Irish mick" I'll be sure to go file a complaint down at HPD or better yet, Art, I'll let you know and you can take care of it.

"Take responsiblity for what he did"??? WTF??? Did he pull a Sandusky up there in Seattle or something?

THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING that Clark did was tweet his unnecessary apology, which brought attention to it. Lesson one, most of these guys on twitter need to learn how to put on the brakes before they go out an tweet things.

6. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should the whole team suffer?

7. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmfao ya'll conservative white people crack me up with cries of political correctness every time a bad word controversy pops up.

8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    How would the whole team suffer? We've gotten nothing from that right side the first three games. LOL. J/K.

On a serious note, that's the whole point behind the concept of fair play. We clap when a penalty taker purposely misses an undeserved PK or someone gives the ball back on an injury reset. Clark doing this would show a big set of balls and principles (pun intended). Would show the statement being made is more important than 3 points.

Now I don't think he should be forced into it by external pressures. I think it would mean a lot more if it came from the player himself.

9. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thank you. He can pay a fine / serve punishment handed down by the league and make a donation to charity without hurting our campaign to make the playoffs. Hopefully that would be enough to pacify everyones feelings.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I was saying if he's not suspended by the league. I was operating under that premise, because he probably hasn't broken a specific league rule to warrant suspension. At least one that would pass the smell test with the player's union.

And concerning feelings: when a Houston fan dropped a jungle reference on Louis Crayton back in 2008, Texian Army (and specifically Dr. Ludicrous) spearheaded a "say no to racism banner". Not because the insulter was part of Texian Army but because we wanted to take a stand as a fan base.

11. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He apologized, deserves a second chance, fine him or make him volunteer, if he does it again kick him to the curb. </thread>

12. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He apologized - that should be good enough, no fine, no suspension, no further action necessary.

Are we now to begin sanctioning players because they say something in the heat of competition - merely because it offends someone? Should Blanco have been sanctioned when he was yelling at a Houston ballboy who was slow giving him the ball?

How about fans? Let's start sanctioning them for bad language, for calling referees incompetent, for yelling "pluto".

Colin apologized - let the ball boy decide.

13. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I can see it now-

Clark "Coach-I want to self impose a game suspension-don't play me next week"

The Dom "OK-but it's because you suck, not because you called the kid a F$%ot"

14. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he had called the kid a "f***ing idiot" it still would have been bad. There are just one too many things here to let this slide. It's the f-bomb, mixed with the homophobic slur, mixed with yelling it at a minor.

The league doesn't need it's players cussing at kids, and it especially doesn't need the players screaming slurs at them.

I don't think he needs to go to rehab or anything, I understand how it happens, it's a term that was once commonly used, you fall back into that sometimes. It happens. When it does, you have to pay the price. In this case, it should be a suspension and a fine.

15. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't my board and clearly this isn't my team but simply because something was considered acceptable once-upon-a-time doesn't mean it is today.

Call a co-worker that in front of customers and see what happens.

And yes, I played Smear the Queer as a kid and we used to call people ******** in the locker room. But calling a kid that wouldn't have been kosher in any day and national TV certainly isn't a 1980s locker room.

16. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    The concern about the "F bomb" just cracks me up! I'd be willing to take a bet that the kid's response off-mike was "F-you Clark!" The gay slur is one thing, but you can hear the F Bomb on any middle school playground in America. It's just another adjective.

17. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, that probably was the kid's response, he looked to be 15 or so.

I don't have a problem with it, but obviously, the MLS would and should. They have a brand to uphold and communities that they are active in. Their representatives, can't be calling kids "f***ing" anything, even in the heat of a game. It's not acceptable and he should face the consequences.

18. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Help me out here (I haven't read all the links). Was this a big thing before Collin tweeted his apology? How did it first come up? I've met Collin and his family, he's a nice guy and this is out of character for him. I know his apology is sincere. I also agree what he said was inappropriate and I know Collin agrees. My feeling is it would have been so much better had he made his apology face to face to the kid, not through twitter for the world to see. If that had happened, say at the end of the game, would anyone have even known of the incident?

19. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    That kid was a Wolves fan... so make some allowance

Also the father refused medical treatment in Wolverhampton, instead taking public transport (rail) to Shrewsbury and seeing a doctor there

21. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny because of a Houston dynamo player flicked me off on the freeway, I'd get a bumper sticker saying he did that to me and I'm super honored

22. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

THIS. Oh my god. The implication that what he did was ok in anyway is asinine and I am ashamed that anybody who thinks that is a fan of the same team that I am. If you think "not a huge deal, he made a mistake and apologized", then fine; but the idea that this is no big deal or worse THAT IT IS OK AND ACCEPTABLE???????!!!!!! That is just crazy.

Eeenie Meenie My-nee mo, catch a "tigger" by the toe, if he hollars let him go, Eeenie Meenie My-nee mo. This was equally as common as "smear the queer" if not more so, FYI. Guess, that makes it ok.

23. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you being serious?

A self imposed suspension?

For what reason? To appease all the liberal pc groups who eagerly want their pound of flesh while exhibiting their own intolerance towards other groups?

I don't think so.

He made his apology and that's that. Time for everyone to move on. Hey, see what I did there? "Move On?"

24. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree that it's not ok to yell slurs, yell at kids, or yell slurs at kids. But I don't think the gay community needs self-righteous bigsoccer posters coming to their defense. I hope that Colin isn't labeled 'bigot' for the rest of his career. It really isn't up to any of us to judge a man's heart. I hope his apology will be accepted.

We live in a world where Max Bretos was suspended for using a phrase that sounded like a racial slur. I also understand the backlash against political correctness even if it isn't always well spoken. In the end, words only have the power that we give them. But an effort should be made not to be offensive. Even to us hetero white guys :)

25. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Where the heck did you grow up-I never heard that "tigger" thing. Then again I had family from TX-no one in NY had ever heard of "Sambo", so I actually had to explain that to some folks.

The funny thing-I never heard "Smear the Queer" until I got to Texas. NYers are into the Kill thing-pretty common with the mob and all.