News: Chivas USA in discussions on potential move from HDC

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by ϟkull, Jul 7, 2011.

1. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, big man. Stay classy. You are obviously in the know. Obviously.

sikolec repped this.
  2. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    smh. The fact of the matter is this, any movement whether big or small begins with the smallest denomination, which in this case is the fans. Lack of local support in turn leads to a lack of civic support which results in lack of adminstrative effort. On the administrative front we have Antonio Cue who, based on his twitter feed, http://twitter.com/antoniocue is more preoccupied with inviting up his homies for breakfast. When you own a sports team in the second largest media market in the US, one of two things will happen; you'll focus your efforts on making it a successful franchise a la AEG, Jerry Buss, and Peter O'Malley, or you'll call it a day and settle for mediocrity since owning a LA franchise is good enough as it is a la Donald Sterling, and Frank McCourt... Antonio Cue is Donald Sterling, and the simple fact that the Clippers have always been the laughing stock of the NBA can only be attributed, not to Donald Sterling's incompetence, but to Clipper fan's indifference towards the steaming pile of mediocrity they've been presented with decade after decade. Though it seems it only takes a drastic decline season ticket sales, pressure from a vocal bunch in Anaheim, and the threat of the Sacramento Kings moving south to your backyard to get an LA franchise owner's head out his ass and get Chris Paul. The point I'm trying to make is that if you want anything to happen with Chivas in this city it all starts with you, the fan and the indifference that you've shown towards this stadium matter tells me you'll settle for a bucket of moose piss. Seriously someone actually suggested they'd settle for playing at a community college stadium. The standards you Chivas fans would settle for, seriously. And meanwhile Antonio Cue sits there in his single story office building in Carson looking at all of you gladly accepting his product and being fine with it. I'm not telling you to march down to Carson with pitchforks and torches but do something, like write letters to the front office, call your local city leaders whether you're in the IE, OC, or LA and tell them you want something done. As corny as that may sound we've seen that even a small vocal group can grow and influence those who make decisions. That's how Chester got the Union, after all. Anyway nuff ranting...

3. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    Tell them you want this!:D
    [​IMG]

Unak78 and EastLAChiva repped this.
  4. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    great design loko !
    i love it can you e-mail me that?
    ima meet with Toño C. soon i would love to show hem this
    jose.m.salcedo@hotmail.com
    i would really appreciate it ..

jathan repped this.
  5. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    Wassup with Toñito? You really meeting with him? Can I come? lol I'm a graphic designer and I've been messing around with that Chivas USA redesign for a while now. And you're not even gonna ask why I made the changes I made to the crest? Not cool vato. Nah pues I'm also messing around with a new Revs and Earthquakes logo, but as for the LA Chivas one I have the clean high res version and a black and white one the Black Army would love. I just added the flare effects on it and lowered the resolution to keep it from being stolen but lemme know wassup.

6. JediK

JediK Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bear is awesome. The perched eagle and the lion are too historic (for lack of a better word, can't think at the moment) on the Mexican Chivas brand. "But our roots...," blah. I say to hell with it. Two bears and something in the middle representing LA would be better.

On my ghetto design I took it off completely and just put the LA Skyline. Much easier. lol (heres the low res. black and white only cause its made it this way for one of our scarves)[​IMG]

scarf
    [​IMG]

Your design would make a much better logo, though. Perhaps would also suggest leaving Chivas out of the official name, and just keeping it as a nickname. Then again, it is your design.

7. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    Well I added the perched eagle and kept the other lion because they're actually also part of the LA seal and so I just thought they'd be good fits for the new logo being that the purpose of the redesign and rebranding was to make the team more LA centric. The bear is just the Cali bear mimicking the lion's pose.
    [​IMG]

I went for a more fitting font with Bodega Sans and gave the soldier a more prominent visor. I also scrapped the funny looking flag over the helmet and went for a more symbolic flame-like form that alludes to the Olympic cauldron over the LA Coliseum.

8. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    [​IMG]

As for the Chivas name, I like it. It makes us more in line with traditional North American sports teams and less Euro-like. I'm sorry but names like FC, Sporting, and Real are just stupid. I just think those names lack authenticity here and are pretty lame... but anyway I added the SC at the end for different reasons. SC here is used as an empty acronym that anyone can interpret however they want. SC can be Soccer Club or Sports Club, alluding to the previous Club Deportivo Chivas USA name but it can also stand for Southern California, which again makes it clear that this is an LA centric team. I also didn't want to deviate too much from the recognizable Chivas logo since we are still part of the Chivas fam and partly owned by Jorge Vergara. Anyway I just wanted this new crest to have a sense of meaning behind it.

9. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    so they moving to phoenix?

10. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news. Keep the name where ever you going..

11. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    I love that logo and personally love the eagle per he'd with the snake in its beak
    Love it and the name

12. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outstanding. I'm emailing it to Antonio Cue.

13. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a similar idea in my head but certainly not as cool. The only difference was implementing a palm tree to give it a SoCal brand. Otherwise, it is very smart to take from the City of LA Seal.

14. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    In addition maybe the red "x"s can be replaced by white stars that also would be taken from the LA seal. I absolutely love it. I'm even liking the SC thing. Although I don't agree with implementing an English only marketing attempt. We've been speaking Spanish on this side of the country much longer than we have been speaking English . It's part of our history and pride. It's still the only thing making us distinct from all the other boring MLS teams (which are all improving their products significantly)

15. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    E-mail response from Antonio Cue:
    John thank you for the suggestion I will give it to Fransisco Suinaga our head of Marketing and Jose Domene to look at it.
    All the best,
    Antonio

Lets Win Tomorrow!!!!!!

sikolec repped this.
  16. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yes i will be meeting with hem brother,
    and i really love the design
    not sure if you can come this time but you never know i will ask
    fransisco suinaga would also be there i love the idea of the changes you made its perfect
    aver que me disen
    I have a good relation with Antonio since 05 and he wont bs me , if there’s any chances of modifying the logo he will tell me
    All post anything as soon as I get some feed back

17. JediK

JediK Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhhh. Ok. Now that you've explained the elements I like it more than before. (including the name lol)

Why can't we have MLS folk think up stuff like this...

18. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Really like the design. Dat bear.

19. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    BW version Black Army might enjoy and a clean colored version. Both still low res but something I thought you'd like to see. I really appreciate you're comments and suggestions guys.
    That's some great stuff. Can I ask how you know him? I'm pretty new to the forum so I'm not familiar with anyone here. I understand there are a few support group members around as well. Great folks to interact with all-around.
    SC can also stand for Sur de California ;)
    Dat bear is probably gonna get messed with a lil more

sikolec repped this.
  20. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am all for taking CHIVAS out of their name even if they are under the same ownership. There is only 1 Chivas, GUADALAJARA, the one in LA is another club that should have another name.

21. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    usually people make some pretty bad redesigns for current crests, but your LA Chivas one is really good. how far along is the earthquakes one?

22. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another crazy thought. If AEG is big on the LAG going to play at Farmers Field (I really hope not- another too large NFL stadium), then Chivas could just stay at the HDC. Doesn't Chivas have a pretty good network of youth teams all over? If so, they all could play at the various fields at HDC.
    So maybe instead of getting away from LAG at HDC, the LAG may do Chivas a favor and move them selves out. That would be crazy.
    -
    Truth of the matter, Chivas would do better in downtown LA than LAG, if they could only find the right location. I have also felt a spot just north of Union Station where all those empty parking lots that store buses and police cars, the recycling center and that small steel plant are currently. The fans could walk the block or two from Union Station and its ever growing subway, light rail, bus lines. And being near Olivera street and Chinatown add to the mix.
    -A rebrand team in a stadium near near could be a winner with new ownership in the mix or just even a new commitment.

23. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations, canammj!! You have finally caught on to what the overwhelming majority have concluded. Downtown is our best option. Hell, even USC wants us there.

24. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    Farmers Field isn't going to get built either way. AEG's entire plan getting done relies upon a team coming here. The only problem is that no team is willing to come here under AEG's terms. AEG wants to buy a share of a team at discount price, (that would devalue shares of other teams) own and operate the new stadium and lease it back to the team. (meaning there would be two separate stadium and team ownership entities, something that doesn't exist in the NFL) The bottom line with any deal involving the NFL is that nothing gets done unless the league mostly, if not entirely, benefits from said deal. The devaluation of team shares alone is enough to kill the deal. As for Chivas staying at HDC if Farmers Field is built, that simply doesn't make any sense since they would still be leasing at HDC so they still wouldn't be able to take the same chunk of revenue over concessions and ticket sales the Galaxy does, which is the reason they want to move out in the first place. I agree that moving downtown would really be good for Chivas though but the spot at Exposition Park is just way better than anything else.

Still fooling around with it though I'll probably be finished - well not finished with but satisfied enough with it that I'll show it to you guys - with the Revs logo before the Earthquakes.

So? Red Bull has other teams called the Red Bull in Brazil, Austria, and Germany... and there IS only 1 Chivas and that's Chivas Regal scotch whisky.

Unak78 repped this.
  25. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? Bad argument you have there. One is a storied and respected club from Mexico that you are comparing to an energy drink that slaps its label on anything representing them. The Chivas brand should stay in Mexico, the team they have in LA at the moment should have a new identity, one that everyone in California can relate to.