Coaching Thread: The Caretaker Edition

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma

Like the formation looks good, just those 2 changes in red I'd like to see.

Andreas repped this.
  2. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In Italy most people are describing him as another proponent of "un calcio arrogante" as a choice who is not far from the philosophy that lead to choosing Luis Enrique and Zeman.

3. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    *Facepalm*
    This is so ********ed up.

La Magica and Midfield General repped this.
  4. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    It works either way. ;)

5. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Are you people kidding me that formation will be over run just the same as Zeman's if not worse. The only smart thing to do is acknowledge that no midfield in Italy can support Totti, Lamela, Pjanic, and Osvaldo on the same pitch. That only works on FIFA where you can hold the chase the ball button when you are not in possession.

zako repped this.
  6. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It could work man long as Pjanic and Lamela track back,Heck even Totti this season has put a fair old shift in helping out the defence. Bradley and DDR gives us plenty of protection for the back line and those 4 forward players are well able to create plenty of goal scoring opportunities.

7. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think the only way we can thrive now is employ a diamond shape midfield as none of our players are true wingers...Something like a midfield made up of:
    ----De Rossi----
    Bradley---Florenzi
    ------Pjanic-----

Supporting the duo of Lamela and Osvaldo
    -----Lamela------
    --------Osvaldo----

With subs being Totti for Lamela and Destro for Osvaldo...

8. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Bench Totti who has being one of our best player this season if not our best ?

9. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Actually, you could leave the attacking to those 4 and use the rest of the players to defend and guard the counters. One of the midfielders could occasionally join to help but that's it. I'd play counter attacking football with that formation. When you retrieve the ball in d, just whip it to Totti who then has 3 equally good options upfront. And if he can't find a good pass, nobody can.

Big Tom repped this.
  10. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't see it and truthfully I think if it wasn't for the fresh memory of Spalletti I don't think anyone would even suggest it. If a 3 man midfield couldn't support our 3 attacking players I don't see how a 2 man would. I also don't see how after the exaustion of Zeman's football we could field a formation that ask huge sacrifice from two players (Pjanic & Lamela).

Why not do something that is easy on everyone and put's everyone to use without major strain? To me the answer is simple:

Stekelenburg​
    Marcos - Burdisso - Castan ​
    Piris - De Rossi - Florenzi - Dodo​
    Pjanic ​
    Lamela - Osvaldo​
    Compact and ready to counter attack. Works with the characteristics of our players without asking for superhuman strain. Totti has been walking around the pitch for weeks and you guys propose playing him as a trequartista in a 4-2-3-1. Do we not remember the kilometers Perrotta would run over the course of 90 minutes with Spalletti? ​
    I think the above formation is much easier on us and better considering our fragile condition. You morph into a 5 man defensive line when not in possession. You have two players for every position, except the defense. However we can make due until the end of the year. Plus the fans will never need to see Tachtsidis again. ​

lb961 repped this.
  11. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Another formation I wouldn't mind seeing.

...............................Stek........................
    ..Torosidis....Marcus....Castan....Balzaretti...
    ......Bradley.........De Rossi............Pjanic......
    ............................Lamela...........................
    ..................Osvaldo...............Totti..............

That or the 4-2-3-1

12. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    For me it's very simple Totti, Pjanic, Lamela, and Osvaldo can not all be on the field at the same time. Nothing can convince me otherwise.

13. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    4-2-3-1 is my favorite formation.

14. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma

We played 3 at the back once this season and we got ripped to shreds just as much as when have been playing with 4.Perhaps if we had a better CB than Burdisso in there I'd be much more open to the idea.

15. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ripped to shreads ... the game we won against Fiorentina? As opposed to playing a back for and being trashed by 4 goals?

16. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma

We got lucky,very lucky,Fiorentina created tons of chances in that match from what I remember.

17. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I still believe our midfield and attacking players are more suited to playing a diamond midfield and two central strikers, with Lamela drifting more as a supporting one...

18. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was accused of racism because he was taped in a private meeting saying he wanted the youth academies of Franece to cut the intake of African players to 30% and that these youth academies were focusing far too strongly on the physical strengths of players rather than their technical ability.

When the story broke dozens of black and Arabian team-mates came out in his defence (guys such as Thurmas, Karembeu, Desailly, Henry, etc) . And the national papers were pleading with him to stay on shortly after when Blanc said he was considering resigning over the incident.

We don't really have an black players anyway.

Blanc does seem quite intelligent compared to most football managers and he has worked under an array of coaches during his playing days.

Henchag repped this.
  19. bingos

bingos Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I see the "just get rid off Totti" camp already at full speed.
    What a shame! 8 goals and 6-7 assist and defending and playing for the team aren't enough....

20. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

21. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Who said anything about getting rid of Totti ... there are two players to every position in my formation with the exception of the defensive line. If you need it spelled out for you here is the alternate version:

Lobont​
    Marcos - Budisso - Castan​
    Torosidis - Bradley - Marquinho - Balzaretti ​
    Totti ​
    Lopez - Destro​
    Alternate them as you please and don't put words in my mouth!​

22. bingos

bingos Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That is ridiculous. Why not play Totti behind Osvaldo and Lamela, but give in front of him too less players, to make him look worst? Not to mention that Destro is out for two months. You cannot fool me.

Using Totti as a supersub of Pjanic (sic!) is ridiculous. Pjanic is talented, but not that talented. Where he was during the second half of last season? and the beginning of this one?

23. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    3 trequatiste and 1 cf who isn't exactly a racehorse.

Wolnt work

24. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Blanc seems hesitant, he would prefer to go to England and is asking for too much money. In the meantime the name of Walter Novellino has come up.

25. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I'm reading that Blanc wants to coach a Premier League team. So it's very unlikely he'll come to Roma.

Edit: Lol DDR was faster than me. :)