Club Business Thread ** I miei Celtics **

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Apr 16, 2011.

1. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I felt a new thread was in order to celebrate this epical change from the cancerous family of leeches who was determined to see us fail into bankruptcy in order to continue eating from our table.

Last night at 23:57 (local Italy time) AS Roma passed hands from the Sensi family to the group led by Thomas Di Benedetto. The Sensi family who has controlled AS Roma for over 18 years did not even participate in this transition. Certainly not a coincidence, how dare they take away their toy.

Here are the details of the deal, as outlined by a press release from UniCredit:

The source is the original press release released by UniCredit, which you can read in Italian over at Romanews.eu.

I think this should give everyone a very clear and definitive picture of the deal, and the time it's going to take for everything to be done. Unfortunately the leeches running the club created a pandora's box of complicated subsidiaries, leasing situations, and other messes all designed to squeeze every penny out and make an eventual sale very complicated. Things like the 3 billion company structure (Rome 2000 > AS Roma > ASR Real Estate > Brand Management > Soccer SAS) all served no purpose but to pitch money at each level with the likely knowledge that it would come down to bankruptcy or seizure by the bank.

It's a real shame because with just an ounce of dignity they could have sold before Franco died and with much less debt. Then again there are those who questioned if the debt was even real. :rolleyes:

Well it's real enough, and the details of this contract more or less spell it out that this club is sitting on it's death bed and in dire need of someone to breathe life into it.

Now we have to see what these guys really have to offer. There is no quick fix for AS Roma. Money and time and hard work. A whole lot of it is needed.

2. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Re: American Revolution - April 15th 2011 23:57 - Rosella Vattene IV

Well, hopefully those 40M with some more money from sales will be enough to make us competitive next year. And, about the rest of the problems, I'm adamant our new owners will be able to cope with them, as they have known everything, and they still decided to put pen to paper. That must mean they are sure they can handle things.

3. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Wish them best of luck, the are buying us in a time where our whole squad needs major upgrade. I hope they suceed in making us win major titles.

4. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

LMFAO @ the Braveheart post in the previous related thread.

Congratulations everyone! Here's praying DiBendetto is everything we hoped for in an owner.

5. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

I'm hearing the regime change is going to take between ten to forty days depending on how fast bureaucratic stuff happens.

Also hearing a rumor (with no confirmation) that the initial 40 million is not a representation of the total transfer budget, but only the liquid capital needed to make the initial payments. Their theory is players are bought with payments being made in blocks so the 40 million is only what's needed for those initial payments with more capital being introduced later on.

Just a rumor, but I got my fingers crossed.

6. RomaRomaRoma

RomaRomaRoma Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma

Thanks for all the updates, much appreciated!

The Americans look for real but its certainly a different proposition than buying and taking over a well-run Liverpool, for instance. I hope they get that stadium on track ASAP, that will change the game.

7. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I thought 40m sounded about right if we are to comply with the UEFA Financial Fair Play regulations. We can forget about that big name (e.g - Pastore) if it is only 40m. I've read Sabatini has been linked with Coco Lamela alot. If the 40m is indeed the transfer kitty, it'll be Lamela rather than Pastore. After that only the necessities will be looked at - goalkeeper, right-back, left-back and another centre-back.

Sabatini could do alot with 40m but I do hope that rumour is true DDR about there being more tranfer funds available beyond the 40m. We haven't been spoiled in a long time!

8. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

The stadium situation is something to absolutely monitor. It's a very tricky business and it will be very revealing of how strong our new owners really are. There is a lot of talk of this stadium law in Italy which will make it easier for clubs to build new grounds. However I'm hoping we don't waste our time waiting for it. The law among other things would make it easier to build on grounds designated for agriculture. An idea I dislike and in my opinion a sticking point that will continue to create opposition.

I'd like to see a real show of strength and buy the Stadio Flaminio from the city. It was being used by the rugby team of Italy but it seems they are abandoning it for something larger. If we buy it and knock it down and build a new stadium then will have scored a major victory. Anything else in my opinion will likely suffer major setbacks.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

As an Italian-American, I'm really happy and proud that there is an Italian -American investing in Roma. Maybe now the mentality of winning will start taking place. Money doesn't always buy championships but it seems that way throughout the Serie A's most recent history. Hopefully, things will change......

Here come the Yanks:

Scopa nuova Scopa bene! Chocolates & Cigarettes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

God Bless America, my home sweet home!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. italianstall10n

Jun 21, 2008
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

LOVE IT!!! Lets hope the American winning spirit can take our team and make them CAMPIONI!

