Coaches Hot Seat - 2013 Version

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by *Oracle*, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    24Seven repped this.
  2. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Docking on campus at ETSU on Monday ! Announcement could be coming by the end of the week

Hararea repped this.
  3. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually going to happen? Wow!

4. Mada

Mada Member

May 22, 2012

Loyola hires an assistant: http://www.loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/031714aaa.html

Hararea repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Just happened to notice that Brad Agoos (ex-HC at Seattle U) has landed as an assistant with the Timbers' U18s and U16s. Hope he does well there.

7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Average or below average college coaches don't die, they become club/academy coaches.

8. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Eric Mild, long-time assistant at UC Davis, is the new head coach at D3 Pacific University in Oregon.

9. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    If the recent events at Xavier and VCU turn out to be true, do those situations put any heat on the respective HCs?

Both programs have been on the rise of late but as we always talk about on here, non-revenue sports can't get in the news for the wrong reasons...

Hararea repped this.
  10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hararea repped this.
  11. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #286 fknbuflobo, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, unless he really wanted to live in the mountains (and some people do - that's pretty country over there), that move was always pretty unlikely.

13. TheBobCrayBand

TheBobCrayBand New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Club:
    Charleston
    ETSU might be on the downswing. Not because of the hire but b/c of changes at school. The program was started when football was cut. The head coach was given a lot of support to be successful. Now there is a new AD and football is coming back. The assistant had been there since the beginning. He would have had the job if he wanted it, but instead both he and the head coach knew it was time to, "Get out of Dodge". The AD has made massive cuts to budget, including scholarships & assistant salary. Good luck to Bo! I am sure he knows what he is getting into and willing to accept the challenge.

JoeSoccerFan and fknbuflobo repped this.
  14. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. If all you say is true (I have no reason to doubt you), Docking was never going to ETSU.

15. ballance

ballance Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Or they stay in college coaching indefinitely.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This.

17. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Those who get fired or "resign" never find another job. In the MLS or even college football and basketball it's kind of understood you will get let go and rise again. I college soccer you are done off to club world never to return. See Mike Freitag, Oliver Weiss, Trevor Adair and those are the very successful coaches. The average work their way to DOC somewhere.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Perhaps, but there are also a LOT of mediocre and poor coaches in D-I college soccer who hang around with impunity in terms of performance.

Exhibit A) Joe Luxbacher

Exhibit B) Mike Brizendine

Exhibit C) Tim McClements

Exhibit D) Brian Tompkins

Exhibit E) Lev Kirshner

How long did George Tarantni and Eric Visser stay in their jobs despite year after year of sucking? And that's just at the more higher-profile schools.

How about schools like Hofstra, Central Connecticut, Florida Atlantic - their coaches have been their forever and just muddle along, year after year with little to show in terms of winning records and NCAA appearances.

The reality is there are a lot of poor coaches in D-I and they are just there like old furniture, not going anywhere. The students, and college soccer, deserve better.

19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Freitag may be a reasonable example of this. Has he pursued any openings?

But your other two examples seem eye-poppingly wrong. Regardless of sport, most colleges don't want a head coach like Weiss who's been caught in rampant recruiting violations, much less a head coach with Adair's personal history:
    "Police received a 911 call with reports of a fight and were told by witnesses that Adair struck his two daughters several times, causing minor injuries."

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/36286/charges-dropped-against-former-clemson-coach-adair.html

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Again in basketball and football those guys would have jobs. See Bobby Petrino, George O'Leary, John Calipari, Kelvin Sampson. Just saying not many 2nd chances in college soccer.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You're comparing apples to oranges because of the revenue involved. Winning and money are all the ADs care about for football and men's hoop coaches.

22. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Fair enough, I have to admit that you're right about this one. I'd forgotten how many of those guys are total crooks.

I will point out, however, that second chances would be a lot easier to come by if schools were more proactive about clearing out their dead weight.

23. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    It seems to me as there is a lot of weight getting cleared these days. You have a guy at Pitt with faculty tenure that you can't touch - who else do you have ?

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Surprised we haven't seen a new top assistant announced at UCLA ...

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Jorge was waiting for Martin Vasquez to become available.

collegesoccer and Hararea repped this.