Class of 2013 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by RedBlueDevil, Aug 26, 2010.

1. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Ridiculously early, I know, but it's happening for some exceptional players so let's post.

Here are two that I know of:

Krissi Killion to Oklahoma State. A lightning fast skilled forward from Hurricane FC in Tulsa.

Joanna Boyles to UNC. National team attacking mid from CASL.

2. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Hopefully the NCAA finally brings some sanity to the recruiting process since obviously college coaches don't seem to be inclined to do it.

3. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Pot calling the kettle black? Hopefully, your comment includes National Team staff coaches, like yours at Penn State, not using National and Region I team leverage for college recruiting benefit.

4. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anna McClung of Gate City HS in Virginia and Brentwood Soccer Club in TN. The real deal and can carry a team if needed. No conscience whatsoever as a shooter.

5. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Where is McClung committed?

6. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowhere that I've heard. She plays against my daughter in HS and most of what we get is third-hand gossip, but there appears to be some interest out there for her. Should be interesting to see how her sophomore season goes.

7. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Just wanting to post actual verbals.

8. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't be much of a thread for a year then, much more fun to speculate, throw names out of prospects. As for the 2012's, there was already a thread that was several pages long for speculation and signings. Your thread title was "Class of 2013 Recruiting" not "Class of 2013 Signings"

9. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    The several page long class of 2012 thread doesn't contain any names of players committed; it is a discussion of NCAA recruiting rules, etc.

There won't be many 2013 verbals, but that's the point. It should be easy to note as each one commits. And styling the thread "signings" would have been inappropriate and premature, since that won't occur for two more years, smart guy.

10. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, thanks for actually supporting my point, smart gal.

The 2010 Recruiting, 2011 Recruiting and now the 2012 Recruiting threads are all sparsely populated with actual names, since most people like to tiptoe around those things on message boards and rely on CBG's list to verify verbals and signings. In that light, it's completely acceptable and within reason to have discussion in a 2013 Recruiting thread and not limit it to signings and commitments only.

Perhaps "Signings" would be inappropriate, and calling the thread "Commitments" might be more in line, but following the same title format as previous years is only going to lead everyone to assume the thread's purpose will be the same as the others. It's about "Recruiting" which covers the whole gamut, and as I stated before, it won't be much of a thread if all you want to see is commitments.

11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Florida State.

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Things are starting to take a little (very little) shape with the 2013's now (mid May, 2011)

Statistically only 9% (30 of 322) D-I schools have received commitments from a total of 63 2013 players. 19 of those schools have only one 2013 player committed. Of the remaining 11 schools most have 2 players committed with OK State at the top having 5 2013s committed. The vast majority of quality players are yet to commit and, if the pattern of the past few years is repeated, will essentially all have done so in the next 8 months.

Surprisingly, unlike last year (2012 class), it is the very top players who have already verbally committed. (I assume that this is from pressure from recruiters to go after the the top talent first. But what makes it different from a year ago when the very top players held out until December?) If we take Top Drawer's "Top 100" list, we see that 6 of their top 7 have already committed. Then it starts to fall off with regard to early commitments. Between #8 and #15, four have committed, and from #16 to #25, only three have committed.

These early rankings are highly subjective. But in this TD list of top 100, BC, ND, UNC, and Stanford each have two committed. Those names sound familiar?

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Not to get too controversial. (ok, i don't much Care)

The previous players at the top of their classes had the issue of being named to national teams by the national team coach that was also recruiting them to a specific school.

Players gamed the system as much as the coaches by holding out until after world cup teams were named. They didnt want to jeopardize their chances for the national team, in some cases, by saying no to the coach at the NCAA level.

14. Focker

Focker Member

Oct 29, 2010
    UCLA & Stanford always cherry pick the top players. Nothing new. Most of them are right in their backyard. Easiest schools to recruit too. They should land most of top players.

Both have combine zero national titles. hehe

15. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Add UNC to the list that cherry picks (and deservedly so).

I have some knowledge when it comes to 2013s, as I have one, but the pressure to commit is building, and a lot of the TDTop 100 will, I expect, be committed by September (mine will, of that I can be sure).

