Coaching search catch-all

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They seemed to play okay under him. Well, the D was bad, but their D is still bad so it could have been the personnel (and reliance on old personnel at that). On the plus side, they seemed like they had one of the better passing games that year, and were a fun team to watch on the offensive side of the ball.

RapidStorm repped this.
  2. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    #27 RapidStorm, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Yeah, the D would be the one knock against Marsch, but it seems to me he was hamstrung by an expansion roster and by Saputo's desire to build around Nesta, which probably wasn't smart at that stage of Nesta's career. I think if by some crazy set of circumstances Marsch actually becomes a candidate here, he'd have a better defensive foundation to work with here. But that, again, seems to depend on what players try to accompany Pareja to Dallas.

3. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Mastroeni is hired that would be an instant red card to the RFO.

wormhole, Soaker888 and Rod1916 repped this.
  4. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool. I might've kicked Pareja to the curb for that anyway. Somebody pull off their boot and give Jorge a call.

The possibility of getting carded is one thing. The other is having stormy sessions with the Bravo and Hinchey. I don't see Pablo as a coach. I could be wrong. Just don't see it.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Pablo is interested in being a professional coach. I seem to remember him saying that we was interested in running a soccer school or a youth academy.

I must admit the dely Valdes idea is very intriguing. Buuut I don't know if that is realistic or not.

6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Aren't the Dely Valdes'es still the Panama coaches? Or are people thinking Jorge might come over here by himself?

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama fired Julio after failing to make the WC. Jorge is still involved with the Panamanian youth programs but is no longer a National team assistant coach.

Totoro repped this.
  8. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't being serious about Pablo as coach. was just trying to lighten the mood on these threads a bit. :D

Agree. However, at this point, they should shoot for the moon and see what they'd get.

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Wow, that seems harsh. But I guess that's the deal with being a National team coach.

10. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I don't have a clue who I would like to see. With OP, I think the Rapids are better positioned to play the kind of soccer I've been hoping for then at any time since I've been a fan. So someone to build on that would be nice, thank you.

Unfortunately, changing coaches is much like change executives in the "real" world. The new boss wants to put their scent on everything and kill the cubs from the old coach. Would that be different if it were Wilmer? Probably, to some extent, but I don't know even if that's an option (or if it is if it's the best option).

Like most everyone, I hope this is settled quickly. I doubt there is a coach so good that waiting to the last minute would be worthwhile.

11. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    He would have to be a player/coach to get a red card, coaches can be sent off but not carded (either color).

12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    +1

13. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize that. Yes. Thanks.
    I was trying to be cheeky.

14. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to you isn't everything involving the RFO a red card?

Pablo left under bad terms and is doubtful to return. Lopez lives in Denver and could see a return as an assistant but not likely a HC.

15. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are suggesting that I do not respect Hinchey & his lackeys, that I do not believe that Hinchey & bunch are competent, that I do not believe that Hinchey et al are honest then you are absolutely correct.

By the way, are you one of the lackey's or just an ass kisser?

16. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let's face it, you've made it quite clear that you don't care for anything they do and seem to always find the negative in any situation.
    And as for me? I hold my own council. But I support my club through whatever happens.
    Not sure you've ever made it clear you actually support a club or just like to stir the pot with your boulder piss.

17. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marx, Slacks … how about a nice sandwich? Pastrami on rye with mustard? Come on, keep it civil :)

18. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally not interested in Spencer or Fraser, although between the two I'd rather have Fraser.

Based on the current roster, and the style the FO wants to play, I'd be tracking down Richie Williams. The Dely Valdes suggestion is interesting as well.

22SteveD repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you hold your own council than why is it so important for you to attack those who view FO in negative light?

jayd8888 and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  20. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. It's not like they hired Patrick Roy or anything.

jdub3379, tonhtubra and jimijam28 repped this.
  21. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should add...the Rapids should sign the best coach available, as opposed to the best coach that fits Pareja's flawed system. We have the potential for more long term success if we hire someone that can gradually make the team adapt, and not the other way around. That is another reason why I'm not as warm to the idea of Cabrera as others are.

wormhole repped this.
  22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious on what is flawed about his system? Most of the world is playing this style or maybe I am not understanding what you are referring to.

W.J. Marx repped this.
  23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I agree. Plus, I didn't think it was clear what Pareja's system was. The team was far less reliant on advancing the ball up the flank and then having a cross in be the only idea. So there was definite improvement. But I think Pareja transformed the team less in two years than Porter did with Portland in his one season. So Oscar is not the only one who can coach this team.

It's a good roster and it seems clear the general direction the FO wants to go. This is a big reason why Smith left and why Pareja was hired in the first place. I don't think they want any radical changes, either.

24. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree with COMtnGuy here.

Quinn you & I have represented the opposite ends of the Pareja spectrum. I always had faith in Pareja & in his system and the way in which he rebuilt a depleted squad, whereas, you seemed to always doubted him and his methods. Each of our opinions had merit.

Regardless of how it seems to have ended with the RFO, Pareja's system is untainted. To me, football is cerebral, quick, decisive & always aware of new opportunities. Playing out of the back, playing with the ball on the ground, attacking with FB capable of providing timely, dangerous crosses, fully utilizing ones midfield, creating dangerous opportunities & providing forwards with useful service were all goals of this system. My faith in Pareja the man has been shaken but my belief in his system remains strong.

No, I did not like him haunting the touch lines as if he did not believe in his players, or his often inappropriate dress (a match is a full dress occasion and should not be denigrated by an MLS coach wearing jeans) or his all too often gaffs with lineups & substitutions. These were all manifestations of a 1st time, young coach growing up. These were lessons to be learned.

If, indeed, Pareja is gone I will miss him and rue the mechanics of his departure but he has left the team much stronger, younger and prepared than the one he inherited. Nevertheless, if he simply walked out on the Rapids unprovoked I would hold his feet to the fire. Either I would get a bonanza in reparations for the "tampering" and maximum reward in exchange from Dallas if they choose to sign him prior to the final date on his contract.

25. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, Porter came on the heals of John Spencer & interim coach Gavin Wilkinson. Moreover, some Rapids fans think hiring Spencer to move the process is a good thing.