Pre-match: Chelsea away

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by StuMCFC, Dec 10, 2011.

1. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Promises to be one of the toughest games of the season. Chelsea coming back into form at the wrong time for us, Villas-Boas seems to have abandoned the high line that Silva, Nasri, and Kun would have loved to play against. Luiz suspended may favour them more than us as he lacks discipline and leaves spaces.

Would take a draw right now but the most important thing is to avoid a loss, a draw keeps us 3pts ahead of the rags with massively superior goal difference. We're in our toughest part of the season now and are doing okay so far (draw against Liverpool, beat Bayern, beat Arsenal in Carling Cup), plus once we've left Stamford Bridge on Monday night will have played all the top teams away in the league except Arsenal, with all of them having to come to the Etihad next where we are unbeaten for nearly a year now. Worth noting that United still have to play Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, and us away.

If we win then we really are rolling, we'll still have the 5pt lead going into the Arsenal game next week. I think Chelsea will be in desperation mode to keep up though so expect a high quality performance from them, and hope we match that. We've had plenty of time for the players to rest for a change and have another five days after that before Arsenal, then the ridiculous fixture congestion peaks.

2. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping for 2-1. More likely 2-2.

No chance of a clean sheet, that's for sure.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    argghhh it's a weeknight and this comes on 11pm doha time... guess a footy fan has to do what a footy fan has to do.. this is the second late night in 3 days after El Classico...

4. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The loss had to come, an unbeaten season isn't feasible anymore in the Premier League with 5 strong home teams at the top and banana skin teams like Stoke and QPR away.

We were amazing for half an hour then lost some of our discipline just like against Bayern away.

I'm not going to rant too much about the referee except to say fook off Clattenberg on another inept performance, Silva going down was a penalty, they had it on frame-by-frame slow motion on Sky at half-time and when Gary Neville says it's a penalty to City - GARY NEVILLE - it's a penalty to City. It's not just in our games that decisions like this are changing games and if they had someone sat up in a box who could replay a decision then tell the referee, it'd take 10-15 seconds and ensure the right decision is made. It would have been 2-0 if that was correctly called.

I thought Barry was fantastic and also I thought we played like champions when down to 10 men, they didn't even test Hart until they got the penalty. Unfortunately Yaya was very erratic and not good today which has been rare and you need someone like Yaya to control games like this. Milner was also disappointing compared to usual.

We must get a result against Arsenal next week, I'm a lot more confident we can beat Arsenal at home than I was of us winning today. Our problem next week mirror's Arsenal, both of our left-backs will be out so we'll have to move Zabaleta over and hope Richards is fit again to start on the right.

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    cmon Stu you know Neville has an ongoing war with AVB :D

in fairness it looked a pen to me, although I think Silva made a meal of the contact and instead of falling over the leg, he jumped over the outstretched leg of Bos

from our point of view, Clattenberg missed a couple of yellows on your end which may have changed the outcome as well

still thought it was a generally entertaining game for both sets of fans though

6. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    refereeing decisions aside we were down to 10 men and it took a penalty to beat us. Gone to all the top clubs this season (Arsenal in the CC), plus 6 away games after the CL games and this is our first loss. If I would have been asked about being where we are now before the season i'd have been thrilled. United still have to go to WHL, Bridge, and the Emirates.

Dejong out of favor? or is Mancini just resting him so when Yaya leaves he can pull double duty.

7. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Disappointed of course, but this isn't the end of the world. A loss was inevitable. At least it happened against one of the stronger sides in the league.

8. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States