OK State is abnormally heavy this year, due to the fact that they have an outstanding club team (Hurricane 95) in their backyard, with several TDTop 100 players; this is a case of making hay while the sun shines, because it doesn't shine very often on Oklahoma club soccer.

16. MDMonarch

MDMonarch Member

Jan 31, 2008
    UCLA actually doesn't really have great 2011/2012 classes. I wouldn't say they cherry picked at all.

17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Actually, the 2011 UCLA class (enrolling this sumer or fall) is an astounding class, the likes of which may never be seen again. It's off the charts in quality and quantity and variety. Of the 11 incoming freshmen, 10 have national team credentials. (The lone outier is "only" a quality regional ODP player and was on the 2010 USYS national champion U-17 team.) Of the 10 national team players, 2 are foreign, one on the Canadian U-17 World Cup team, and the other is a New Zealand U-20 who advanced to the full women's National Team. Of the remaining 8 American incoming freshmen, 7 are NSCAA All Americans, and 4 are Parade All Americans. (Only one was not an All American, but she traveled internationally with the U-17 YNT.) Of the 11 incoming freshmen, there are 3 forwards, 3 midfielders, 4 defenders, and one keeper. .... and then there is the incoming junior transfer from Vanderbilt who was also the Canadian U-20 POY, and now is on the full National Team with 6 caps to her credit. (If you grant that the three foreign players coming in would certainly have All-American status if they played in the USA, then the incoming 2011 players represent the equivalent of 10 All-American quality players.)

For comparison, UNC, Stanford, Notre Dame, and any other top D-I school have never had a class like this one. Top (#1) classes usually have only half as many players with these kinds of accolades. (UNC's top ranked class in 2006, of which 2 players are currently on the Women's National Team roster, "only" had 4 All-Americans, and this year top-level classes at Stanford and Notre Dame have 3 All-Americans. Virginia does have 5 All-Americans in its 2011 class, which in any other year would have been a hands-down, "no-contest" #1 class.)

Yes, it is true that the 2012 commitments are only "average", but that is to be expected following such a blockbuster year. ("Only average" means Regional ODP players who would be starting at most other D-I programs.)

For 2013, although it yet may be hard to recruit against their incredible 2011 class, the Bruins may have the TD #3 national player (Gabriella Miranda) locked up and they are firmly in the running for several other top 25 players.

IMO, with a class like UCLA's, 2011's, when added to a talented group of upperclassmen, they should be at the College Cup for the next four years.

18. defendher

defendher Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Keep in mind the UCLA 2011 class was recruited by JE. Let's see what happens now that the JE regime is over.

19. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yes, and as Cliveworshipper has pointed out, she was in the enviable position of both recruiting to UCLA and selecting the U-20 team in which there is serious leverage, even if unspoken.

20. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Also keep in mind, the 2013s have been on campus since last summer and fall 1) when Jill was still at UCLA and 2) are now playing for her with the U17s now. Mmmmmmm, makes you wonder what's "suggested" at those individual meetings at the end of U17 camps.

21. attackerp

attackerp Member

Nov 4, 2009

I got news for you, B.J. and Shannon did most of the recruiting. They were the face of the Bruins at most of the tournaments around the country. I never saw JE at one until they failed on their 3rd consecutive attempt at the College Cup.
    And we all know she was at the NT camps because she was in charge of them.

All the initial (contact) calls were made by/to BJ. Just like its done at 99% of the other institutions. The "new" coaches probably do most of their own, but it eventually turns over to the assistants. If their successful.

I'm sure JE probably may have closed the deal.

And I agree with CW. Players have learned to play the system as well if not better than the "NT College Coaches".

IF BJ is successful, he will fall in line with the others. Plus he will have JE's Allegiance.

22. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Anyone seen these 15 year old gals play?

They must be pretty talented..:cool:

23. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Amber Munerlyn to Stanford

Emily Bruder to Stanford

Paul Ratcliffe sure can get it done on the recruiting front.

24. kickinit20

kickinit20 New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    it cant be toooooo hard if you are offering a school like stanford...who could possibly say no :)

25. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yes, once again, Stanford is out in front for the 2013s and Munerlyn is a premium catch. She had UNC listed as her #1 choice a month ago, but being far away from home turns out to apparently have been the bigger issue, and Stanford fit the bill there. Some kids/families put a lot of weight on that factor. Others do not.