Chromecast: streaming footy to TV

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by socceraction, Dec 16, 2013.

1. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Picked up the Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player this weekend and just wanted to share my experience as it is a wonderful little device for football fans. There has been discussions here about streaming, especially about espn3, NBC, beINSport, etc. The simplest way to watch streams on your TV is to hook up a HDMI cable directly from your desktop/laptop to the TV. But in most cases, it may require a long cable or may not be possible at all. Enter Chromcast...

In the simplest of terms, its "wireless HDMI". What do you need? A TV with a HDMI input; a power plug; wireless network. With the device plugged into your TV, open your Chrome browser to the Chromecast setup page and it finds the device and downloads the software to your computer. Now when you are browsing the net in Chrome, you will see an additional button on the screen to "Chromecast" whatever you are watching. Go to the beinsportplay.tv, hit the on-screen button and bang! - the screen appears on your TV (with audio, of course as HDMI carries both). espn3 requires you to copy/paste the url of the pop-up screen but it works flawlessly. Anything you can watch on your laptop or other devices (works with tablets, phones, etc. - anything that works on your wireless network) you can now watch on your TV without any cables.

The device itself is under $40. You just can't beat that. I bought mine at BestBuy. Amazon has it as well. Aside from soccer, its made for those that watch Netflix, Hulu and other services. It couldn't be simpler to use, its inexpensive, and most importantly, brings the streaming-only games to the big screen without any cables or hassles. Just wanted to share...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

PS. Here is the link to Chromecast at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Google-Chrome...TF8&qid=1387240526&sr=8-1&keywords=chromecast

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

How is the smoothness of the video? The initial reviews I read in the fall said the video was choppier than say, using Airplay between Apple devices.
  3. socceraction

socceraction Member+

I found espn3 to be very very good with little choppiness. beINSport was not as good. I didn't get to try NBC Extra Time but expect it to be on par with espn3.

Granted, I was browsing in other windows and overall pushing my laptop. I will reboot, clean out the cache and run all the services this coming weekend to truly test it. I can tell you that running a movie file via Chrome (just drag the file to an open tab in Chrome) gave me a perfect picture. Soccer, of course, has a lot more motion and will never work as well as a movie file.

SA
  4. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

I would not expect NBC Extra Time to be on par with espn3. Whenever I have used Extra Time or the NBC Sports app it has been dramatically worse than ESPN's counterpart with much more buffering and stream dropping. That is one of the reasons that I have held off on buying the chromecast.

5. daniloni

daniloni Member

Club:
    Atlanta
    United States
    NBC Live Extra, ESPN, foxsoccer2go and beinsportplay.tv are "enabled" for iOS airplay, but not (yet?) for chromecast. Chromecast will mirror what is in chrome (similar to airplay mirroring in iOS or on the mac) whereas when an app is airplay enabled, the iOS device merely acts as a remote control and the stream goes directly to the Apple TV. This is why, for now, the quality of the streams on the Apple TV is vastly superior. (This is why a stream looks much better airplayed from an airplay enabled app than airplay mirrored from a mac.) Once (if?) these apps become chromecast enabled, I expect the quality of the video on chromecast to improve immensely. Chromecast has the advantage over Apple TV of a much lower price, and that you can just plug it into the hdmi and usb ports of the TV which is good if you have a wall mounted TV. But as far as utility and quality for a football viewer right now, there is no comparison. Apple TV is much, much better.
    Totoro and socceraction repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

I don't know if I should have started a new thread...I'm wondering about people's experiences with various cheap set top boxes for streaming soccer. E.g., Roku, AppleTV, Google TV.

In particular, anyone use the Fox Soccer 2 Go app on a Google TV set top device, like one of the Netgear NeoTV's?

I love the Roku. I've used it with Netflix (so, not soccer), MLS Live, and now WatchESPN. Huge huge difference for me compared to streaming these services via a PC. Maybe I have crappy PC's, but for a $50-99 device, it's just too easy to use the Roku.

However, after learning there are Google TV set top devices like the Netgear NeoTV, and that there is not just the WatchESPN app for it, but apprarently also a Fox Soccer 2 Go app, now I'm wondering if it's comparable to a Roku.