Clubs of all sizes... wee and humongous - OTT [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by pgr17, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Look man, you're usually right and spot on but in this case you're just wrong. sorry man

2. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I disagree.

4. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The captain of Georgia is a Top Red ....or Amdrag

5. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Id like to see what Ronaldo's goals and assists tally is. There are also other statistics I'd like to see. Pass percentage. Pass percentage in forward passes, etc.

I'm sure Ronaldo would score a lot at Barcelona, but would he create as well as Messi? Keep possession? Close down?

I have to add, though, I think Iniesta is better than both of them.

6. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Re: creating, keeping possession, clsoing down - i say yes. Theres really nothing cristiano cant do on a pitch and he is very coachable. When he was here, he followed fergies instructions to a T. Real play a counter attacking style thats not always organized or pretty on the eyes but Im conviced he could play tiki taka.

We do agree on Iniesta though. If I could choose any player to play for United, it would be him.

7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    close down and ronaldo dont belong in the same sentence.

8. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    meh, he's never really been asked to do so on a consistent basis. again, i always thought he was very coachable and has the stamina to do it. at barça, he would press up like all the other forwards, no problem. he's not lazy.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm a huge Ronnie can but I have no problem admitting he would not match Messi's play at barca. I do think though that if their roles were reversed, Ronnie would be closest to optimal performance.

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    they tried that at the Copa América 2011(? i think it was) and... disaster. i like your point that it would be interesting to see him do it other than Barça for 2 reasons

a) see if he is system independent or not (i don't think he is)
    b) so probably Iniesta will get some credit.

i would say Xavi too but looks like his time is rapidly running out (before any such move could happen). i mean they both got a player of the tournament award at the last two Euros (as recognition) but sadly for them their job is to make Messi look good, so the better they do their job the better he looks. something like the boss that gets the credit for all your efforts and ideas

11. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Interesting that Casillas didn't vote for Ronaldo, he's really going at it with Mourinho. Can see Ramos becoming permanent club captain pretty soon.

12. Swordsman

Swordsman Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maradona: single handedly (no pun intended) won the World Cup, and 4 years later reached the final game even though he wasn't the same due to injury.
    Messi: Failed every competition with the national team.

Maradona: Single handedly led Napoli to their first league title, and their first domestic double. Then led them to their first European championship (UEFA Cup) and reached the final again the following year.
    Messi: Has been surrounded by great players, they are as much responsible for his success as he is responsible for Barcelona's.

We can discuss this again when Messi goes to a small team and transforms them into domestic and European champions, and when he wins the World Cup.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    OK but they still qualified top.

Let's also not forget that they had a very favourable draw at the tournament, and as Lineker points out - Maradona cheated to break england - a game england dominated for long periods.

The idea that Maradona somehow singlehandedly won the tournament is stretching things IMO.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I just think he is a unique player in the history of the game.

Messi is not even unique this year.

15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Interesting ones:
    Sneijder voted RVP #1
    Gerrard voted Xabi Alonso #3
    Someone voted for Balotelli!
    Low voted for Ozil & Nauer
    Prandelli voted for Pirlo and Buffon

16. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    are you shi**ing me??? where have you been? under a rock???

17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some comedy going on in here alright. And we thought RAWK was bad.

18. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Algeria voted for Benzema..

19. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you surprised by this?

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Where were you in 1986??? Watching the tourney???

21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i meant in terms of your choice of words. singlehandedly and Maradona is a real play on words.

And yes, Maradona clearly handed Argentina the WC in 86....... :D

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  22. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    gala officially talking to inter re: sneijder. guess he wants that 200k at all costs.

23. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bild saying Sahin is 99% going back to Dortmund for 10 million.

How accurate are they ?

24. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Perhaps, but there is no question that he was the stand-out performer, and by a distance. I don't think there is too much arguing against this. Mexico 86 is remembered as Maradona... and a couple hundred other players, nobody on any team from that tournament came even remotely close to his level, and in doing so he guided his team to victory - and not for lack of talent in the other squads. He did cheat to get the lead against England this is true, but he then followed it up with perhaps the greatest goal ever scored in any World Cup, which is also undeniable. He also scored the two goals to beat that quality Belgian team 2-0 in the quarters, and the sole Argentinian goal when they drew 1-1 with an Italian team, typically loaded with talent.

Messi on the other hand, failed to guide Argentina to much of anything in 2010. He failed to make them even competitive against Germany (4-nil), failed to score any goals, failed to produce any real memorable moments, failed to be particularly influential, and failed to stand out in any realistic way. He wasn't awful or anything, but he wasn't even one of the top 10 of the tournament... and the overall talent level of in 2010 was far, far lower than 1986 in the overall tournament, while Argentina were one of the most talented squads there.

Had Messi missed the WC through injury and somebody else taken his place, and had this replacement put in literally touch-for-touch identical performances to what Messi had, the (guts of the) football world would have lamented what could have been as [replacement player] failing to do what Messi unquestionably would have just proves further that Messi is the best in the world/GOAT. Because that was not Barcelona's Messi in South Africa.

Simple as, really. I don't even know why we are still arguing this, as we both clearly agree that Messi is most certainly not the GOAT, and perhaps not even the best player in the world at any point in the last few years.

--

Also in qualifying they did finish top, but were 9 minutes away from having to go through the playoffs, as they would have finished behind Peru. That is coasting through.

25. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    by the looks of it 99% o_O

J'can, johno, Bronaldo and 2 others repped this.