cheapest/most expensive ticket to a football match you have bought?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by hbk4894, Sep 1, 2013.

1. hbk4894

hbk4894 Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    title says it all

cheapest - would be in the Uefa Cup in 2008 - it was £1 at the Reebok for under 16s so got that a few times - vs teams like Atletico Madrid and i think Sporting Lisbon was too.

most expensive - was the £50 for the trip to Wembley in 2011 - FA Cup Semi Final vs Stoke City

(you can include other sporting events if you want to)

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #2 pookspur, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    I went to a couple of second division matches in the Czech republic a few years back - at bohemians 1905 and viktoria zizkov - and I seem to recall that one of them cost me around three euros.

on the other end, I left it too late buying my ticket for west ham at white hart lane back in '05, and ended up having to pay 60 quid - which is ludicrous - to sit in the west stand.

it's worth pointing out that a couple of winters ago, as I was getting on the train to derby, I was informed that their game against notts forest had been postponed on account of snow, so I stayed in London and wandered down to Stamford bridge, as man u was in town that afternoon. I was able to find a tout, and offered up to 125 pounds, which would've easily gotten the nod on this one - but he wanted 300! 20 minutes into the game, I was still walking around and he called me over and said I could have it for 200. er ... no thanks.

3. LFSM180

LFSM180 New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    I've just paid £46 to see Norwich play Man Utd at Old Trafford in a few weeks time in a Capital One Cup match. Ridiculous price for a League Cup game really.

4. The Fourth Lion

Oct 14, 2013
    Hampshire, England
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The first game I paid to get into out of my own pocket money, was when my older brother took me with him to see Manchester City vs Charlton Athletic at Maine Road in the old second division (now the Championship), back in the 1963/64 season. It cost one shilling to get in, which is 5 pence in today's money.

That shilling was my entire week's pocket money but it was worth it. City won, 3 - 1 or 3 - 2, I can't remember exactly.

The first time I saw City at Wembley was the 1970 League Cup Final (we beat WBA 2 - 1 in extra time), standing tickets for the final cost ten shillings (50 pence) each and my dad got them by cutting out a little application slip in the old Football League Review which used to be inserted into match programmes, and sending it off with a postal order.

When we applied for the tickets, it wasn't even certain if City would make the final because they still had to play the second leg of the semi final against the Rags at Old Trafford, but we beat 'em 4-3 on aggregate so imagine how chuffed I was when dad said the Wembley tickets had come through. Magic.

I don't even think about what it costs to go to football matches now. I just read out my card number over the phone and try to blot the price out of my head.

guignol repped this.
  5. Sam Dowdall

Sam Dowdall New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    £12.50 for Aston villa vs sunderland last season. Ended up winning 6-1 so money well spent!

6. Hans H S

Hans H S New Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Most expensive: Roughly £120 on a couple of occasions. (It`s hard getting Tottenham tickets when the waiting list for season tickets is as long as the cpacity at WHL)

cheapest: Oxford - Wycombe £10. Wycombe brought 3k (including me and my mate) to Kazzam Stadium. Electric.

7. bestvaluestore

Sep 21, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    You are asking for games within UK only or worldwide?

8. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I was a Leicester Uni student for the fall term in 2010 I could get £5 tickets to some games. Saw them play Preston and Sheffield Utd.

I think I spent around £45 at the Lane for Inter and Chelsea.

9. bestvaluestore

Sep 21, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Ok,cheapest ticket for a soccer game - free entry - in Bulgaria.I do not remember the team my favorite club here was playing against.The most expensive ticket - on Sunday I will attend Juventus - Torino and I paid around EUR 125 but worth it.Always wanted to attend live game in Juventus stadium.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    **jealous**

when I booked airfare to London in the fall of '10, I was torn between being there for Inter (which I feared, despite being a member, I might struggle to get a ticket for) and for Twente (an easier ticket and more than likely a better result). I meekly opted for the latter (which also allowed better non-spurs games) and then watched the Inter match from my local in Indiana. it was the single best performance I've ever seen from Tottenham Hotspur in all my years. i should have been there. cue intense remorse.

11. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was amazing. I knew that the following fall I'd be studying in Leicester and that there was a good high-speed line down to London, so watching the stretch run of '09/10 was amazing to see. When Crouchy's header went in, it meant not only were Spurs going to be in the Champions League, but I was going to see Spurs in the Champions League (you can imagine how tense I was during that Young Boys playoff tie!) I woke up early in the morning when PL fixtures were released and then the CL group stage draw...Inter ended up being played the day after my 21st birthday. The day they went on sale to members I actually briefly thought I wouldn't be able to be at a computer--long story. But I got it. Pretty special.

I was "only" in England from late September to mid-December, but all in all I saw Spurs six times that fall--Villa, Everton, Inter, Sunderland, then a quick trip over to Birmingham away, capped off with Chelsea at home my last week there. If you recall that match, my last glimpse of Premier League action was Gomes saving Drogba's penalty in stoppage time to preserve the draw.

It was a really special time of my life--I bought all of the program(mes) and saved as much other stuff as I could, downloading the MotD highlights for each match and etc. A dream come true that went on for two and a half months. I'd love to do it again someday over Thanksgiving or Christmas. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see them on this summer's tour as I was out of state when they came to Chicago, but seems it was a smashing success and it shouldn't be too long until they come back.

I went over to London this past June for Wimbledon--I made sure to get a tour of the Lane since I knew it'd be my last time seeing it. That is also awesome, and highly recommended.