Coaching Thread: The Caretaker Edition

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    @FRANCESCalciO: Il Messaggero says today that Max Allegri has chosen to leave Milan at season's end and join Roma.

Don't know if this is true or not yet

2. Deini

Deini Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Holland
    Il Messaggerro even reported 2 names he is going to take with him to Roma as his assistents.

3. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's not hard to speculate that.

Allegri is very much a 4-3-3 man, poor De Rossi would not get to play "his position" again.

4. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Probably should just see how much he's worth on the open market then if he's going to be a problem going forward.

Also, Zenit has put feelers out about Mancini for next season.

5. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
  6. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I really do not like this 3421 formation at all. I want us to go back to the 433.

8. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.forza-roma.com/67960/mangiante-su-panchina-roma-scelto-gia-il-nuovo-allenatore

9. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    April's Fool

whill4 and Andreas repped this.
  10. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Talk of Panucci being a possible candidate for coach. They say that Baldini feels he reminds him of Capello. As far as I know Christian still doesn't even have a coaching license.

11. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if he has someone on the bench with one he can manage until he gets his own.

12. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Is it really worth to take another gamble? I really like Panucci and I want him involved with the club in some form. But I'd also like to see a show of strength in that department. Twice they wanted Villas Boas and failed to get him and settle. I'd like to see the first choice signed this summer. And hopefully he is not that exotic. Because you can't bring in a disciplinarian to run the show and then let the players do what they do.

SoCalYid repped this.
  13. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm completely clueless with the whole manager thing, they'll pick who they pick. I'm bored trying to predict who the guy will be, we'll just be doing again next year.

I was just popping in with that bit, someone else had that situation that I can't remember, but I think he was a highly rated manager. It's going to bother me all day now because I can't remember.

14. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I may be wrong but I think Stramaccioni is still in the process of getting his.

Agree about getting tired of speculation and that it's kind of depressing since some kind of stability has been what we've needed more than anything with all the new signings, so many of them inexperienced, for the past two seasons.

15. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Honestly dont really care who it is because I feel like no mater who we install we'll be having this discussion again this time next year.

16. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lots of signings AND renewals (or lack-there-of) depend on who the coach is next year. I don't care who it is, but if we take too long to secure a coach our mercato is going to be a rushed and pointless affair, and the new coach we get will suffer the same fate Zeman did — You can't have Zemanlandia without the right players in key positions, lots of coaches are the same... Bielsa (which is one of my top choices, is).

17. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't know man, you can't hire a guy like that unless you are prepared to go all the way. Luis Enrique was given all the time in the world because he had the players on his side. Everyone was happy, they didn't train much. They could go out the nights before matches. If they lost it was always Enrique's fault and more time needed to be given. With Zeman when he had the players turn against him the club never came to his aid and when push came to shove they chose to back the players. Bielsa is a freaking animal, he sees an Osvaldo punch Lamela and he's liable to do something crazy like beat Osvaldo with a broom. You can't hire that kind of man unless you are committed to him. I worry that we would be able to bring forward that commitment.

I think they need to hire an Italian this time around. The money is not there for a top foreign coach. And I don't think another disciplinarian should come, I don't see why they would commit to him should the same problems arise.

wm72 repped this.
  18. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I want an italian coach.

19. stugotz

stugotz Member+

May 20, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I want a coach that is going to beat our players with brooms.

20. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Roma looking at Donadoni

21. SeiUnica

SeiUnica Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Donadoni would be in line with our mediocre signings. We´ll secure 6-10 spot before March.

22. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Yeah... that's my crux, the coaches that I like require commitment from the club's owners AND players, as well as purchasing the right players for their key positions.

Sadly I don't see our owners doing any of this, so although Bielsa is my top choice (behind Spalletti - however, this current Roma does not deserve Spalletti) , this club is not right for Bielsa :(

So in the end... I don't know who should be our next coach, as I want to see proper attacking football, but I don't want to see this club do another half-assed attempt at it and commit another injustice like they did to Zeman.