Coaching search catch-all

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Tampering is a bit strong, but Dan Hunt didn't exactly handle things the right way. Given KSE's respect for the Hunt family generally though, once Dallas coughs up the buyout and some extra compensation (I'm hearing draft picks), Rapids will probably let sleeping dogs lie.

I re-read my previous post - in no way am I doubting Bravo's acumen, quite the opposite and I was trying to make the point made by a later poster that the club is in good hands from a personnel, academy, structure standpoint and certainly compared to two years ago when the last manager search was underway. Need to get a coach in place soon for sure, but don't need to panic

JasonMa repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be that Balboa is smart. There is something to be said about the job security of a broadcaster vs. being a coach. ;)

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me these "restrictions" seems absolutely the worst way to go about hiring a new coach. Let's restrict our candidate pool to like a dozen instead of searching for the best candidates possible.

Speculation on my part is they know word is out about coaching here and they know they will get rejected by most everyone, so now they only look at people with connections here that might accept the position.

Didn't Pablo flat out state if he sold his house here in Denver he would stay either in LA or move back to AZ, when he gave retirement interview. I specifically remember him bringing up his unsold house tying up his post player options for sure.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No

5. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but you need to stop drinking the kool-aid on this. Bravo and the scouting team may have done the bulk of the scouting and therefore presented Pareja with the best choices, maybe he even told Pareja, he had to take a midfielder at #11, but as I pointed out in this post before, you can clearly hear Bravo verifying Pareja's CHOICE with both picks.

There is nothing wrong with admitting that the coach had the final say about the picks. Just say, "Yes, Pareja was a valuable asset when it came to evaluating potential players and we had one of our best periods of player acquisition while he was here, but he wasn't the sole asset doing the scouting and it's not like every acquisition was a stand out. We have a team of people, including the recent additions of John Metgod and Pablo Mastroeni, who we are confident can do an exceptional job of determining the right players to bring in to the club going forward." Let the man have some credit for the things he was good at and move on.

22SteveD, area815 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    I think I mentioned him in passing and also think he might be a good choice...does he fit the ex-player mode described in Bianchi's post?

7. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that German Sferra just doesn't know all of the moves, so he has updated that page to show all the changes that there have been press releases/web stories about, but not any others. So maybe Dir is here or maybe he isn't.

Somewhat related, in Hinchey's interview with Extra Time Radio he mentioned that Steve Cooke is technical director of the academy, which the website lists as Mitch Murray, so maybe there is another change there.

m vann and JasonMa repped this.
  8. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Is it possible that the Latin feel of the current team will impact the thinking of the coach hire.....I'm feeling like the player mix could be a negative or a positive, depending on which coaching candidate that gets asked the question...I'm mainly refering back to suggestions that there was a rift last season betweem the players.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a name out of nowhere that would work with what the Rapids say they want. Aitor Karanka.

Of course, I have no idea why he'd leave Middlesbrough for this job... :D

10. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Kroenke want to see him before Wenger retires????????
    R

GreatGonzo and JasonMa repped this.
  11. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get the former player thing. Other than Pablo or Balboa who really has a connection. hiring Pablo with zero experience seems insane to me. Being a great player doesn't make you a good coach.

Also, from the insider post it seems the relationship with Oscar soured when He didn't get his "vanity" signing. So rightly or wrongly it seems personnel disputes played a part.

Now the Rapids want to hire a coach that pretty much defers on player decisions and will have a consultant playing a part in game day and tactical decisions. That may work put it seems to be playing with fire and setting up a possible threepeat on coaching blow ups.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Could also be that the Rapids FO did not get an ok from KSE on a reasonable salary range for an experienced head coach. Hiring "an ex-Rapids player with a history with the club" could also be code for "cheap labor". I don't know if Pablo or any other ex-Rapid would end up being a good choice, and I'd love to see them succeed, but when you are searching for performance it's generally better to go with a known commodity (coach with proven track record) than an unknown commodity (ex-Rapids players as coaches with poor track record or none at all).

