Clemente Sacked

Discussion in 'Basque Clubs' started by South East Citizen, Jul 7, 2006.

1. South East Citizen

South East Citizen New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Exiled in Kent
    Athletic have sacked Clemente, not apparently because he criticized the board for the players the have brought in recently, but what else could it be? He did everything asked of him after Mendilibar left and finished the season with a win over Barca.

Does anyone know which players Clemente asked for but the board wouldn't approach?

2. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  3. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The board brought in:

Josu Sarriegi, Gabilondo, Alex García, Javi Martínez, who is 17. Clemente did not want these players especially Javi Martinez.

Clemente had asked for the following:

Raúl García, Ocio and Iraizoz. of the four players that the board brought only Gabilondo was on Clementes list.

http://www.as.com/articulo/futbol/C...orka/Ocio/dasftbA00/20060705dasdaiftb_21/Tes/

4. South East Citizen

South East Citizen New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Exiled in Kent
    Thanks Pichi. I thought Athletic tried to sign Ocio but he chose to sign a new contract with Sevilla instead?

I think Athletic should go all out to sign Xabi Prieto and play him on the right and play Etxebe just behind the striker now he is not as quick as he used to be, but I guess Donostia would never let this happen (again!)