News: Chivas USA in discussions on potential move from HDC

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by ϟkull, Jul 7, 2011.

1. cangri1102

cangri1102 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    110% correct

2. cangri1102

cangri1102 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    MOD REMOVED QUOTED TEXT

LOL Im not saying it as a Galaxy Fan... But what I know it will be pomona. Chivas would have to renovate the stadium in Fairplex grounds. Its a good thing actually because the investment would be less than building a stadium from scratch.

3. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Pomona would be cool.

brb taking buss to Pomona drunk and high as a kite and not worrying about da police. Nam saying? (not srs)

Fairplex area could use some bars and restaurants. It's so baron around the Fairplex.

4. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They have ONE restaurant/sports bar on the grounds. I assume they would allow tailgating and build a few as well. Theres a GREAT lil chicken shack just down the street on Garey

5. LArocks1968

LArocks1968 Member

May 20, 2007
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Sorry, I think it was wine night when I wrote this message. I was just making a point that fans of the other MLS teams seem to not apply the same arguments of rebranding and relocation when it comes to Chivas USA and other MLS who are in the same boat when it comes to attendance. I think there are Chivas haters out there who refuses to listen to any pro Chivas arguements. My question about the name, what is the main reason for having USA in the name? Just to distinguish the US team from GDL?

6. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Now it makes a little more sense.

Well, IMO, I believe it is to distinguish us from the Guadalajara team, but also to appeal to not only the fans of the Mexican League, but to anyone in this country who loves the game. As I have said earlier in this thread, Chivas USA is national, therefore, it can appeal to anybody in this nation who likes soccer. Just my 2 cents.

7. BionicChivasUSA

BionicChivasUSA New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Baldwin Park, Ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does anyone still think we might move to Pomona??;)
    Cause I do!

8. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know any thing about where they're looking, but I think this would be a great move. It's the best of both worlds. It's still in L.A, but far enough from Carson that they'd be out from the shadow of the Galaxy, they wouldn't be fighting them for the same crowd as much. It's more centralized, so they can draw people in from the I.E. and O.C. I personally would love this move, as I'd be able to (hopefully) make it to more games as it's much closer to me than Carson.

9. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what this Pomona thing is all about, I'm sure it has something to do with Galaxy fans taking that survey over and over again picking pomona. I've been to Pomona and to be honest there's nothing impressive about it other this the fair grounds and that's it, it may be in the L.A. county area but lets be real here Pomona is more of a town then a city that's for damn sure.

So I say no to that move it just stinks of a Galaxy/AEG/MLS setup. If it does go to Pomona(you guys seem to be high strung on Chivas USA going there) then it will be out of my way since I live in South L.A. and commuting to one or two home games a week would be a bitch for me, sorry I don't speak for everyone here I'm just stating how I feel about this setup.

10. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly certain it's simply a result of the F.O. telling the fans, "hey, we're looking at sites" and then saying nothing else. People's imaginations have run wild a little bit because no one knows anything else. Could it be Pomona? Sure. Could it somewhere else? Sure. Even if the are genuinely looking into Pomona who's to say it will work out?

I don't think Pomona as a site is really about the size of the town/city itself, more that it's a central location (and thanks to the fair, a lot of people know where it is and how to get there) still inside L.A. county, which the F.O. has stated that they're not looking outside of at the moment.

And CT, as far as not liking the idea of Pomona because it's too far for you, that's going to be a problem for some of the fans no matter where they move (can't make an omelette, right?) I happen to be in the camp of Pomona not being a bad location because I'd only have to drive something like an hour and a half or so as opposed to two and a half to three.

11. Truhero

Truhero Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Section 101
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually this has nothing to do with Galaxy fans or AEG! Cue has been in talks with Pomona for over a year now. I got to talk to the Mayor of Pomona for a bit during last years Pomona Christmas Parade which Chivas USA were the grand marshalls and he was anxious to get back to talks with Chivas USA ownership. I live in Hacienda Heights and going to games in Carson is a travel for me but I am yet to miss one. No matter where they go it will not be convenient for everyone but those that are dedicated will make their way to the stadium. It would not be impressive until something is actually built there.

