Club Business Thread ** I miei Celtics **

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Apr 16, 2011.

1. RomaRomaRoma

RomaRomaRoma Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Re: American Revolution - April 15th 2011 23:57 - Rosella Vattene IV

On the other hand, thats why America works so (reasonably) well as a nation: Immigrants were willing to give up their identity and take on a new one. There are these days in Europe a large minority who show no interest in giving up on their old ways, and I must say as a European, I prefer the American model.

OT, are we to understand that this Palotta is the real power behind the scenes? I dont like much the idea of a puppet president but maybe thats not the way its going to work, in any case?

2. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma

It might be that there is still someone behind them...I think Pallotta is the wealthiest of all the others, and probably he put it the major share, but the papers say it's Di Benedetto...

Maybe Soros financed all these again? Just a childish dreaming :)

3. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma

You are right and wrong at the same time...Yes, most Europeans lost all their background when moving and settling in the US and have just last names of their origin, but there are nations that never give up their cultures and background and keep it from generation to generation, be it most of the Asia, Easter Europe and most notably Armenia...No, I am not Armenian, but I know lots of them...and regrettably my nation, Georgia, is the first to lose its identity when moving to another country...

You should always know where you come from, respect and follow the culture and at least speak the native language

4. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I am a little bit lost on your point

5. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Yes most immigrants did take on that approach and only looked to money for happiness. But then again, there are large groups here who refuse to become american regardless of their birthplace.

There is a difference between America pre and post 1955 as far as ethnic rights and all things like that.

You can't say it hasn't created problems with north africans demanding rights in France. Demanding rights in a country you paid no taxes, were born in illegally, and only use for its resources.... go figure.

6. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

whoa thought I was in AP American history for a sec

7. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

They want to be Italian, but they don't want to learn the language. My mom was born and raised in Italy, I was born here, making me 100% American. We actually had a lengthy discussion in my Italian conversation class the other day about this topic of what makes someone Italian or not. Some people in my class are actually under the impression that blood means everything. They don't want to admit that Mario Balotelli is more Italian than the entire state of New Jersey and the cast of Jersey Shore.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

They are talking about Pallotta & Di Benedetto on the domenica sportiva saying he wants to make a big squad right away buying important players. Meanwhile, Collovati and Bagni are saying they have to look to the younger players and build up.

9. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

OMG I really thought you were Swedish ;)

Anyway, everyone needs to be patience with the new owners...
    they just took over......saved AS Roma from BK , etc......
    and from what I gather they are smart business people who are also
    in Sport Business..........

Also, some of you might not like what they do, but that's they way it
    goes with new owners ...

10. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

some italians in italy dont want to admit the samething... I had a long discusion with family over there about this which changed their thinking hopefully and made them more accepting

11. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

I was actually going to bring this up as a counter to Falvo's point about Italian-Americans being a special case. In my opinion throughout history, emigrating people have attempted to maintain their culture and values. There isn't anything different or special about the people that migrated from Italy. I'm sure the people flocking from Mexico into the United States are behaving very much in the same manner as those original Italian immigrants were. Then time washes away all things, and you become shaped by your environment.

As for your point about this being a problem in Europe, I think it's exaggerated. In many European countries this is a new reality, and there is a lot of scare tactics. I just believe it's something that's resolved generationally. Those first people that move to a new country in their 20s to 30s are never going to be able to let go completely, but then their children are already a little more influenced than they are, and little by little it sorts itself out. Of course there are some exceptions (gypsies) but overall I don't think it's a longterm problem with the majority of immigrants flocking to Europe. More scare mongering than anything else.

12. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

Let's get this bad boy back on track :D

This piece has some interesting bits in it:

- Di Benedetto was not at all please with either the results or the comments left by Montali and Montella after the match against Palermo. It seems they both tried to pawn it off the anxiety and uncertainty with the sale of the club.

- Montali will be appointed a consultant. This is interesting because it's been long rumored that Di Benedetto wanted Baldini and the bank wanted Montali. It was even suggested that someone at the bank told Montali to go in front of the press and say he would be appointed General Manager as to force it on the new owners. If it's true that Montali is being bumped down into a consultant role, then it certainly opens the door for Franco Baldini.

- Walter Sabatini could be confirmed sporting director this week.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Running it as a business would be great. Considering they don't speak Italian, money is the international language. I'm sure they will have translators and sooner or later they will learn. When I lived and worked in Italy, I was translating for a middle aged Irish-American couple who had no clue about Italian. After a while even they learned so they will speak soon enough. I mean if Ibra and Nedved can learn, I don't see any reason why educated people like Di Benedetto & Pallotta can't...

