Climbing the Mountain: Bob Bradley at Stabæk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Jeff...... Paging @Jeff Bradley....... We need inside info about your bro's new gig. :D

Seriously, I guess the overtures couldn't be resisted. While not the move that I pegged; it has long been rumored. Congrats to Bob. I guess I will have to re-up my knowledge on Stabaek since it trickled away when Mix left. BTW, I do know there is one Yank, another Norwegian-American, at the club.

3. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Good for Bradley, but I honestly think coaching Vancouver would have been a tougher challenge (and a better job). In MLS, he could have challenged for a the Supporter's Shield/MLS cup in 2-3 years. With Stabaek, the best he can hope for is a top 4 finish, and maybe 1-2 rounds of European play.

Plus Vancouver has a number of great players: Camilo, Mattocks, Kenny Miller, Reo-Coker, DeMerit (if healthy).

4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    im guessing norway is just the first stop in bob's much bigger plans...

5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Yeah, but plans don't always go as they proceed. He needs to finish top 4 to have a shot at a better league. Even if he does, which league is going to offer him a job? Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland are reasonable goals. England and Germany are long shots. But I do think he could get a job in the Championship or second bundesliga.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. Arguably and admittedly that might be more than Stabeak at this point -- who knows. However, there is little arguing that Bob (and most everyone else) feels Norway may be the best option as a starting point for his larger career plans.

7. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Who is "most everyone else"? Only Bob thinks this right now. Good for him if it gets him to where he wants to go, but Vancouver is a better club than Stabaek.

One more thing. Vancouver usually draws 20,000 per game. Stabaek's stadium only holds 7,000, and they averaged 4,000 fans per game last time they in were in the Tippaleagen (in 2012):
    http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/nor.1/year/2012/norwegian-tippeligaen?cc=5901

8. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    The only way I bless this move is if Stabaek offered him the same/more money than Vancouver did. But I'm betting Stabaek is paying him about half of what Vancouver offered (if not less).

9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    bob probably believes that in order to be considered for bigger european club jobs he needs to have experience managing in europe and is willing to work his way up the ladder in chasing his dreams. vancouver might be a rung or two higher than stabaek, but thats irrelevant if bob perceives the caps as being higher on a wholly separate ladder.

10. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    He always said he wanted to coach in Europe, and this is probably his only offer so he took it. I hope he does well. MLS will always take him back if need be. He's proven himself in MLS enough that if he ever needs a job or wants to come back later, he'll still be in demand even if he doesn't light Europe on fire.

11. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Exactly...Vancouver might be the better job in the short term, but long-term this is the right move for Bob. Get to Europe, go to Norway, do well, then make your way to Belgium and ring yourself up the ladder as time progresses. If he went to the MLS, the chances of him making his way to Europe decrease significantly.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 m vann, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Vancouver may be a better club but it remains to be seen if MLS and any of its clubs are a better launching pad for American managerial careers aboard. There's very little history of US coaches abroad. Essentially, there is no barometer -- or if there is, it's based on Berhalter's small sample size. With that said, since there is little to no history, no real barometer, why not take a gamble at a club like Stabeak who are in Europe?? You are much closer and probably more connected to rest of Europe. Bradley could very well be a trailblazer of sorts. His success could mean sooner than later coaching in MLS is a better launching pad to the bigger leagues (in Europe) than say Norway. But until that success happens, IMO, Norway will present itself with more opportunities.

I don't know all the ins and outs but there was a whole mess about Stabaek's stadium situation. It was a mess; a real clusterf**** -- if you will. They played in the exceptional nice and modern Telenor Arena that seated 15K. IIRC, when Mix played for Stabaek, the stadium was close to full capacity for most matches. Obviously, the attendance has dropped and they are in a smaller arena. Maybe promotion will bring the fans back. BTW, the whole league only averages 7K which is much, much smaller than MLS. So really attendance is irrelevant when discussing if this is a good move.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to Bob! I'm sure he will do great out there. Working in Europe as oppose to Vancouver or MLS is a no brainer, for a coach who wants to coach in Europe and hopefully get to a top tier league. The plan is to do well, then be seen by a bigger league. Believe me, succeeding in MLS means nothing in Europe. He needs to be there to interact with people in the area so that maybe another opportunity opens up. The longer he is there, the better relationships he builds so if second tier leagues wants to give him a chance then he would be moving up the latter. If this man can succeed in Chivas USA he can succeed anywhere, it is just a matter of time.

Winoman and ckl26 repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Awesome news! Hope Bob does us proud.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    May be he just wants to live/work in Europe at this point of his life. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Norway, especially after insanity of his previous job.

16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmm, speaking of rumors about Michael moving on from Roma...

...jk! Great to see an American coach in Europe.

17. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True story. Just the experience of living and working in Europe would be tempting, regardless of all other factors. Best luck to Bob on every level.

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's not for you or me to 'bless' a coaching move. I mean, it's not even like it's an NT player that could help us out someday. But for what it's worth, I do agree that of your list, Mattocks is probably the only one that might have an equivalent on a just-promoted Tippeligaen side at any particular point.

superdave repped this.
  19. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I'm not sure Bob really "proved" himself in today's MLS. He won one MLS Cup back in 1998 when MLS was a completely different league than it is today. No disrespect, but it was a lot easier to win the league back them (weren't there only 10 or so teams anyway)?

Second, he hasn't coached in MLS since 2006. Again, that is a long long time ago, and the league is completely different now.

I think winning in MLS is a launching pad to a career in Europe, if that's what Bob wants. Gary Smith won MLS cup then got a job in England (albeit at lower level). Paul Mariner got a job in England after being an assistant coach forever. Juan Carlos Osorio has gotten good jobs in Mexico and Colombia. And Bruce, Sigi and Dom could all get jobs in England/Germany/Scotland if they really wanted them.

20. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I think Tiebert has a lot of potential.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Just to add to that, Gary Smith went from MLS to (in my opinion) an even lower level than MLS -- League One in England.

Paul Mariner got the job mostly based on his playing career -- he scored 56 goals for the very team he ended up coaching and at one time was a starting striker for the England national team. I can't imagine that his assistant coaching experience was more of a factor than that.

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    And it looks like he'll be in a very attractive spot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bærum

Bærum has the highest income per capita in Norway[3] and the highest proportion of university-educated individuals.[4] Bærum, particularly its eastern neighbourhoods bordering West End Oslo, is one of Norway's priciest and most fashionable residential areas, leading Bærum residents to be frequently stereotyped as snobs in Norwegian popular culture. The municipality has been voted the best Norwegian place to live in considering governance and public services to citizens.[5]

matabala and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  23. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm certainly a Staebek fan now, great to hear!

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    And Stevenage is one of the smallest clubs in League One.

It's no coincidence that the club that hired Mariner was Plymouth Argyle, which is where he started his playing career.

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    over/under on # usa players he will bring to norway?
    any ideal prospects??