12. echo-2

echo-2 Member

LAFC
    Mexico
    Nov 4, 2007
    San Pedro, CA.
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pomona sucks! Yes it's LA county but so is Sylmar. It is my opinion that our stadium needs to be closer to down town not further away. I feel that moving it out to Pomona will further alienate CUSA. Just because there is a hand full of Chivas fans that live near by the fair grounds doesn't make it a wise choice. I am hoping that one day Chivas becomes a well know sports team in LA like the Dodgers, Lakers, Kings, Clippers etc....

Just like the NFL. Does it make more sence to put a NFL stadium in down town LA or West Covina? With all the things to do and heavy traffic in down town LA it would give the team more exposure.

Pomona only makes sense if we are trying to build a stadium the cheapest way possible. If that's the case then I rather it go up in the city of Bell.

13. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell yeah!!! That's just down the street for me.

But in all seriousness, Los Angeles the City makes a lot more sense (and cents) than some random location in Los Angeles County. If indeed the Exposition site is the one being discussed, then it would be the best as parking facilities are already in place that should be able to handle crowds of 20,000 (+ or -). Not to mention the new Expo line that will have a station there at the end of the year.

My only concern would be the day Chivas USA and USC Football scheduled stuff on the same day. Though I'm sure that the powers that be would work hard to avoid such a potential conflict.

14. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im really just happy to be moving out of the HDC.
    I prefer LA, too. I think Pomona might make more $ense.
    Either way, we need a quality stadium like Kansas City or this team will be back in the same situation with a different landlord.

15. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no stadium will be perfect for everyone. CUE needs to do what best for the team. Chivas is getting raped by AEG at HDC. I already drive 38 miles one way to get to HDC anywhere will be closer I am sure. I WILL FOLLOW

16. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    Greetings fellow californios. Looks like the LA city council wants to build an NFL Stadium after all. Just curious about your thoughts. What will this do to ChivasUS and the Galaxy? Any effect you guys think?

17. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL stadium won't be in action until 2016. The only thing I see out of this is AEG not paying rent to host friendlies for the gals at the Coliseum or Rose bowl.

18. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    Wow i didn't know it was so far off. But i guess I was thinking in terms of attendance. I'm going to say the Galaxy and Chivas will take a hit from the NFL.

And since this thread is about Chivas USA moving from the HDC....well they ARE saying the Chargers are the most likely candidate to come to L.A. That leaves San Diego with the Padres. Qualcomm goes empty, wouldn't think that Chivas would mind sitting in Qualcomm until a cheaper soccer specific stadium is built.

19. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    I hear Qualcomm stadium in San Diego is going to be empty in a few years...

20. cangri1102

cangri1102 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Chivas USA had 3 possible sites. 2 out of those 3 were outside of Los Angeles, Santa Ana and Pomona. Carson is still part of Los Angeles and Chivas has had problems filling up the seats. Expo Park a few Miles away would not do a big difference and they have studied that. City of LA is pricey Chivas Mr. Cue and Ivenstor Vergara want something Reasonable. Pomona has beaten Santa Ana with tax offers for now and it is the front runner. Its not about just placing a stadium were you guys want. It has many factors Land and tax being most important. Chivas Knows being too Close to the Galaxy will not benefit them and they are looking for a brand new Market. Remember Im not saying this as a Galaxy fan but as someone who knows about the development.

21. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Officials: Chivas USA Not Moving to Santa Ana
    http://voiceofoc.org/oc_central/article_7f2008c6-c35a-11e0-9333-001cc4c002e0.html

Vasquez and the association's spokesman, Alex Vega, say that most likely Chivas has used moving to Santa Ana as a ploy to get better terms on a lease at the team's current home, the Home Depot Center in Carson."It's dead, it's over. They're not coming here," Vega said. Added Vasquez: "I think they're [Chivas USA] probably just using us."

22. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what concerns me, what if all this stadium talk is just smokescreen to get AEG to lower the rent on the HDC? I really hope that they are genuinely looking for a stadium site, and not using all this to get a better deal at the HDC.

23. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are definately looking to get their own stadium. Drawing have been don bids have been sent out and the process is moving along.
    IMO Santa Ana is just butthurt and are striking back. It was down to 2 location neither of which was Santa Ana so it really is a moot point.

24. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I'm a natural alarmist, I saw that and starting worrying. I just want Chivas to get something done. If they end up in Pomona I'll be very happy as I live much closer to Pomona than Carson if they go somewhere closer to Central L.A. county I'll still be happy they're out of the HDC.

25. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    Farmers field