News: Chivas USA in discussions on potential move from HDC

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by ϟkull, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    still dont know how santa ana makes sense for a number of reasons (since the priority seems to be to remain LA-based). for me, santa ana remains the worst possible scenario.

but yeah - i can imagine the stands at the coliseum - here's a low-attendance picture pre-remodeling, meaning there are seats where the track is.
    [​IMG]
    could be incredibly empty. not to mention the field is much much wider and leads to a slower game.

f it though, as long as we're out of carson and its a means to an end.
    go goats.

2. Eyenigma

Eyenigma Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing you guys need to keep in mind is that the owner of the team has very close ties to Corona. Any location they go to will have to be Corona friendly. The HDC is contracted with Budweiser, as many know.

My money is on a move to Pomona. The demographic is right, the cost is low. And I could see a rebrand to CD Chivas Los Angeles. Rivalry or not, I think a healthy second team in such a strong Los Angeles market only bodes well for the league entirely.

3. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets all not forget that all the cities lost their redevelopment agencies and ability to spend that money now. We are pretty much all alone or will have some partnership with someone like USC. For this reason alone I dont see Pomona as a viable option. I far prefer Pomona as I live 10 mins away.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would the Coliseum even work short term though? The field there isn't exactly "wide" after the remodel that removed the track.

5. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Obviously USC is near Downtown, I was just speaking in terms of the probability of that happening for CUSA. I'm sure you prefer near Downtown, but I just simply prefer a stadium near public transportation, like a Metro or Metrolink station. Fortunately, each plan is an improvement from HDC in that area.

It seems to me that it would be at least 4 years of development at the Coliseum site, especially if it involves replacement of the Sports Arena.

Santa Ana's plan has the city redeveloping a stadium at SA College for Chivas. Could be done in 3 years.

Pomona's plan has them building a stadium on undeveloped land. So maybe 2-3 years.

If time is the major factor, then Pomona has the highest probability at this point.

6. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be jerk but:
    http://www.metro.net/projects/exposition/

The silver line is expanding all the way to Culver City.
    Chivas USA fans, supporters, and employees would be able to take the metro and get dropped off at Exposition Park.

7. hovz1105

hovz1105 Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Westside
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I don't see this as a big issue, I mean isn't Portland field Smaller than regulation size? At least I remember one of the commentators saying so when I was watching a Portland game on ESPN last year. Can someone correct this? ESPN isn't exactly accurate these days.

8. sikolec

sikolec Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the plans (might take awhile to load):

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/PGE-Park-Design-Commission-Set-04-06-2010.pdf

The (Portland's) field is 110x70 yards. FIFA's range for a field is 110 to 120 yards long by 70 to 80 yards wide...according to the "Laws of the Game":

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

9. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    No, the minimum is 100x50; the max, 130x100. Those measures above are solely for international matches.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS tries to abide by the international standards like most D1 leagues. No field in the league currently is below the international minimum and the league would like to keep it that way.

11. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Athletic 68 when are u going to come over to the dark side and publicly declare ur love for Chivas? C'mon u know u want to

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks. Not interested in rooting for an FMF team's red headed step brother. That said I'm always interested in MLS teams getting new stadiums (or any team for that matter). I love stadiums, particularly the process around them getting built.

13. U.S Chiva

U.S Chiva Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Salinas California/Denver, CO
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Come on man, this is a new century dont be afraid. Listen we can carpool and listen to Los tigres del norte, that way you can drive and I can drink my corona.

14. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post of the year!

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corona? Come on man have some self respect. At least drink some TJ Brewing for the love of all that is holy.

16. hovz1105

hovz1105 Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Westside
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Corona has to be the shitties beer. If I didn't know any better I would think the recipe was concocted by the people that Run and Own ChivasLite.

Great logo, shitty beer.

17. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Hov's whats ur trip broder? what do u like? corona shittiiest beer? have you tasted coor's , pretty much any other american domestic beer. Mexicans do it different. A beer with a little lime and salt. Not all of us have a sophisticated palate like u.

it seems llike you only like this team because they're not the galaxy. If the chivas name means noothing to you why do you support this team?

