News: Chivas USA in discussions on potential move from HDC

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by ϟkull, Jul 7, 2011.

1. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Fast forward to the 21st century: No more track, field is now 70 yards wide and the Colisuem has hosted MANY international games.

Coliseum has issues, no doubt... but field size is NOT one of them.

2. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Can anyone confirm -- that means referencing a known fact and not just suggesting a great idea -- is USC trying to take control of the entire Coliseum / Exposition Park complex (in other words, the whole enchilada) or only the Coliseum football stadium?

3. hugo90301

hugo90301 Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Lawndale, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    USC will be taking over all of expo park area excluding the science center and other museum(s). As I understand it the corrupt and inept Coliseum Commission and USC are in the final stages of negotiation for USC to take over for free with the promise of maintaining the area and making some much needed updates to the stadium.

I believe they are hammering out how the Museums will continue to exist (they get lots of their budget from parking but USC would take over the lots as well).

4. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Thanks for the info, Hugo... it will be very interesting to see if this deal gets done... and if it does, will USC focus solely on Coliseum renovation$ for the immediate term... or will they see potential longer-term benefit$ by getting in bed with CHIVAS USA.

5. hovz1105

hovz1105 Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Westside
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Was at the Coliseum today for the Spring Game. I feel like a dwarf in that place. I would predict that the attendance was around 14,ooo. Absolutely feels empty, but having your own place is still great.

Hope things don't fall through.

F Santa Ana.

6. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure when or how we get our downtown stadium, but USC holds all the power now. There is no doubt about that.

"USC would put $70 million into stadium upgrades under the deal, and take control of the Coliseum's revenue. The university would also assume the $1-million annual rent payment to the state, which owns the land under the stadium and the companion Sports Arena. A state report in 2005 valued the complex at $240 million to $400 million."
    Link:
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-coliseum-20120515,0,3529613.story

11. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Meet the old boss same as the new boss.

Vergara doesn't have any money.

I think you guys should try to work out some kindof partnership with Xolos de Tijuana and really explore the possibility of moving away from Home Depot, hell a move to San Diego would seem positive. More grassroots. Visit local businesses, local leagues, local high school, cc and university teams.

12. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot at play many of which is not public knowledge. A move to San Diego would be a waste. Please read the previous threads. Xolos do not need Chivas USA to be successful. They just need to keep poaching our youth players.

Vergara is a joke. Deadbeat dad, more like it.

Going Mobile repped this.
  13. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Who said anything about making them successful?

The poaching youth players is pretty rich since it happens across the board in youth soccer here. At the end of the day players go where they feel most comfortable, greater opportunities available.

I'm not sure what I would gain from re-reading possible moves to Pomona/Santa Ana/etc but I'll take the not so subtle hint.

14. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the FO has already stated that we are not moving to San Diego or any other place they made that perfectly clear. Our FO wants to stay within the L.A. area, so the Sports Arena site looks like a possibility but with U.S.C in full control of the Coliseum now our FO is going to have there hands full negotiating with them.:unsure:

I only hope that they find a way to get a new stadium going soon, also if things don't work out with playing at the Coliseum we could always play at E.L.A.C.;)

Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.
  15. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant no offense. I plan to have either Cue or Domene on my podcast in the next few weeks to ask them questions like this.
    check us out:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/what-the-flock/id523422155

twitter:
    @whattheflockpod

16. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one big advantage of staying at HDC is the CLUB SEATS and luxury boxes. AEG sells those and Chivas get part of the revenue regardless of whether people show up and sit in their seats or not. I have no idea how much that is but it is guaranteed money. Its hard to walk away from guaranteed money

17. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    ... and the Coliseum currently has neither... which is guaranteed NO MONEY... what IS guaranteed money, however, are international exhibition games (a.k.a Fund Raisers) sold as "doubleheaders" with MLS games... and you can bet your bottom dollar that CHIVAS USA will schedule several of them next year if the Coliseum move happens (can you imagine CHIVAS USA vs. MONTREAL immediately before CD CHIVAS vs. AMERICA, SANTOS, MONTERREY... or for that matter vs. BARCELONA or MADRID)?

sikolec repped this.
  18. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Are we tentatively supposed to hear something this year about an official move? The coliseum would make our attendance look like garbage but it would be our own apartment. We need our own home. We need to hear something solid soon. "and where you go I'll follow, I'll follow"

19. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, this issue was blantantly ignore at the Town Hall meeting with Cue and Domene. I honestly can't say that for a fact.
    If by now we have not heard anything, then we should prepare to play another season at HDC.
    Sucks.

20. sikolec

sikolec Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    That would be a fantastic location.

With the rebrand, they could everybody's team from East LA to Moreno Valley.

23. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm.... Missed the Metrolink station by about a mile. Granted it's a lot closer than the Artesia Blue Line station is to the HDC. Hopefully the team will be willing to arrange a shuttle to and from the station.

25. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they didn't, there is a temporary Fairplex Metrolink Station that opens up during the L.A. County Fair. It's a short walk south to the facility.

This would be a dream move since I live only 5 minutes away from Fairplex.:D

Did anyone else notice that the project has 2 different stadiums in the mock-up? One of them appears to use the Fairplex Grandstand with temporary stands around the field while the other is clearly more permanent and placed at the center of the complex. Maybe a 2 phase move into a permanent home?

Food for thought, this company actually built Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Colorado. There may be more to this than we actually realize.

marford21, athletics68 and glyconerd repped this.