Chief Executive Douche at AIG Says "Work Till Your Dead, Suckas!"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jun 4, 2012.

1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the manufacturing jobs will be here in twenty years anyway, and the technology to repair joint pain in twenty years will far outstrip what we have today.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Two reasons why people think Social Security won't be around -

1) Merrill Lynch tells them so. The financial services companies want you to distrust Social Security and save more with them. So they are always making up shit about Social Security being a crisis.

2) The anti-gubmit types tell them so. For no other reason except that's what anti-gubmit types do.

Put #1 and #2 together, and ummm yeah it's not hard to figure out why The Wall Street Journal LOVES to write Social Security horror Op-Eds. Which then become Fox News shows and radio talk show material, and eventually leak into the mainstream media coverage.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Aren't some manufacturing jobs coming back?
    2) Is it wise to assume that past trends will continue into the future?
    3) I wasn't talking about manufacturing--the specific example I used was a service-sector job. And while it may or may not be probable that manufacturing sector is in permanent eclipse here in the USA, it's pretty safe to extrapolate from current demographic trends and determine that nursing home jobs will be in demand for quite awhile.
    4) It's swell that people who do hard, heavy lifting might be able to look forward to less pain in the future. But they're still doing hard, heavy lifting and other physically demanding tasks every. Single. Day.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Dubya says his biggest regret was not "reforming" Social Security. His loss is our gain.

The president aggressively pushed a plan in 2005 that would have allowed younger workers to invest part of their Social Security tax payment in private accounts that would make money off stocks, bonds and other investments. But his proposal never gained traction even in his own party, with Congress never bringing his plan to the floor for a vote.

The plan has haunted Republicans ever since. The financial crisis in 2008 cast a shadow of doubt over the proposal, since seniors’ savings tied to the stock market would have lost on average 40 percent of their value. Republicans campaigning across the country have sought to distance themselves from Bush’s approach. Even Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, whose budget reform plan includes private accounts, goes out of his way to say his plan shouldn’t be called privatization.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/44021.html#ixzz1wwINbyas

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I hope you are right. There are a lot of people I know with no savings so I hope they have something to fall back on in their old age.

Good for mom. My parents were always teaching us to live below our means. Sure, it sucked not having Atari 2600 growing up but it taught me a great lesson.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My friend had Donkey Kong on Colecovision, and I had this:

puttputtfc, Auriaprottu and tomwilhelm repped this.
  7. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved that game!

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A fantastic game for its time.

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been the same story for 20-30 years. FUD.

10. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seniors weren't eligible for the private accounts. Who gives a shit if they would have lost a ficticous average 40 percent of their value?

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Here in the "liberal bastion" of the Bay Area, San Jose's voters seem to agree with this guy. The Pension Reform proposition is on the way to passing overwhelmingly, with over 70 percent of the votes.

http://www.mercurynews.com/election...urns-san-jose-voters-approving-pension-reform

This is a city that voted by 70 to 28 percent for Obama over McCain. I guess when younger people and those in the private sector -no matter how liberal they are on other issues - see the older generation and government employees get the kind of pension packages that they'll never see themselves, they tend not to like it.

tomwilhelm repped this.
  12. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely true. Nobody has guaranteed pensions anymore, or overtime, or any of that crap except unionized government workers. And the rest of the nation is beginning to wise up that a cop shouldn't make 60k for 30 years when he retires at 50.

I say means test Social Security, raise the retirement age to 68, and make it illegal for public employees to unionize. My friends call me the liberal.

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on all three, just as soon as Citizen's is overturned and there is a limit to how much government the corporations can buy. As Wisconsin showed, if you're the only one spending money, your opponent doesn't stand a chance.

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really ? It wasnt' getting us involved in Iraq over some trumped-up lie about WMD ?

I guess if he had used his incredible governing skills on SS just like he did on the Iraq situation we'd be MUCH better off now :rolleyes:

KCFutbol and fatbastard repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm I'd say that San Jose voters weren't saying that public workers should be on the job until age 75. More like they don't want their public workers retiring to second homes and private gold club memberships.

Again, this is all moot. There are no jobs for these 10s of millions of oldies. This is all a peculiar form of fantasy.

16. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree entirely. There are quite a number of people on staff here at my government consulting company, in IT, that are "past due" for their retirement. Many of them had planned to retire, but can't - and so here they are, at work, sort of contributing, and making it more difficult for the next generation to advance.

In many situations the combination of the housing bubble pop and the destruction of their 401(k) has resulted in them having much less retirement money in their investments AND much less equity in their primary wealth holder. They can't sell the house at a huge profit and live off the difference.

My dad is 77, in good health, and could probably work if he wanted to. His father didn't make it to 75. I plan on being mentally and physically able to work at 70, I'm sure a lot of "office workers" are as well. Certainly an auto mechanic or day laborer isn't going to have the same luxury, but 70 in a generation or two certainly isn't going to be tottering oldsters getting lost on their way to the mailroom. A primary driver for the need for raised retirement ages is that people are living much longer than 2 or 3 years past 65, which was the original reason for the retirement age.

Oh, and there are no jobs in America for anyone old or young right now. The "job creator" class is creating plenty of jobs overseas while pocketing the wage differences.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Disagree with what? There aren't enough jobs. The older workers at your company are helping to keep young people unemployed.

The labor force is short highly trained technical workers and people who are willing to take on exhausting manual jobs for crap wages. Everybody else can suck eggs. My 57-year old neighbor? Nobody wants him.

Edit - Saw your final note, OK I guess you were disagreeing with somebody or something else.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The way the proposition was presented -by the likes of San Jose Mayor Reed- was that people are retiring too early and the city has to pay them so much in pension that they can't replace them. And they also can't afford to fix the potholes. Something like that.

Of course, for public workers in San Jose "retiring early" often means in your 50s, not your 60s. But the concept is the same. The voters want people to work longer rather than retire.

Of course, in San Jose there's more than that. What is happening though is that people often don't "retire". For example, a cop or bailiff who "retires" in his 50s with 30 years experience has no problem getting a security job in the private sector. (I would hire him over a young guy with little experience, wouldn't you?). And he gets both his public pension and the new job, while the younger guy can't get either the government job (because they are making cuts, or using free lancers to avoid the hefty pension plans) or the private sector job (because the older guy with experience has the advantage over him.)

But of course the public unions will take this issue to court, because they don't want to lose their cozy benefits that the city gave up to them in years past. I guess I wouldn't either, if I was in their shoes.

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    People, especially young people, need to learn that social security is only going to prevent you from starving to death in old age, not support a lavish "retirement." Consequently everyone needs to be saving and investing for their future ASAP. I started a Roth IRA for my kid when he was 16, the first year he earned enough money to make it worth the effort. If affluent (middle class and up) boomers pass along some of their money to their heirs, rather than pissing it all away, and the heirs save/invest that money for the future, then the future is not so dire for them if social security benefits get cut and the retirement age is raised. Seriously, nobody should be looking forward to retiring and living on social security.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That has always been the intent of the Social Security program. I suppose that many think otherwise, but they shouldn't.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I believe the retirement age for those in their 40s is already 67.

Just get rid of the idea of retirement altogether. Like the Godfathers' song "Birth, School, Work, Death", there's no retirement in there.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's important to point out that Social Security is a great program that works as intended.
    The thing is, there's a deal here. Gvt. employees get worse base pay than in the private sector, in exchange for better bennies and better security. I'll agree that gvt. pensions are somewhat too generous, especially for early retirees who can go on to live 30 or 40 more years. But the taxpayers of yesteryear benefited from the bargain. It's immoral to rewrite the deal halfway through.

Changing the bargain going forward is fair. Pay gvt. workers a comparable wage to the private sector and give them comparable bennies.

fatbastard repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The pay at government jobs is paltry, the offices are bleak, and the conferences lack Chardonnay and cracked crab.

No thanks not worth it.

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I resemble that remark.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I visit a private company, I sit at a mahogany table with brass and marble and am served piping hot Columbian java, freshly pressed. Brought in by a personal assistant. I visit a government office, it's Sears furniture and lukewarm styrofoam diner coffee, fetched by the government schmo who is meeting with me.

Then I go home and complain about those damn government workers living high on the hog on my tax dollars. :ROFLMAO: