Coaching Podcast

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Coach_Hayles, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there are any coaching podcasts that are still active? I've found one or two vaguely coaching-related but they're all old and defunct.

Thinking about putting something together. Something that combines grass-roots training and player development with tactical analysis a la zonalmarking.net. Do you think it has legs? Is it too niche? Is there already something out there that I haven't found yet?

Cheers,
    Chris

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I don't like the communications method. I favor a written presentation, keeping in mind written presentations can be multimedia incorporating art and clips. I think it is easier to control and create the presentation, writing versus podcast. And most of the podcasts I see are crap while you more often see high quality blogs and web pages.

Here is a simple illustration. If you are going to include a diagram or clip in a presentation, what is the advantage of a podcast over a multimedia document? None. On the other hand writing is superior to oral presentations in communicating verbally. A multimedia document has all the advantages of both visual and written communications.

3. pm4chi

pm4chi Member

May 16, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the communications method, but haven't found any good coaching ones. Let us know if you find one.

4. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    rca2 repped this.
  5. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    The interview with Claudio Reyna is well worth listening to. The first four minutes about world cup finals is overcome by events at the draw, but he soon switches to talking about youth sports, a little about professional player development, and character. A lot of it will not be a surprise to most youth coaches, but some of it was new to me.

6. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interview with Jurgen Klinsmann earlier today:

He has some good stuff to say about coaching kids. Most notably "don't over-coach."

7. Dakota Soccer

Dakota Soccer Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best one that was out there was the NSCAA coaches podcast they had going for about a year. They basically ran one of their sessions from previous conventions once a week. It was fantastic! Like going to a mini-seminar every week for an hour, but for some reason they stopped that.

8. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  9. Peter Faulks

Peter Faulks New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  10. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. MidfieldGeneral

MidfieldGeneral New Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    I have been thinking about starting one up. Anyone interested in collaborating please hit me up.

12. MidfieldGeneral

Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    anyone that is following this....

we have recorded five podcasts, and we are getting ready to launch. Probably at the convention. If you are interested in getting involved drop me a line.

13. Dakota Soccer

Dakota Soccer Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the podcast called?

14. MidfieldGeneral

Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    It's called Beyond 442. We have not launched yet, we are stockpiling episodes so that when we launch we have a bit of a buffer. You can check it out at beyond442.com. We are looking to pick up the baton from the NSCAA podcast. [I have worked as a correspondent for the NSCAA, but this is my own project]. I was reluctant to link to it because I didn't want to come across as shilling.

15. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. WCC1

WCC1 New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    We've started a new podcast - Coaching Soccer Weekly. You can listen through iTunes or on CoachingSoccerWeekly.com

17. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Listened to a few of these now, the Ken Nuber interview is great.

18. MB433

MB433 Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    www.whistleandaclipboard.com Pick and choose... some of the baseball/basketball ones may have little to no carryover to soccer, but some of the general coaching/mental skills guests are great. A couple soccer coaches in there too.