Coaching search catch-all

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be typical rapids luck that after all this they get busted for tampering by not getting permission before approaching Fraser.

2. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think the only 'source' for Fraser and Spencer being the leading candidates was Ives original piece. Has anyone else actually said either was a candidate based on information they received outside of reading Ives original piece? If not, then it is likely he just thought "Fraser and Spencer are former head coaches that are former Rapids players, I'll name them as leading candidates."

Edit: Kind of like some fans taking Burgundy Wave's suggestion of Dely Valdes as a rumor and not a suggestion.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    (from the Ives quote).

"Rules to follow in this league"??? Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! I can't believe someone from a major market said that. Given the banter about OP the last week or so, I find it hard to understand what rule he must be talking about.

(getting off my soapbox)

rod.

4. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Technically, must OP is still our coach. I have only heard rumors that he is leaving, so ..... ;)

rod.

JasonMa and jayd8888 repped this.
  5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm still holding out hope that Mr Slacks is right that we will like Plan B, eventhough Mr. Slacks just oments before said the Rapids were caught off guard by OP's wish to leave. But here's to hope!

6. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
  7. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that Ives's mention of Robin Fraser appears to have been based on very thin evidence, perhaps his mention of Spencer is just as thing. I'm hoping it's not Spencer. Jesse Marsch seems possible, as does Denis Hamlett. And it could always just end up being Bravo after all.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I've heard it (as a long shot) from more than just Burgundy Wave, but not from a source good enough that anyone here would consider it more than a suggestion. I think its slightly higher than just something fans want to see, but not much more than that.

9. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Please stop saying this (anyone). It is just one of the worst possible outcomes IMO. I simply don't want to hear it anymore :-(

Edit: If he needs to be interim coach so the Rapids can have time to find a * good * coach, then I can live with that.

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't see us getting an experienced head coach unless its someone like Fraser who "failed" first go round.

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Just curious where the Anti-Bravo as coach sentiment is rooted? Marsh is seemingly acceptable without a resume to support it. And until he wasn't successful in Portland, so was Spencer. Even Fraser seems to be acceptable, again without a successful supporting resume.

12. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy and RapidStorm repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except they've all been assistant coaches or former head coaches recently. Bravo hasn't coached since 2008.

BTW, when I searched for Bravo to get that date the similar Google searches brought up Pareja, Smith, Pablo, 'Celo, and Charles Eloundou(???).

14. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Thanks. Is that really a good reason though? Not coaching for a while is worse then being a recent unsuccessful coach?

Wait, actually, that sounds like most sports :D

JasonMa repped this.
  15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saves KSE money so they will LOVE IT, he might even have to mow grass to save them some more peso's. ;)

16. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the negativity regarding John Spencer is valid. Of course it's all speculation and we can't see into the future, rather can only hypothesize about it based on what we know has happened in the past. Spencer was a respected Rapids player that always gave a great effort in games, he has been around the MLS for a while as assistant in Houston and head coach in Portland. I think he could be successful if he got the Rapids job. He's a charismatic and passionate guy who can inspire players to put in an honest, professional effort. I understand that most of the complaints would be the direct style of play (read: not "the beautiful game" style) of a 4-4-2 system that his previous teams preferred, and maybe his connection to the latino players on our roster would be less since he is Scottish. Those points don't matter so much in my opinion. A good coach will communicate well with players of different nationalities and a good coach will adapt tactics based on a number of factors (such as skills of his players) to help the team be successful. Well, like I said in a previous post, I think this young and motivated team could be successful with a number of head coaching possibilities. I don't believe that the Rapids have to "break the bank" with a head coach signing. Heck, maybe they will go with an inexperienced coach that they believe can do the job and could blossom into a "Jason Kreis". I guess only time will tell. I do hope we get a person with a sense of loyalty, hard work ethic and ability to get the most out of his players.

Quinn 33 repped this.
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Why would you say Marsch was unsuccessful? The Impact did not make the playoffs, but they were also a first year expansion team and were not horrible (12th of 19). They also showed a good passing game which presumably is important to the FO.

I don't know that he'd be a good choice for a coach, but that seems like a better resume than a guy who doesn't coach at all.

And people keep bringing up Spencer, who here wants him, rather than is just passing along the rumor that he's a candidate?

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'd guess the new coach will come as much out of the blue to us as Pareja's hiring did.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #144 m vann, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    [

Everything you mentioned were reasons (supposedly) that Spencer was canned in Portland. He could not adapt tactically to his team's strengths. He stuck to his guns; to what he knows. Again, supposedly, his communication with the squad was pretty shotty and alienating. I don't know if that would carry over to CO but it would certainly be a concern and even possibly a red-flag. I like Spencer but the current squad has some similar elements to his squad in Portland. I don't want a repeat of what happened in Portland. The Rapids took two giant steps forward last year. They can't afford to go backwards. I'm not advocating for a coach identical to OP, I'm looking for a coach that can maintain the momentum we have and to, quite frankly, take it up a notch. I just have my doubts if Spencer would be the right man for this team. I do think he is a good fit somewhere in MLS -- I really do -- but not here. If you are wanting to know, my first choice would have been Cabrera but obviously that's not an option. The rapids are in a difficult spot. It sucks. I just pray they make the right decision and keep the momentum they have.

Soaker888 and JasonMa repped this.
  20. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Perhaps the Dallas/Rapids supposed negotiations include an announcement of coaches for *both* teams as well as that compensation package we are getting for OP...:rolleyes:

21. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    You guys need to take a page from the Bob Kraft playbook and hire a former player straight from the broadcast booth.....:)

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah watch it be some top assistant like Kerry Zavagnin (SKC), Amos Magee (Port.), Wade Barrett and Steve Ralston (Hou), Curt Onalfo (LAG), Brian Schmetzer and Enza Hendrickson (Sea). Of course Fraser's been mentoned but according to Petke he has not been approached. I could be envision, for some reason, going for one of these "outta the blue" hires. I'm not for or against it, BTW. I just want someone who can maintain and enhance the momentum we have.

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'm not sure what is meant by "without the resume to support it". I realize Jesse Marsh didn't win the MLS Cup while head coach of Montreal but he did a decent job. He got 12 wins with an expansion team. Pareja last year got 14 wins with _his_ team.

While I'm not sold on Fraser, I'm going to hold the MLS disaster known as Chivas USA against him.

Maybe part of it is that we're factoring in a guesstimate of what the Rapids FO is willing to pay a coach. If we're all guessing correctly, the FO probably isn't willing to pay enough to attract a Yallop-type coach let alone someone decent from overseas.

24. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  25. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And perhaps not enough for Jesse Marsh either. I just can't help this pit-in-my-stomach feeling that the RFO is looking for a deal in an unproven manager. Granted, that's not always a bad thing but it can be risky. With this newly built team, could be a risk worth not taking IMO.