And yah Chivas is a Mexican brand whether you guys like it or not. Yeah we play in LA but it's still has a distinct Mexican identity. it doesn't exclude anyone. But really if you went to an Albertos Mexican resturaunt would you be suprised if they put out advertisements that said "now serving Menudo". Its the same with marky delgado. Were an MLS team with a Mexican flare. Now serving Marky Delgado. Same thing that Chicago did with their polish community. or how toronto wanted to sign de ro and julian de guzman (which is some other bull$hit. no one is ever opposed to bringing canadians on board to this league but if they were to bring anything Mexican people get all up in arms).

18. hovz1105

hovz1105 Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Westside
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Not anti-Mexican. 1st Generation Mexican-American, but I have no Mexican bias. The beer sucks and our teams name sucks. It's not as big a deal as it may come off. It had just so happened that I had one the day before. Haven't had a beer that bad since the "BEER" brand Beer I drank in High School. Didn't remember Corona tasting so bad. Perhaps I got a bad apple. My crappy palete is what says I don't like it. I will use your differing taste retort right back. Didn't think it was a big deal, but apparently dissing Corona is a line I shouldn't have crossed. hehe.

I like Mexican food. My Mexican Momma and my Mexican Dada are responsible. I like Tripas. I like Tacos de Lengua. When I was a kid I hated Menudo, but around my senior year in High School I began to see why everyone loved my Moms Menudo. And Now I love it too. not a fan of Pozole. Tamales are a work of God. My brother in Law has actually introduced me to other Mexican food. Great stuff. His mother however, Bomb ass Cook. Except when it comes to Milanesa. I love Horchata. Who doesnt?

The only "Mexican" stuff i'm not a fan of is Corona, our teams name, Pozole, that drink Jamaica, I just don't get Jamaica. Love Mexican Coke. But my sister says that "Real" mexican coke from Mexico is better. I need someone to confirm. I hate that show Lagrimita y Costel. you know, those two Gay clowns. (Not using Gay as an insult. I believe they are Gay. It's descriptive. Like someone might say "You know, those two white dudes.")

It's hard to say what I like or dislike, Mexican wise. Ask me and I can answer, but I really don't have any bias.

Look, I think the Lakers is a stupid name, but they aren't exactly hurting in the area of name recognition/identity etc.

Basically right about why I root for the team. It stems from my hatred of Donovan. Which is why I can't root for the US Mens Team. The only time I remember rooting for them was in the Beijing Olympics. But of course they had to choke against the Netherlands, but that's a whole other deal. This and they are the only other Los Angeles option without going to a lower league.

For what it's worth my spanish isn't very good anymore. Spanish was my first language, but once I went to school it took a back seat. Spanish is the only language spoken at Home, so I can survive a conversation.

that's all i got. any more questions feel free to ask.

sorry, corona :D

1 person likes this.
  19. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You have Sierra Nevada Brewery there! One of the best beers I've ever drunk...

why driking Corona? it's one of the worst... like Nastro Azzurro italian beers...

20. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Never realized that the max was 130x100. I would love to see a match played on that field.

21. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    my Vote for best post of the Year !

22. U.S Chiva

U.S Chiva Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Salinas California/Denver, CO
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Corona is a good beer maybe not the best, but one of the best outhere.

23. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Corona is what it is. a good tasting Mexican beer that is complimented by a little lime and salt. I was stationed oversees when I was in the ARMY and Corona was offered most places. It's obviously not as popular. It's a beer you want to drink ice cold on a hot day. I could never drink a thick german beer on a warm california day.

Back on topic. Corona needs to pony up to help with our stadium construction like they did for Santos laguna

24. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You do know that Grupo Modelo, the maker of Corona, owns Santos Laguna?

25. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Been there, done that.
    Let's just say that corner kicks were a colossal waste of time.