Circle of Honor 2014 Nominees released

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by eboe, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I didn't mean the idea of the HOF was ridiculous, I was referring more to the methods they use to vote players in.

2. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd like them to do it every 5 years instead of every year.

Draghignazzo, kgilbert78 and cam5fc repped this.
  3. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Lord, I hope we're not diluting this by awarding it every year.

4. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I guess players like Stern John and Brad Friedel - players who in their brief Crew careers made Best XI teams and won other awards - will simply have to go into the Bank Account of Honor: Players who are probably among the organization's all-time Best XI (or at least all-time gameday-18) and were good enough to be sold but not long enough servants to be in the Circle of Honor.

Draghignazzo, Lucky Day and KCbus repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe Brad Friedel is even in this conversation. The guy played 38 matches for us. THAT'S ALL. And what did those teams do? Not much.

Draghignazzo and Lucky Day repped this.
  6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The baseball HOF is a joke now because of the writers. They talk about the integrity of the game to keep the sterorid players out but leave a player like Dale Murphy who did everything right off their ballet every year because he didn't hit 1 more hr. ******** the baseball HOF.

7. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Brad Friedel is a legendary soccer player who played for The Crew, albeit a relatively small number of games.
    Mike Clark is a mediocre player who played many games for the Crew.

You can make arguements for either one, surely. However, I dont understand how you can be incredulous about one of those, and so adamant about the other?

I came in at the end of Clark, and was not overly impressed. Many of my friends absolutely abhor him.

8. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Fitzgerald NOT on the list?

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they abhor him. That makes no sense. But what a lot of us are going on is the the reputation Clark had amoung the folks he played with. Ask 'em. The ones that went into coaching used to use him as the *definition* of a Crew player. The others felt the same. He was always the first guy mentioned. That's why. Now is he as good as the players in the current league? No. But he was a pioneer. He's one of the reasons the current guys have a league and jobs in the US in this day and age. And he was one of the most solid defenders of his day. Oh, yeah, and he was selected to two All Star games.

hardhead repped this.
  10. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Mike Clark was not the greatest player we've ever had, but calling him mediocre is just plain stupid.

11. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009

Considering each every person this board has been called stupid for an having an opinion another person did not agree with, I assume you accept the fact then that you are indeed stupid as well, so welcome to the club!

In my opinion, Clark was mediocre. In other peoples opinion, Clark was bad. In some people's mind, Clark was the greatest thing that happen to MLS. He is the trailblazer for Tony Tchani's of the world.

Mr Gilbert, you skipped right past the point....Brad Freidel was just as accomplished even with the short time with The Crew (MLS Best XI and MLS Goalkeeper of the year) before he went on to even more acclaim Internationally, but that is not even worthy of "being in the conversation"?

There are lots of players who are good guys, who are solid players..who were around at the beginning of the league that made it possible for others, who were all stars at a time where the total talent in the league was considered by many less than what it is today).

Doesn't resonate "Ring of Honor" to me..

12. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Thanks!

I don't really care about you having the opinion, maybe it would be better to say I find that opinion crazy.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #88 KCbus, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Well your friends aren't that bright. In addition to what Ken has already said, Mike Clark was the best defender on the club for most of his eight seasons here. He was good positionally, tackled strong and was a leader. And he was durable -- he averaged 27+ appearances at a time when the MLS season was 30 matches (mostly).

Duncan Oughton gets mentioned all the time because of his devotion and connection to the club -- despite not being technically great. Clarkie had BOTH.

As for Friedel -- come on. This is the Crew Circle of Honor. Not the Circle of Honor for Guys Who Had Really Good Careers Elsewhere Who Happened to Play a Handful of Games in our Colors. I mean, John Harkes was a national teamer, had a good career in England, won two MLS Cups, two Open Cups, and two Shields. I think he had 29 appearances for us. Why don't we put him in too?

Draghignazzo, kgilbert78 and Lucky Day repped this.
  14. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Can we just go ahead and start the thread and get these nomination discussions going now?

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This is one of the most obnoxious, sophomoric, TFC things I have ever read on the Crew boards. Clark never was a world beater and no one confused him with Roberto Carlos. He took a meager salary for a pro soccer player and gave eight great years to this team. When people look at the early years of MLS, Clark was the epitome of what Columbus Crew meant. I know he was not the greatest defender to ever play but he was intense, hard working, a step above the competition at the time and most importantly, he was ours. Few have dedicated themselves to the club the way Clark did and he was a class act the entire way. A trailblazer for Tchani? Learn some respect before you make an ass out of yourself again.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name one. Please. As far as Friedel is concerned, @KCbus has spoken far more eloqently than I could.

And BTW, if you are going to make an appeal to authority, though often a logical fallacy, it might be nice for the authorities you are appealing to actually *have* some authority. Or to actually exist.

17. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I would say RW but I think we should wait a year or two. So for me it would be Frankie.

18. SecretWalrus

SecretWalrus Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. SecretWalrus

SecretWalrus Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember one of those was a breathtaking team goal with about 4 one-touch passes with Gavin and Lenhart - possibly the nicest goal I've seen live. Sadly I can't find it on youtube...

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clark fanboys coming out of the woodwork.

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will admit to that (not that anyone who knows me didn't already know that). But I knew him too, back in the day (when you really could get to know players before they went all NFL on us). One of my favorite shirts in my game-worn collection is his All Star Game jersey....

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a game-worn Clark jersey in my closet as well.

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well his fan club probably is a bit more popular than the one Geeg and me still have going for Ross Paule.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And my wife has one of his shirts..... Miss the guy. He was a class act. First time I met Ross I actually said somthing like "it's great to have you on the Crew because you were always a pain in the *ss to play against". He laughed. I've always been thankful that what happened to him did *not* happen to Chad.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Not me. Clark was durable but he's a compiler type player, ie someone whose career stats look reasonably good because he played a long time. At his best, he made a couple of all star games but defenses generally weren't that good in those days and Clark was certainly not as good a player as Lapper, Dooley, or Fraser. He's better than Chad McCarty if praise is required.

To me, he's just a fan favorite type, not as good as Hejduk but probably better than Oughton.