Chris Lewis on Player Development

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Hararea, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Lewis's sport is tennis, but his article could just as easily be about player development in soccer. I think it's one of the most articulate and thought-provoking pieces on the subject I've ever read. A couple of paragraphs are pasted below, but the whole thing is worth a read.

http://www.tennisconsult.com/develop-american-tennis-stars/

---
    Lewis:
    I’d like to address this issue at its most fundamental level; namely, the framework upon which national development systems are built. Let’s examine the typical national model. The hallmarks of all such bureaucracies include: a top-down approach, centralization and conformity. A person (or committee) at the top determines how things are going to be done, and then everybody in the organization must conform to his decisions. Inevitably, the director of the national coaching program determines that young tennis players nation-wide must develop a certain style of playing, a blueprint is drawn up, and, in fear of losing their jobs, all of the coaches within the organization “agree” that players should play the way the director wants.

Aside from the fact that recruitment of the most talented young players in the country invariably involves severing an existing and successful coach/player relationship, this regimented approach neglects to consider that every player is an individual with particular physical and mental attributes and a unique personality. When you attempt to coach identical strokes to all the top tennis talent in a country, you deprive those players of the opportunity to learn to counteract a variety of styles. In the main, players are practicing with and competing against mirror-images of themselves — never learning to deal with the unfamiliar. By adopting uniformity, you preclude the possibility of an exceptionally talented youngster developing his or her own style, based on his or her own unique physical attributes and tendencies, and in harmony with his or her own unique personality.