Coaching search catch-all

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    i'm pretty sure im wrong about it being buddle and brown up top but i do remember we went 41212 for a few games earlier in the season and we seemed to play better i could be wrong but thats why i turn to yall. my beloved rapid supporters!

2. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I pick this one, and get both.

22SteveD, jayd8888 and Quinn 33 repped this.
  3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLS Soccer this A.M.

FRASER EYES JAMAICA ROLE

Robin Fraser has seen his name linked with all sorts of vacant positions this offseason, but is the New York Red Bulls assistant coach more interested in a job with the Jamaican national team? It seems that Fraser is eying a position similar to his role at the Red Bulls saying he is interested in player development...

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140106/sports/sports1.html#disqus_thread

22SteveD repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate the RFO's silence on this matter. I understand things go on behind closed doors and it's not always kosher to air everything out in pubic. I realize legality can and often does take precedence. With that said, why do I have the feeling that the RFO will announce OP's departure while simultaneously announcing a hiring?? I see the RFO taking this route to deflect the attention off themselves, OP and the potentially unscrupulous nature of FCD's poaching. I just envision the RFO softening the blow by saying something like, "we are committed to focusing on the future -- blah, blah, blah" when they could just be honest and let us know how this all went down. They don't have to blame or point fingers --- they just need to honest. The longer the silence, the more I begin to think the RFO has a royal screw up somewhere in this mess. They probably do anyway but I'm really trying to not to put this all on their shoulders, for once.

22SteveD, COMtnGuy, GreatGonzo and 2 others repped this.
  5. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Then why the rest of the post?

I understand people want updates and more importantly closure. Other then satisfy our curiosity, what value is there to them making comments which aren't decisive.

Would an update prevent these threads? Now that's funny. Not only would they not stop these threads it would probably increase the noise as it's more nourishment for the rumor and the RFO/KSE is Satan clan.

But more importantly, would an update ensure a better outcome? Isn't that what we all want? Isn't it?

30Something repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let me explain...........You can say something publically that will not jeopardize the legal standing - if any - on the matter. It doesn't take a savvy PR person to do so. Hell, I could do it. I do this sort of thing on a regular basis for my company. A simple, "we are aware of situation and are working with MLS HQ and FCD to rectify the situation." You can follow that up with the status of OP. Public acknowledgement, that's all. It's not hard.

At this point I'm not really concerned with decisive / indecisive comments; I more concerned with silence -- if that makes sense. Silence just insinuates many things, mainly negative. It just gives off the vibe that someone is trying to sweep this under the rug.

An update may or may not ensure a better outcome. That will remain to be unseen until an actual update is provided. An update or any sort, provided it does not jeopardize anything legally, is only fair to all parties involved that includes the fans. People will say it's not for the fans to know but alienating the fans only creates a divide and ultimately it's those fans who make or break a franchise.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Thanks for the responses, I'll respond and leave it at that for now :)
    Fair enough, but I see such words as meaningless., fluff and adding nothing.
    To mean, silence means they have nothing of value to say, an admiral trait ;) But when someone reads hidden messages into their silence, to me, says more about them then the RFO.
    Again, we see things differently. I don't see this silence as not "fair" or "alienating" anyone. As a fan, the Rapids owe me nothing more then putting a good product on the field.

Certainly I will have opinions on decisions they make, but I can't be bothered by decisions not yet made regarding situations not fully known.

30Something and jimijam28 repped this.
  8. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we on coaching plan Z yet?

Can't find it now but I thought Vann posted a tweet that Smith was a "coach/evaluator" at combine here in Denver.

11. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was this retweeted by the Rapids earlier:

22SteveD, COMtnGuy, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  12. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post also has this.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rapids/...re-with-coaching-an-option-in-colorado/25521/

Of note, they mentioned that the coaches present today were Steve Cooke, Brian Crookham, and Jamie Smith

I was hoping Dave Dir would be included in that list, but he wasn't. Makes me think we will have to go outside the organization to replace Pareja.

Unless....what is the thoughts of Brian Crookham? Heck, he might have to be the interim if we go that route and if Bravo doesn't want to be interim.

13. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Cabrera would leave Pareja. If so, I wonder if the Rapids even would consider him. Unless they had a falling out or OP burned all those bridges as well I'm disappointed he wouldn't be an option. Hard to think he would chose Chivas over the Rapids if he was.

14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My suspicion is the whole lowest paid HC thing, plus if there really is FO/ coach issues he had front row seats.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. mojo10

mojo10 Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Rocky Mtn Hi CO.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/rapids/...re-with-coaching-an-option-in-colorado/25521/

Of note, they mentioned that the coaches present today were Steve Cooke, Brian Crookham, and Jamie Smith

Unless....what is the thoughts of Brian Crookham? Heck, he might have to be the interim if we go that route and if Bravo doesn't want to be interim.[/quote]

Just a thought............
    Jamie Smith will eventually be a first-rate coach IMHO but may be a bit too close to the current folks to jump right in.

Cooke was involved pretty much every day on the training ground with the staff last season. Crookham-not so much. While much of his work was with young players or guys "rehabbing" off to the side, Cooke may be an unkown darkhorse here especially if Cabrera is going-going-gone as well.

16. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    god people want terry cooke... are you people nuts?

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with Cooke that isn't wrong with some of the other less/non-experienced suggestions?

18. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who are the non-experienced suggestions??

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo and Mullan have both come up, as has Smith.

It just seemed like you had some issue with Cooke beyond his lack of experience, maybe I read you wrong.

20. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wouldnt want any of them anywhere near this team... maybe MAYBE as assistants. we need someone who has been a head coach before...

21. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Denis Hamlett?

22. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    my votes for jasonma to be our interm head coach till 2015

pdid10 repped this.
  23. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STEVE Cooke, the assistant currently with the Rapids is STEVE Cooke. That is who is mentioned in the article and who mojo10 was referring to.

Nobody is saying we want him either. Just that if somebody in house is being considered, permanently or as interim, he might make more sense than Crookham. Those two and Chris Sharpe might be the only guys left at the moment to be an interim if we need one.

24. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you're right

25. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crookham has essentially filled the same role in Colorado, as Oscar did in Dallas before becoming the Rapids HC. Head of the Youth Academy, sideline assistant to the 1st team.

The only difference between the two of them is that Oscar played at a higher level than Brian. To dismiss him as a decent or qualified choice for the club would be foolish.

Brian wouldn't be a flashy hire, and I'm sure the choice would be panned as "cheap" by most Rapids supporters, there is no reason to believe he couldn't be a successful head coach in MLS.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Brian as the HC, with Steve Cooke and Jamie Smith as assistants. Mitch Murray probably takes over the youth setup at that point. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if that doesn't happen either.