Club Business Thread ** I miei Celtics **

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Apr 16, 2011.

1. SeiUnica

SeiUnica Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Central midfielder can as easily wear #10, if he is in a playmaking role like Pirlo.

2. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i absolutely agree that life will go on after totti, and i assume there will be other great players in the future, but they can wear another number and still be great!

if roma had retired #10 before totti and he became the player he was wearing the #69, then retire the #69! the next great player can pick another jersey # to immortalize! nobody else NEEDS to wear that number, and great players can come through the team with a different number!

if peyton manning asked for #7 when he got to the broncos, i would tell him to take a hike! that's elway's number...

like i said though, agree to disagree i guess...

3. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ShoelessMan I agree with you in principle, but sport culture in the US is just different than in Europe. They place existential value on certain numbers for what they represent and their roles on the pitch. American sports do not. In general, I think retiring someone's number is an amazing honor. It is truly a way to immortalize a player. But if people think that being #10 or a #9 is important for some reason, then I can understand not wanting to retire it.

Baseball numbers used to be determined by your spot in the lineup - that is why Babe Ruth was #3 and Lou Gherig was #4. But eventually that just died out as a practice.

4. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just as numbers corresponding to where you play on the pitch in soccer for the most part have died out as well, except in the hearts and minds of the most diehard fans... for the record, the nfl is one of the few sports i know of where player numbers are still directly tied to what position you play on the field... (it's actually against the rules for an offensive lineman to wear a quarterback number and vice versa, which is why when an offensive lineman moves into the tight end position, it's announced by the referee for everybody to hear that they are checking in as an eligible receiver)

i totally get the attachment in europe (one would argue europe is not alone here) to the number 10. the greatest players in the history of the game have worn #10... (pele, maradona, totti, messi) at the end of the day though, for my money's worth, it's just a number, and totti's career has been once in a lifetime!

oh well, to each his own!

5. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    @romanewsus: #ASRoma shareholders' meeting at #Trigoria on March 31, 2014 about € 100 million capital increase http://t.co/M61xZAJfvQ

6. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Can the capital increase be used for wages/transfers?

7. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Yeah that's what they do every year, they increase the capital to cover the losses and provide some cash for transfers. The question is are they going to keep doing that, or this 100M is supposed to keep the club afloat until the stadium is opened?

8. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    How come Pallotta and Co. have to inject capital every year? Don't Unicredit own half the club? I don't know a lot about business but I'm assuming this is because Pallotta is the majority shareholder. So what's Unicredit's role?

9. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Pallotta's portion of the operation is far more ambitious than the Unicredit share?

10. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That's not allowed under FFP.

Injecting equity is only allowed for infrastructure/youth development and to cover for losses (up to 45 mil over 3 years).

I don't understand much in finance but I was told by increasing the capital, Pallotta and Co dilute Unicredit shares. Maybe not the main purpose but at least one of them.

11. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This is a nice illustration video of FFP

12. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Roma already owes UniCredit money for a series of loans. I believe an initial loan once the club was purchased which went to the transfer market and then a secondary load. A while back I posted an Italian article in this thread and I'm pretty sure it touched on that.

13. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
  14. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roma coming to Orlando at the end of May. Just got tickets to see them play Orlando again. With it just being the end of the season and so many players with WC commitments I can't imagine the team coming over is much more than the Primavera. Still it should be a fun night out. :)

15. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Seems fun ! Take a picture with Taddei for me :D

Midfield General repped this.
  16. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here you go mate...

[​IMG]

Oban14, wm72, Haakon24 and 2 others repped this.
  17. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Hahaha awesome pic!

18. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    either Taddei is taller than i thought

or you're a midget

ShoelessMan repped this.
  19. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I expect we'll be going to see Roma Liverpool at Fenway July 23.

20. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #3870 La Magica, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    10 may never be wore again at Roma and that's something that is understandable. The weight of the number may crush anyone who dares wear it here after and it may essentially never be wore again. I can imagine being a very old man the next time its wore if again and while I agree 10 has a special meaning even today kids here do want 10, at Roma we have a special situation and if any player deserves a number retired its TOTTI at Roma, he is essentially a totally unique player and situation. Whatever the decision the club make in this, it will be disrespectful to criticise that decision as Totti will be involved in the argument.
    To think when I joined here you had a certain section openly suggesting "it would be to much wishful thinking on our part for him to join an MLS side".
    Nobody has reinvented themselves more than Totti, showing class and genius to fit into any formation or system and be the main player for over 2 decades. The shit is unheard of and they can plant an Eiffel tower size statue outside the stadium, call the stadium after him and retire the 10 and that STILL won't fully pay him gratitude for his loyalty.

ShoelessMan, Andreas, Goduerza and 2 others repped this.
  21. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm 5'11".

22. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taddei is bigger in person than on the television. I met him in Orlando last year.

23. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taddei isn't super short. He's kind of gangly, but he's not tiny.

24. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    His height shocked me, as did Castan's

25. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd say a lot of players still want/use the traditional numbers when they're available and many more who just add "1" or "2" before them like De Rossi, Pjanic, Gervinho etc.

Just on our squad (off the top of my head) we have: Castan, Strootman, De Rossi, Taddei, Gervinho, Pjanic, Ljajic, Jedvaj, Lobont in addition to Totti

I think that many is probably average for all clubs.

Also 4, 7 and 9 were taken by Bradley, Marquinho, Osvaldo when most current players took their numbers.