Alert: CL Round of 16. Real Madrid v. Manchester United, Wednesday, February 13th [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Guys, as shown from last night, not only is Ramos a big diving baby and a cheat, he is pure crap, was at fault for Welbeck's goal and has the pace of a turtle.

2. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    BTW, this is easily the longest match thread we've had for at least 2 years here, and mostly good discussion too.

benni..., johno, Cevno and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Putting it being an obviously big game aside for a sec, I do think that starting the thread early helped. That's something we should maybe look into in the future. We've become very lazy in getting the match threads started (I'm as guilty as anyone).

johno and Cevno repped this.
  4. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    credit to pgr17 for starting every match thread.

benni..., johno and Cevno repped this.
  5. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Start the Reading thread ?

Father Ted and johno repped this.
  6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Was thinking the same thing.

Co-sign.

As for the return leg. I think it was stud who said we score on 9% of our corners, is there a break down for left vs right? I feel like one thing that would have helped us yesterday was balance. It felt like most of our corners and attacks came down the left. Given the way Madrid attack, having threats on both sides of the pitch is going to be useful. 1 v 1, their defenders had nothing for RvP or Welbeck and the more we spread them out, the better.

7. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    johno repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i have always wondered about this. not necessarily from non-UK folk but haters in general.

since 07/08 (and especially after summer 09) according to them we have been poor, aided by refs(Ferguson influencing them), weak opponents and cheating to win. all that while every other team we somehow manage to overcome has had luck that not even the Irish can match.

yet we have two PL titles, lost one on GD with 89pts, two CL finals, a CWC and two league cups. all this while still doing better than 95%+ of the clubs they support. [who could never be bad btw]

now if all that is true according to them and we are a flaky, lucky & poor team, imagine what we could achieve if we were actually a good team?

9. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    The perfect response from United fans is "Then what does that make you?" There's no counter point that they can make.

10. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Just out of curiosity, what combination of results over the upcoming two Clasicos do you all think benefits you the most against Real Madrid in the second leg? It will be fascinating to see how this all unfolds.

11. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ronaldo missing would be a start :D

12. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I don't expect RM to take the second Clasico seriously.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not really bothered by the specifics. If Madrid were in a close tie and had some extra time to play just days before our match, I'd be happy about that. The 2 players who can make our lives quite difficult imo are Oezil and Khedira. By that I mean, the two players who we can actually do something about. If they in particular are tired, it will be very hard for Madrid to best us away from home.

One is the 'glue' type player who combines good technique with tireless work-rate and the other is the creative outlet of the team. If they both have stinkers, it will take an absolute monster of a game from Ronaldo to beat us... and you cannot plan against that anyway.

14. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    They certainly don't want to be embarrassed at home right before they head over to Manchester though. That being said, if we eliminate them in the Copa, I can see them almost throwing the league Clasico away so they can focus everything on the CL. That would be the smart thing to do in that situation.

15. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Think Barca giving them a rollicking in the Del Rey would be good. Then they would have to risk another one in the 2nd game if they rest players.

Would have been better if the 2 matches were the other way round though. Guess, Barca wearing them out badly would be good.

16. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Very happy with the game.

Some of the post match commentary is bizzare. Bookies in Australia had us at 5:1 for a win, 4:1 for a draw. Everyone expected us to get annihilated.

Credit to Fergie for getting it mostly right, and to DDG, Danny and others for some great performances.

Hopefully we can close at the tie at home.

Denis Horan repped this.
  17. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    You forgot one man team. Be that man Ronaldo, be that man Rooney, be that man Vidic (yep, I've heard it a few times!), be that man RVP... christ, in this game even be that man De Gea... we are a one man team.

And don't you forget it!

18. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Who are these people hating on United exactly?

19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes we are unfortunately for our rivals that one man has been SAF.

20. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    what an amazing performance. i hoped for it but didnt expect it. we can still come unstuck but there is great reasons for positivity. pity rvp didnt give us a win at the sb, maybe next year. we were long long long odds to win and so nearly managed it. they have spent and spent in recent years, i cant even guess what they have spent over the last 6 years, in ronaldo, kaka, di maria, ramos, higuain, pepe, benzema, ozil, khedira, the diarras, alonso, marcelo, sneider, vdv, coentrao, modric, sahin, altintop, adebayor, carvalo, leon, albiol, ruud, huntelaar, garay, hienze, robben and about a hundred others, but i bet its well over half a billions pounds. if ronaldo had still been on our side it could have been a cricket scoreline, we would certainly be in the next round by now. we have them in their 3rd away game out of the next 4 games, having travelled to coruna in the north and barcelona and then on to machester, hopfully battered, bruised, demoralised and knackered, where they will hopefully be greeted by a pack of braying wolves thirsty for blood.

Denis Horan and Invincible repped this.