JasonMa repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I too am alarmed that the Rapids seem to be limiting their search to ex-players in an attempt to find some loyalty. I'll gladly take a two year tenure with a high level of success than someone who is willing to stay forever but isn't competent.

The names tweeted by Bianchi earlier - Pablo, Spencer and Balboa - don't do it for me. Obviously Pablo and Balboa don't have any coaching experience at the MLS level.

ON a slightly different note, I too was thinking of Karanka, but he's not going to leave the League Championship. BTW, Middlesbourgh is in 13th currently.

JasonMa repped this.
  14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm

LAGI: “Going back to Colorado seems to be a natural move here especially with your family being unable to sell your home.”

“The word destiny is appropriate here. I’ve had my house on the market for the last six months and it sold once, then the people backed out and for whatever reason it didn’t sell. I just kept thinking that there was a reason for all this because at some point, you just have to heed the omens. For me, the kids love it, my wife loves it and I love it as well. I just thought that life would take me to different places, but it hasn’t. As long as it doesn’t sell, it looks like we’ll just stay in Colorado and it’s looking more and more like we’re just going to take the house off the market. That way we can settle in here as I go into the next phase of my career as I look to start a soccer school focusing on youth development without having to worry about results on the weekend. It’ll be a way to give back because I’ve had great coaches throughout my career that inspired me and now I want to put my own spin on [the game] to help develop young players in Colorado."
    http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/beat/2...ans-after-soccer-and-plans-create-soccer-scho

COMtnGuy, kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bianchi tweeted Fraser, not Balboa. He tweeted Balboa was NOT a candidate.

16. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Jesse Marsch? I thought he didn't get a fair shake at Montreal, similar to Fraser at Chivas. Nothing against Pablo but I think he needs some time as an assistant.

keller4president repped this.
  17. aurelius

aurelius Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Love the Karanka idea!!!

18. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If they are going to stick to the ex-player criteria, I think this is a two horse race between Frasier and Dely Valdes. Make mine Jorge Dely Valdes. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about him on the board. He has coached some of the Panama youth teams and, of course, was an assistant for his bro with the senior side during this last cycle.
    Going the Spencer or Mastroeni route would be a mistake at this point.
    I would rather they explore a Dutch coach that Metgod might be aware of. Let's really commit to the 4-3-3 and raise the bar for the league.

22SteveD, JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well

Alexi LalasVerified account ‏@AlexiLalas 12 Jan Lots of talk flying around here at the #MLSCombine. Now hearing Pablo Mastroeni in line for head coach of @ColoradoRapids.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that was 2 days ago, before yesterday's discussions.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #296 m vann, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Apparently you've never set foot in Middlesbrough. Less than ideal is a mild way to put it! ;) :D

JasonMa repped this.
  22. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Agree to disagree - this is not my understanding in multiple conversations, off record and in social settings, with every one of the individuals involved.....including the players.

23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, completely missed that date.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Hinchey's words on next coach & Pablo:
    “We want him around the club, and at some point, if I wear my fan’s hat, if he becomes coach, it’d be cool for me. But ultimately, it’ll be determined by [technical director] Paul Bravo and what’s right for everyone.”

Whomever it is, Hinchey says the club will certainly take its time in finding its man, and that he and Bravo won’t even sit down to discuss names until next week.

“I think Paul has a great group around him right now that we can take our time and make sure we find the right person,” Hinchey said.

Source: http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/...-club-will-take-its-time-finding-new-coach-in

25. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hmmm so I wonder if they will just name Pablo the interim coach and if they like what he is doing name him head coach. I don't know Pablo as a person, but, I very much disliked him as a player so I hope they go in a different direction. Of course, if he is named interim and does well I will be back the former Rapids DM even if I'm a bit reluctant at first.