Clubs of all sizes... wee and humongous - OTT [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by pgr17, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Nationalism is macro-tribalism.

And seeing as tribalism is a hardwired part of the human psyche, nationalism isn't going away anytime soon.

Sucks eh?

2. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "WTFAU?"

[​IMG]

Invincible repped this.
  3. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's known for that. Get's accused of using cheesy corporate or management-style speech often and trying to be clever when simple words would do. He's also been compared to David Brent, Ricky Gervais' character in The Office, (UK version) a few hundred million times.

4. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But was at the end of his tenure and he was their only striker? Surely they would have played Sturridge for a stretch some time?

5. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Genuinely, who is that?

6. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is taking 6 shots per game, RVP is taking 3, ever heard of big fish in a small pond or a club suited to one player?

I would take the player who has actually done something at a big club and everyone here knows my stance on selling Rooney.

7. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wayne Rooney when asked to play upfront on his own scores 34 goals, when asked to play deeper scores 34 goals (last season), if not is the highest assister in the league with Silva(or Mata dont remember), what a player.

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some of us have moved on..

9. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    DS15 ;)

Republic of Mancunia and johno repped this.
  10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think Suarez suits your example.

I think he's just that good. We can also reverse the scenario and be in awe that he can raise his game so consistently. Look at Ajax, admittedly a weaker league but he was phenomenal among average players. He led Uruguay to glory. Forlan was a star at the WC in which Suarez was criminally understated as a result but at the Copa he showed he was the true star of the side. Consequently I don't think he would do worse at 'bigger' club either. He is just tenacious with the attitude of a true winner. Very few players, apart from maybe Messi or Ibra seem fazed like him. It's incredible. A hint of the old school with all the tools of a modern player.

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anyway, Holtby apparently on his way to Spurs.

That London thing keeps working for them, doesn't it?

Spurs fans will love him. Congrats to comme

12. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, to be fair, he might've gotten a go there under AVB specifically seeing as Drogba was in decline then, and AVB himself was also the guy who started leaving Lampard, Terry and Cole out.

Under managers previous to that, (they've had so many that the timeline gets confusing), I think Drogba was playing well enough that you wouldn't even consider putting Sturridge in there instead even if he could play there.

I'm not even arguing he can play there btw. It's more that I feelt the circumstances regarding Abramovich/Torres and prior to that Drogba being a very good player means that Sturridge would have strugggled to have gotten opportunities even if some of Chelsea's many managers thought he could indeed play as a number 9.

13. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am talking about league form only, he has not done anything outrageous at all at Liverpool, he is a talented player but the team is kind of give the ball to Suarez and he revels in that, there have been alot of players like that who look absolute geniuses at small clubs.

He would have problems at a bigger club as he would not be the center of attraction and is one reason nobody was picking him up from Ajax and he had to go to Liverpool not even in Cl, my opinion of couse, it is not that he is a talent anymore, turns 26 in Jan.

14. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Still dont think he is that big a talent, I thought Arsenal were tracking him, he wanted 90 k so dont know if Spurs agreed to that or not. Also makes Sigurddsson a redundant signing.

15. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wrong. Otherwise he wouldn't be player of the year contender. Only one in his way is RVP.

Well, your talent meter is off.

Holtby can also play deeper but I always thought Sigurdsson was an odd move. Holtby will be a great success.

16. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol, and I was talking about him too.

Seriously didn't know what he looked like facially, or not well enough it seems. I'm not even sure how that happened as I've seen him play enough times.

Was thinking a Dortmund player because of all the yellow and black.

Edit: How long has he had his hair like that? It was always shorter when I've seen him.

17. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I can't believe I actually wanted Sigurdsson at United...

[​IMG]

18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Were you watching the league when Ginola was playing? Actually it proves my point, no other Liverpool player even in far distance.

We will see about Holtby, dont think he can play deeper in this league currently, maybe in a year or two, if he does immediately will be a surprise for me.

19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I told you brother, even Johno was angry when I said far better 10s available than Sigurddson for Spuds.

20. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And Spurs only got him because he was going cheap to Liverpool (8 m or something).

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    heh can't forget that guy. he won player of the year (1999) when we won the treble :rolleyes:

22. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am telling SirManc.

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    huh??

That Ginola point is ridiculous.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ah? How ? You pointed that he was in for the award or something.

Lets put it some other way, Suarez has scored 15 league goals for Liverpool, even Bent has scored 24 league goals for Sunderland and 18 for Charlton when the league defenses were better and he was in a poorer teams.
    So he was done nothing outrageous yet and he out shoots Van Persie by 3 shots at the moment while scoring less.

25. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I guess he's been growing it during the time he's been out of favor at Chelsea. hopefully he won't have a blinder next weekend.