Climbing the Mountain: Bob Bradley at Stabæk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    would his WC experience and qualifying with Egypt (since he was out of his element) count for anything? Cardiff's manager had a few years with success turning a small club into a back to back title winner and he could only get a job as a replacement for a relegation fodder club and he had experience in English football. Perhaps then maybe the Championship might be the best for Bob or maybe Belgium/Holland?

2. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about we let Bob manage more than one game before having a discussion about his next move.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It was just a thought. Nothing more.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has a winning percentage of 100% in the European top flight. Clearly he should take over for Moyes.

Anything? Yes. A lot? I doubt it, but I'm also not a board member anywhere. Had he made the World Cup with Egypt and done well though, I do think he could have landed higher than Stabaek.

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's some sweet TIFO.

6. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Not to be snarky, but do we need two threads in here about this?

8. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    It was deadline day over here yesterday, so it was quite bussy. Stabæk has been looking for a striker, but unfortunatly the dominos did not fall our way last night. Instead we got an intresting looking central defender who has been releasen from his club in The Ukrain.

The game, well, I saw it live from the stabæksupport stand. It is always difficult to asess the game from there as emotions tends to Get the better of you.

So from my point of view. We deserved the win, playing a smarter brand of fotball than in preseason. More direct, less passing across the field. A deserved win, but it was aginst a bunch of lumbering giants with limited skills. So it is probably wise not to get carried away. There is a lot of hybris here now :). But bob is realistic - one down 29 to go.

This one gave us hope!

9. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call the Daily Mail. Man United are lining up Bradley to replace Moyes.

My sources claim their scouts were awed by the tactical symphony he conducted in the Tippeligean opener.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video of the Captain AmeriBob tifo:

Testudo, Geneva, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool

12. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Second round comming up. We travel westward to Norways second lagrest city, Bergen. A rainy shithole of a place, were we face the local pride Brann.

Last time we visited this place our supporter bus was attacked when a small gang of degenerates found it timely to hurl some cobblestones through the bus windows. Luckily no one got killed or seriously injured. Some of our lads apperehended one of the culprits only to find themselves at the butts end of the local law enforcement beeing fined for disturbing the peace. One policy offiser was quoted saying "this is not Norway, this is Bergen", when some of our guys protested their behaviour. So my personal advice, should you ever visit Norway, skip Bergen.

Well, enough of that. Brann has, like Stabæk, recruited a new coach ahead of this season. Rikard Norling won the swedish leauge with Malmø FF last season, before joining Brann. They have, like Stabæk, struggeled a bit this preseason. But unike us they have not found their form yet, and opened the season with a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Brian Deanes Sarpsborg team. They are still massive favourites to win this game. However, their crowd is very impatient and will quickly turn on their own if things doesn't turn out the way they expect. So if we can keep it together for the first 60 minutes, tings might get interesting.

nbarbour, WrmBrnr, ChrisSSBB and 5 others repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    This is the side of Norway we never get on the Colbert Report.

deejay, OWN(yewu)ED and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    FT: Brann 1-2 Stabaek, Bob Bradley's team win their 2nd straight match thanks to a Franck Boli brace.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great start for Bob!

16. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. And Bergen is in the part of Norway that people usually recommend to visit, though I digress.

Happy that Bob is off to a great start. I decided to try and follow Tippeligaen this season and I'm glad that I have a team to support!

17. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Heh, was keeping tabs on today's game before today and managed to forget about it again. :p

So far so good I suppose! :)

18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That puts them top of the table; of course with only two games played. :whistling:.

Still, not a bad start for a newly promoted team.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No place to go but down! [/Debbie Downer]

LouisianaViking07/09 and ttrevett repped this.
  21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    biased partisan reporting :D , he also conveniently leaves out the thriving bear population as well, a bit of a hypocrite.

22. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    The Bradley boys are flying high. A not entierly unexpexted win aginst Brann in Bergen. Yes we were a bit lucky, but there are no rules aginst luck. Besides we have a good goalkeeper and Boli is on fire, while Brann has low confidence, and a number of key players are still not in form. It was a good time to meet them, and we made the best of it.

Next up is the highly overrated Molde. Led by a sub par coach in the form of mr Skullerud and a attacking quartet of inept yet highly rated forwards. This is another game providing us with good posibilities for another good result.

2 down 28 to go, this one gave us confidence

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Looking at Stabaek's track record in the past 15 years, they've had plenty of good years but also a couple of tumbles to relegation.

Ringo, if you don't mind my asking, what's a fair expectation for the current season?

24. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    I'm really uncertain. If you had asked me a few weeks ago, I would have been inclined to say that the likely result would be relegation.

But this start has taken all by surprice. Bob is experienced, and has made a few but significant changes to the way we play fotball compared to what we saw in preseason.

There has never been any doubt about the talent in this team, but it has lacked experience and leadership on the pitch and in preseason they have displayed a naive and inefficient type of football.

Jon Inge Høiland did not play that much in preseason. But the 36 years old veteran has come in and provided both leadership and experience in the central defence these first couple of games. Adu has found his spot in the midfield, raising the bar and taking the role as regista, and doing it well. These two have been important in the seson opening.

At the same time there are concerns. Adu is only on loan until august. Sayouba is most likely going to get picked for the IvoryCoast WC team, and will miss some matchen. We do not have cover for him, and will nede to play a completely inexperienced youngster for a few games. There is potential for conflict as Bob arena to favour foreign players over Norwwgians. Henderson beeing a prime excample. He is obviously not TL standard, yet he is preferred in the starting XI.

It is early days yet, and vi have met manageable oposition. There are thougher days ahed. Still we have shown that we can hold our own at this level. We might still get relegated, but chances for survival are definately been improved overt the first few games. If we can keep calm and carry on. I think we can end somewhere around mid table. But Ask me again in a few weeks time, when the leauge has setteled some.

25. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Written on my Ipone with an annoying autocorrect