Alert: CL Round of 16. Real Madrid v. Manchester United, Wednesday, February 13th [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am actually out of "rehab" now and following my own routine which includes a lot of heavy barbell work and then using my extended access to the rehab center for some more advanced plyo work. I am focusing on getting my quad big, strong and responsive before I worry too much about cardio. The joint feels very stable though, which is good.

The wall and I have been friends since I was a small child. It is also the reason I am equally adept with both feet when striking and controlling the ball. I actually still make the guys I coach in college use the wall - most are not great with their opposite foot and it shows there. Oddly enough, the final time my knee collapsed I was at a wall pinging balls to release some stress.

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ha! striking coincidence that.

Dr. Boots repped this.
  3. sab456

sab456 Member

May 20, 2007
    There isn't anyone to rate in Madrid's back four. Their best defender is past his prime (Carvalho). On top of that, they have a inexperienced Gk in goal.

I see no reason why Rvp can't get a goal at the very least.

Unless the United MF does it's annual CL disappearing act, there are goals for Utd in this.

4. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A lot of talk about the best way to handle Madrid is to let them have the ball and not let them counter attack.

5. RaDiuM

RaDiuM Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Much respect to United and you guys, great to see a classic match with no bad blood between the fans. I just wanted to make a few comments and I hope no one takes anything the wrong way.

First and foremost, I understand why many of you believe the match will revolve around CR7, RVP, and Rooney. I think Madrid has more to offer when it comes to the CL and that Di Maria on his good day(Which is most CL matches) is a terrorizing force. He will be equally vital when he's on his day and Mou will make sure all his players are hyped and ready to do battle. I expect Madrid to attack fiercly and relentlessly for the opening minutes which could possibly make or break the 1st leg.
    Another comment I'd like to make is that Diego Lopez is by no means an inexperienced keeper. He came through our ranks and left for Villarreal and has been outstanding since returning in January. Some believe his form has been better than Iker himself this season, and I'm sad to agree.

When it comes to Arbeloa, I agree that he could get torn apart on the flank, but I believe Mou will have thought this through. Will be interesting to see both line-ups come D day.

Tactically there's no way to see who will win the mind game, but physically it'll be Madrid's speed vs United's organized team play. One small mistake could cost both teams a goal. I wouldn't be surprised to see horrid defensive mistakes on either side since the focus I believe will be Madrid trying to put the tie to bed and United trying to get as many away goals as possible.

Either way I wish both teams luck and like Mou said, whatever the outcome there will always be a good part to this.

Loving the fact that Ronaldo has two home games as well, curious to see how he shows up at OT but we'll save that for later.

Respect and peace out :)

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  6. sab456

sab456 Member

May 20, 2007
    He might have good form but he doesn't have experience at the big stage. In a knockout stage against man united, you would rather have Iker than Diego.

7. RaDiuM

RaDiuM Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    At this stage I would rather have Iker than Benzema....

8. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Someone said that in the Madrid thread we are talking like we already won. Believe me, every RM fan who has 2 clues and has been watching us regularly this season is worried about this clash.

Good luck.

Laaura and LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  9. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So about 3 of you then. :D

johno, cr7torossi and LGRod repped this.
  10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Note sure if it's been posted already but this will get us a little bit more excited for tomorrow:

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Morris20 and johno repped this.
  11. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    MUFC Traveling Squad:

De Gea, Lindegaard;

Büttner, Evans, Evra, Ferdinand, Jones, Rafael, Smalling, Vidic;

Anderson, Carrick, Cleverley, Giggs, Nani, Valencia, Young;

Hernandez, Kagawa, Rooney, van Persie, Welbeck.

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Actualy Diego Lopez is experienced in the CL. He's played against us at leasr 5 times. He was part of those villreal teams over the past 5 seasons or so, which did very well.

Vocalz repped this.
  13. Habra10

Habra10 New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Last time United midfielders played against Spain TOP (Barcelona or Madrid)... it was a disaster in Wembley. In my opinion Carrick is a good player (not Busquets or Alonso) but... who is Cleverley in big games? It´s a kid. In Spain we see it that way.

Real Madrid is not Southampton or Wigan. This is another pace, another speed.

Rooney, Van Persie, Evra or Ferdinand (even now) are TOP players, but United mids i think they can´t play at this level. We will see tomorrow.

14. Habra10

Habra10 New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    That´s it. Real Madrid pressing is something unbelievable. Even Xavi or Iniesta can´t pass trough. Carrick or Cleverley are too slow in passing. They are going to make mistakes. That´s what I said in last post.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wish Madrid's management was as ignorant and overconfident as their fans. The only advantage we have going in management-wise is that they don't know how we will play. However, on the pitch, we have several areas that we can exploit. This is a tasty match-up.

16. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did you just bracket the current Madrid side with the Barcelona United faced at Wembley?

:ROFLMAO:

Cevno, benni... and Amdrag repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    God knows we've never faced the likes of Modric and Alonso, ever before.

Invincible, LA. MAN UNITED and Morris20 repped this.
  18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, because over the past couple of years Barcelona have had no success against the mighty Madrid. :rolleyes:

19. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FFS we'll be doing well to keep them under 6 goals at this rate :rolleyes:

Cevno, Invincible, johno and 2 others repped this.
  20. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Didn't see many line-ups featuring Kagawa here, I think he may start.

--------------RVP
    Rooney-----Kagawa-------Nani
    -------Carrick---Jones
    Evra----------------------Rafael
    ----------Evans----Rio--------
    ---------------De Gea

21. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    flip Kagawa and Roonaldo, and insert Vidic for Evans / Valencia for Nani?

22. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Please don't go overboard. Our forum has been more than reasonable in assessing this match-up. If you want to take one or two posts as being representative of our fans as a whole, be my guest, but it simply isn't true.

Laaura repped this.
  23. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    [​IMG]

Amdrag repped this.
  24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Are you asking lol.

What are your thoughts? Why do you think those moves would benefit us?>:)

25. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lets not make fun of the mentally challenged please.