Coaching search catch-all

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The C38 event start time was moved from 1pm to noon due to the scrimmage, with Pablo expected to be there until 1:30-1:45-ish. So the announcement will be sometime in that window.

And yes, if people want I can log on here from one of my mobile devices and post the announcement when in happens.

22SteveD and jayd8888 repped this.
  2. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes please. Also post any interaction you have with Tim Hinchey, assuming he doesn't punch you.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I see Tim my plan is to go the other way. :D

GreatGonzo and Soaker888 repped this.
  4. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Come on, you can't dodge that conversation. Take it to him. I would back you up (menacingly) if I could have made it down there. ;)

rod.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're set up for a major announcement here at the Celtic, I'm thinking coach

22SteveD repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo as coach. Mullan and Moor here to support him. They had him sign the contract here.

edwardgr, jayd8888 and Totoro repped this.
  7. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    You should just ask him like 1 million questions. Some that are related some that are not related some that are crazy some that are rapids related some that are rapids related and crazy but just never stop asking a barrage of questions. Then you could write about how he was running away from you as you were asking him questions even though he said that you never ask questions.

8. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocking news! Rapids just named Pablo Mastroeni head coach after a "deliberate" search!! :eye roll:

Well at least it's official.

22SteveD, edwardgr, Sports Yak and 2 others repped this.
  10. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot believe it took them so long. You the fans and the players, and Pablo all deserve better. Props for hanging in there with an obviously dysfunctional front office.

Dom. FC and JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will give a tip of the cap to the FO for the event. If you've gotten to the point where you're naming a head coach the week before the season starts, doing it by having him sign the contract at the SG's kickoff party is a nice touch.

Of course if you've gotten to the point where you're naming a head coach the week before the season starts, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

keller4president, BYLRPhil and edwardgr repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Or Pablo and RFO have known for a while he was going to be the coach and they just waited to have him sign at the C38 event. After all, he has been the coach - in effect - since the team returned in January.

crazyjon85 repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which means YOUR STILL DOING IT WRONG, as all the club has gotten out of that is a week or two of bad press as everybody's season preview on the Rapids mentions the screwed-up offseason and having no coach.

14. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    I don't agree with how they handled it, but ultimately, I don't think they care what the press says. Just look at the idiocy that comes out of the mouth's of people like Twellman and Lalas - this is really the only time people have even paid attention to the Rapids, and how long did it take before even that happened? The current FO seems to have this desire to make events out of things, both this season and last. They had their plans for the jersey reveal screwed by the schedule change, and I have the feeling wanted to do something special with this signing. I admit, it was kind of a neat thing to do. Does it make them look foolish? Sure, but I'm not sure they care.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

16. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for someone not caring Hinchey sure went after Jason for posting about it on his blog.

17. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Bad press?

I'm guessing they got more then they would have otherwise. I don't believe that was their intention, however.

It's over now, time to move forward. Bringing it up now is piling on, kinda like if someone kept making references to Seattle or the Super Bowl. ;)

jimijam28 repped this.
  18. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    From what I've been told, the Rapids were going to have an event before the San Jose game that was supposed to be played this weekend, and then moved the reveal to the thing on the 19th. I'm not sure why they weren't aware of the MLS Jersey week since the same thing happened last year, but not surprised they messed that up either.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, AIUI the waiting until the home opener was always the plan, even before the game was rescheduled (since tomorrow's game would have been in San Jose). Either way though, it never matched up with the whole Jersey Week thing, which was common knowledge a couple of months ago.

(And really, would it have really mattered if they still did it this weekend? The Rapids weren't playing a home game this weekend regardless.)

20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Close the thread, file the "search" with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, toss the file with the names of the other candidates on the same imaginary pile, and support PM. Training should have some good intensity next week with the 'certainty' of the contract signing.

21. RapidsGuerrilla

RapidsGuerrilla New Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    In case anyone wants to know what happened with Pablo and Oscar, it is pretty ridiculous. This information is from a few people and confirmed by a player.

Pablo and Brian Mullan were both pretty pissed about training because Pareja had put them with the reserves. He had been playing favorites with some of the new guys and Spanish speaking individuals (I know this was a rumor, but it is true, according to the sources). Pablo was unhappy with this and began asking Pareja why he was not with the first team. According to the sources, it started out being a normal "hey, coach..." type of situation, but he wouldn't give Pablo an answer. They played with the reserves for a week in training and at the end of the week, Pablo went to Pareja's office to ask him WTF was going on. He was told to get out of his office or something to that effect. Well, Pablo left the office and went to Bravo to see if he could talk to Pareja about his placement, but Bravo told him that he needed to talk to Pareja and he wasn't going to get into the middle of it. Pablo went down to Pareja's office and began screaming at him to tell him why the eff he was being treated like shit after all the tme he had with the club. Apparently, he exclaimed some sort of expletive to the effect of "F*&$ this!" and left. He didn't report to practice, nor travel for two weeks. When he came back, noticeably pissed, he went to Bravo and asked for a trade.

Where this gets really odd is his return. When Pablo had heard of the troubles within the organization (Pareja to Dallas) from a player, he called Bravo and wanted to find out if he could become a part of the staff, if only to be with the club without Pareja, because he loves the club so much (allegedly). Apparently, Bravo was surprised as hell that he called, because he thought Pablo was pissed at him as well as the club. Obviously, this wasn't the case. According to the sources, the plan was to be an assistant to a new coach, which they interviewed more than 7 of (including Dom Kinnear). However, they didn't want a coach who commanded a lot of power, because Paul handles scouting and player acquisitions, so they are looking for a guy who can lead the team and in game-day tactics, but they knew the style they wanted to play, as well. So, they couldn't find the right guy and wound up letting Pablo take the reigns for a few weeks and it went well. He had the right rapport, locker room's respect, et cetera.

I don't know why they waited so long to announce it, but it does sound like they knew for quite some time. I would assume that they wanted to make it a special thing for the fans since we loved Pablo so much, but I think that is a poor decision, despite being great for the supporters.

You do not have to believe this, but I had three different people tell me this story from the FO, including parts of it from a current player.

This certainly does have a feeling of "As the Rapids turn," doesn't it? Weird.

jayd8888 and Jimmydinho repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, relatively new poster posts how the Rapids really did interview more than 7 candidates, including a current MLS head coach, but none of those names leaked from any source...
    [​IMG]

23. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it be BuffBullocks? His previous visits were so informative and enjoyable!

JasonMa repped this.
  24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The story sounds pretty much like what we've put together from other rumors. So not much for me has changed here. Skeptical? Yeah sure. But I'm very happy to have another installment of As the Rapids Turn.

25. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agree with this thought. Nothing really contradicts what I have heard (either from rumor or direct from sources), so no reason to think it is/isn't true. Just an interesting thought at this point. More focused on the season and hoping like hell we can get a win on Saturday!

jayd8888 repped this.