Coaching search catch-all

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Jesse Marsch wouldn't be a bad choice.

2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Maybe Eric Wynalda can be pried away from Atlanta? :cool:

3. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be coaching one team via Skype, how hard could it be to simply add another? :laugh:

Stuart95, keller4president and m vann repped this.
  4. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes on Jesse Marsch. Eric Wynalda would be entertaining as hell but his commitment is suspect. He needs to show with Atlanta that he can perform

5. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Does anyone think Marsch would be too expensive for the Rapids? Or have the Rapids seen the light in actually paying coaches and non-embarrassing salary?

6. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    What is OP's salary?

7. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Don't know, but the comments of his salary the past two years being the lowest (or at least one of the lowest) in MLS is concerning to me, especially if we want to find a *good* coach. That would mean a coach with a measurable track record...i.e, one with experience.

8. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I don't know what it is, but it's embarrassing.

Thanks.

9. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Bradley/DeFoe news in Toronto, and some of the quality players coming into the league elsewhere, KSE needs to see the light that they need to step up their game at all levels or we aren't going to be competitive in the next couple of years. The coach is just going to be the start.

jdub3379 and JasonMa repped this.
  10. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Is it just me, or is the league making some major noise on the international stage? I am wondering if MLS had a master plan which started slow, then somewhere around this year start bringing in bigger names. It also seems like teams are much more likely to have multiple DP's as well.

This is important in the coaching discussion because it would stand to reason that MLS teams (Rapids included) should be able to attract decent coaches with the bigger-name players coming over.

Not saying a Ronaldo is in MLS (yet), but it sure does seem like players might consider MLS a more viable option. Particularly with the salaries that seem to be coming.

rod.

11. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Rapids need to get more seats in dsgp give away free tickets to av's and nugget season ticket holders / give away alot of tickets and hope the team grows because as it stands it will never grow.

12. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I think it's very positive that Bradley came back and to a lesser extent Dempsey (not as impressed as others with him though) but keep in mind these are U.S. Nat players in their prime. A very good trend, but until we start to see German, English, Spanish, Italian Argentina Brazil etc. Nat players in their prime, I'm not getting too excited.

It's a good start though.

13. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be-- however, I hope the "raise the salary cap overall and pay squad players better" part of the "master plan" kicks in soon.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yep. (and I never thought I would agree with "Ihaveabeard"). There are a lot of nuggets/avs/lacrosse fans who may consider a cross-over. They gave us Avs tickets a few years ago, it was a nice benefit that got me paying more attention to Hockey.

Heck, why not create a "super" season ticket and allow for someone to have season tickets to more than one team. I would buy a package which had Rapids season tickets, plus mini-season tickets to one or more of the other teams.

15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Seems to me that would just follow. Although league revenues need to cover a raise in salary cap. Did I hear there was potentially a new TV deal in the works? That could raise the level quickly. Assuming there were enough "big" names to draw an audience.

rod.

16. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is definitely a new TV deal in the works-- but it's not clear that it will be much more lucrative for MLS than the current one. MLS is certainly doing everything it can to make it more lucrative-- adding NYCFC and OCSC for one, and helping to bring in Dempsey (and we'll have to see if MLS threw in any cash for Bradley).

17. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Robin Fraser may be the best realistic choice at this point. It could be ok. I did listen to Ives podcast on the situation (desperate times call for desperate measures) and he said the Rapids need to loosen their purse strings to get Fraser. I found it concerning that Fraser may be considered a financial stretch

Jimmydinho and JasonMa repped this.
  18. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    That seems like a great idea :)

19. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given our history, it isn't surprising that this is the case. Given Ives history, it also wouldn't be surprising if he is just saying that because he knows the Rapids history and therefore just assumes that is what is delaying things.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    I'm just saying i think the team needs to think outside the box and try something risky to bring in more fan's although a winning team would aid this risk idea's

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the current national TV deals expire at the end of this coming season, as does the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and the Players Union. It will be an interesting off-season next winter.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, WTF? from Ives:
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/01/contacted-fraser-looking.html

So now I'm starting to think Spencer is the leading candidate, if the Rapids haven't even talked to Fraser.

23. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    or maybe the rumor was pure crap in the first place?

24. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cabrera to chivas official

25. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Okay, we now have some data to work with. Great quotes to work with in the article
    People here are gonna have a field day with that quote.
    oh
    Chivas is so motivated to success they hire an an MLS assistant coach.

Hey, it may work out. I just think the quotes say a lot. :D

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.