14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

I don't think any of us were realistically expecting dramatic changes to happen right off the bat. At the same time, just know that changes WILL be coming one way or another is a MASSIVE step in the right direction. We've waited years for this club to finally fall into the hands of the kind of ownership that can help it progress forward, and we've finally managed to achieve that. As disastrous as this season has been thus far, this deal completely overshadows any of the negatives :D

15. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004

Just to adress the cultural identy issue briefly, I think there are two distinct cultres. Italian and Italian-American. Both are equally valid. My wife's mother was born in Sicily and lived there for 17 years before moving here so her experience is more Italian. My family came here after WW1 so while we both have the same amount of Italian blood my cultural experience has been more Italian American. Just my perspective.

Regardless, I think it matters very little if these guys can speak the langage. If they have the money and can run the club correctly it will be ahuge step up from Sensi which is all I care about.

16. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

There are obviously Italian Americans who have kept a lot of Italian culture with them over the years. I think we were talking about the 4th and 5th generation Jersey Shore types, who eat at the Olive Garden, watch Baseball instead of Calcio and don't have a clue how to pronounce their surnames correctly, or care to know how. When you have divorced yourself almost completely from the culture, you cannot call yourself part of that culture.

17. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Its an identity crisis thing :rolleyes:

I am 4th gen. but I wasn't raised like them I suppose. I live across the water from Staten Island, and almost every other kid has a fitted cap on. The Pork Stores are all I have left.

18. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I hope Sabatini tries to bring in Abel Hernandez.

I know the word is that the youth is what they are trying to bring in and keep the costs down I suppose?

It be smart on a PR level to bring Roma in a big signing.

You all know Im still goin for G.Rossi.

19. Z3N157

Z3N157 Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Boardman Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It makes me roll my eyes as well. The side of my family I grew up being close with is from Italy. My great-grandfather couldn't speak a lick of English and didn't use his government issued name at all. Guiseppe LaRocca became Joe Rock. However every generation after him used the "Rock" name. I don't however run around saying "OMG I'm ITALIAN!!!!" I, nor anyone in my family look or act anything like the clowns on Jersey Shore. Have I eaten at Olive Garden? Of course. I don't look at it as Italian food but more Italian - American food. Just like Chi-Chis (when they were open) was Mexi-American food. I don't know Italian (although I'm told when I was a baby I knew some from my Great Grandfather. I think its more of a thing of being an Italian American I pulled some of their great traditions. My family is extremely close (by family I mean cousins and 2nd cousins that I talk to on a weekly basis). We see each other at mass on Sunday and every holiday. My wife who considered her family "close" couldn't believe how my family was. I think that comes from having an Italian heritage. However, as far as I can think any clothing I have (Soccer jerseys included) that I can think of that has a flag on it or is associated with a country is from USA not Italy. I'm American. The area I'm from has a very strong Italian heritage and I am proud of it if asked. I have never met a single person in my part of the country that looks or acts like Jersey Shore cast members. I guess what I'm saying is don't assume that most (or even a percentage) of Americans with Italian heritage act, look, or think anything like them.

As a U.S. Supporter I am not the biggest Rossi fan (to say the least) with that being said I did read an article on ESPN this morning about it being in his best interest to be transfered to Serie A. As soon as I read that I was hoping with the new ownership and their trying to really slam this Italian American thing home they could at least talk about it. The main issue I see with Roma aside from "upgrading" is it would be nice if they got DRAMATICALLY younger.

I'm not in Italy (obviously) so I don't care how they get younger and better. If its through actual Italian players or just raw young international talent. With that being said, no matter the country, there is a certain appeal to a player of any sport that grew up living and cheering for the team being a star and carrying the team to trophies and titles.

20. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

It's been confirmed by Paolo Fiorentino that James Palotta was working with Soros to buy AS Roma 3 years ago.

Of course Soros was never really interested :rolleyes:

I think a monument should be built of Paolo Fiorentino. This is a great man, and a great Romanista. He had the balls to strip away Roma from Sensi and make sure it got sold to a proper candidate and not whatever friend (Tamraz, Swaris) the little midget had planned on trying to propose.

21. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Some reports that Angelucci might end up buying Bari lol.

22. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia

Bari fits him about right. Small club for a small man.

23. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I heard Bari was possibly going to a Floridian television company.

I'd like to see them become American and become a mid table club

24. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma

I would not Bari is a dump, keep it that way.

25. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Hey watch your mouth!