I will def. be offering a "cin cin" to our new owners tonight! Congrats fellow Romanisti!

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Guys - I was surprised that the sale price was only 70 million. It does not seem like much for a sports franchise. Is Di Benedetto assuming past debt, which brought down the value of the team? The numbers are very low.

13. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The bank is cutting the cost of the team so it can be reinvested.

Its in the banks best interests as now they own 40% of the stake that was for sale

14. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

You should read my entire first post:

Club (Sensi shares) - 70 million
    Club (Public shares) - 30 million
    Debt to be covered - 35 million

So the price is actually a 130 million, and I personally think it's about right. Roma doesn't own any fixed assets. The training grounds and stores are all leased. If that wasn't the case then the price would easily shoot up to 200 million. Player contracts because of their fluctuation and the fact that you need to pay them don't have too much a bearing. Then there isn't much else to consider. Shirt sponsor is useless and has barely any pull in Europe let alone the world.

It's like Carlo Zampa said back in 2008, turning down Soros offer of 280 million was Rosella's biggest mistake. It was a once in a lifetime offer. In fact the bank immediately moved to seize everything from realizing she would never sell. Now she get's nothing.

Also worth considering these Americans lose a boat load on the current exchange rate. So they are spending something like 200 million dollars.

Also consider that without these guys the club goes bankrupt in May and starts from the bottom again. I'd call that negotiating leverage.

15. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

FOOTBALL, Roma; PALLOTTA: The GOAL TO CREATE A TEAM That can win The SCUDETTO

"We hope to create a team that can win the championship." These are the words of James Pallotta, a consortium of members of the DiBenedetto, who spoke with journalists in Boston. "I was interested in Rome in the past - said Pallotta, who has set up the Boston Celtics in the NBA - after the Soros deal failed, but when Thomas DiBenedetto called me, I agreed to join the project. Our goal is to bring Roma to win a championship. Over the last 3-4 days we received several calls from people involved in football in the United States, people who want to involve the AS Roma match here and overseas. I think I'll be in Rome by the end of May, I hope to see the last league game this year. "

http://sport.repubblica.it/news/spo...-obiettivo-creare-squadra-da-scudetto/3954310

James Pallotta seems the most promising out of all. Seems the richest.

16. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

I like him already

17. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma

i ordered a bottle of champagne last night for dinner to celebrate.

Asked about why I said "The witch is gone and we are free, the club was sold." I got a blank stare back

18. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
  19. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma

This is America were talking about afterall.. I know people here with the last names Smith, Johnson, Clayton who all claim they are Italian. At least this guy has an Italian last name!

Plus who cares anyway

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The good thing about the Italian -American community in the states, is that they have always maintained their Italian family values , culture, religion as well as their many traditions. Many Italian-Americans didn't learn to speak the language because after both world wars, many of the immigrants wanted their kids to be American and speak English as there was a lot of predjudice towards Italians. Many parents were reluctant to teach their kids their native language and this was unfortunate. Having grown up in California, I've always felt more Italian than American. However, when I lived Italy, I couldn't stand to see all the American influence especially among the younger generation. It seems on the surface anyway, Italians tend to emulate and worship the worst and not the best things about America and that is very sad.

21. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Extremely well said

1 person likes this.
  22. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Palotta is most likely doing this to appeal to the Roma fans. There is a lot of "uncertainty" With Dibenidetto and Co. as they are the first foreign owners in Serie A. It just shows relation and eases the fears of the community.

However I don't really like it when people go around "Oh Im italian" or "im this".

"What are you?" Well usually, Im pretty hungry.

Whats your ethnicity do you mean? Oh. Well, I am southern italian american.

23. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

I just thought it was funny and typical. You often meet Americans that claim to be everything but American when in fact that's about all they are. Wasn't really directed at him, just found it funny he feel into that trap.

24. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Yeah I can't stand that. "I'm polish, Russian, Czeko-Slovakian, Irish, italian and dutch! Oh, and I think my mother's mother's mother was from France!" lol.

my friend was born here and has lived here his entire life but his parents are from bosnia. Every other day I have to hear about how great it is over there.

25. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

There definitely is a culture that has become American, with absolutely almost no traces of their ethnic culture but their last names....

I am extremely patriotic, but that lack of cultural values and all the BS has been making me want to leave a bit.