Charlie Davies is considering offers from Ajax, Roma, Celtic, MLS, and Scandanavian clubs

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ronaldo's Idol, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    http://www.soccernewengland.com/arti...le.php?id=2240

This was posted in the US Youth National Teams forum by dncm (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417180&page=13, post 184), but now that there is a published report of offers from Europe, I think it is time to move this to the Yanks Abroad forum.

For those unfamiliar with Davies, he is a top college forward who plays for Boston College and just finished his junior season. He was injured almost all of last season.

He just missed out on the U-20 WYC roster that went to Holland. He has torn up the ACC and college soccer with 15 goals in 16 games for BC this season. Obviously he has serious game.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to the punch, Ronaldo. I was about to post the same thing :p

I've seen Charlie a few times and he is a huge talent. I really hope he sits down and makes a wise decision. Selfishly, I love to see him in the Eredivisie with Ajax or even Roma as we have yet to see anyone in the Serie A since Lalas.

BTW, I thought Bordeaux were interested? Are they not still?

3. bigjoe

bigjoe Red Card

Nov 10, 2006
    I think the article said they were 'trials' no? (or implied).

Other great news: Charlie is one of the 3 finalists for the Hermann Trophy!

What a day for Charlie! :D

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hmmm.... Ajax or Columbus? Roma or Columbus? Anywhere in the world or Columbus?

Sorry, Sigi.

5. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here and say that Davies will be one of our four strikers in '10 if he stays healthy and goes to a Euro club where he will get playing time. I think he's a better prospect than Cooper, for example, and will be more mature than Altidore in '10.

The kid is very talented, and he is a legit forward and not a tweener like so many of the other guys we've had in the past. He has the full package -- strength, speed, skill and a finisher's mentality. In the right environment, he could take off in four years' time.

If JK is the coach, it will be interesting to see how he nurtures a world class forward prospect. How on earth did Sigi bring Jacob Peterson to the last WYC instead? Well, at least, he found Feilhaber and Wynne out of nowhere.

It's a good time to be a Nats fan because the younger generations are simply getting better and better, and we haven't even scratched the surface of our potential.

With all of the great developments in MLS recently and the greater willingness of European clubs to give our young players a meaningful chance, I'm feeling pretty good. I've almost forgotten this summer already.

6. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    By the way, does anyone know what Ajax's depth at forward looks like? On the surface, it would seem like that would be his best option of the three mentioned.

Roma would be great, but getting PT there would be a serious obstacle.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx...4&lid=25&title=Roeder+in+the+Hunt+for+striker

Well, Ajax might have a open spot if Klaas Jan Huntelaar is sold in Jan. Newcastle was expressed interest as have other clubs. If the right offer comes in, he's gone. Ajax might be a good option to get your feet wet in the European game.

8. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Since I can no longer edit my original post, I should mention here that the link to the story has changed since I first posted it...now it is just:

http://www.soccernewengland.com/

9. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Why Celtic? To the best of my knowledge, he would have to get a work permit--no Euro heritage--right?

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    His dad's from Africa - I want to say Gambia but my memory is fuzzy - so he may backdoor into one via some colonialism angle.

As I said on the YNT thread about this, he needs to pick the team where he's got the best chance at getting playing time with the first team sooner rather than later.

Best of luck to the kid, I'm certainly pulling for him.

11. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    You are correct, sorry. It is a trial with Ajax, and "interest" from Celtic and AS Roma. And MLS is "keen to sign" him. Take that for what it's worth.

12. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Good point re: back door.

Wonder why Bordeaux isn't currently mentioned, since they were after him.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i like how davies is going about this... mentioning all the clubs to start a bidding war... many of our future yanks abroad could learn from this

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    cripes, this kid has a following

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    This kid has serious talent.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

I've been pencilling him into my forward lineup on those numerous '10 WC team threads along with Altidore, Donovan, and Cooper.

He reminds me of a more explosive Carlos Ruiz.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I seem to remember that the Scottish league's foreigner rules end up playing out differently--IIRC, there's a league-wide foreigner allotment, the standards for who they are aren't as rigid, and the Old Firm never have much trouble bringing in all the foreigners they want.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A club like Ajax always has a fluid situation. Right now, Huntelaar is the king of the land and even Markus Rosenberg can't get any PT there and he is valued at ~ $6M.

Move the time table to June (Ajax isn't likely to sell in Jan .. unless it's Rosenberg) and Huntelaar is probably gone to a (pick one) AC Milan, ManU or Arsenal and the competition is on again.

Roma is deep too but, last year, it was running short on strikers but Shabani Nonda was still infrequently used.

I say, if you can go to a big club, go. Fight it out with the best players (not literally) and not the Joey Franchinos of the world.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Financial security is number one.

20. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a completely biased USMNT-based point of view, I have to say that ANY talented young American who has the chance to go to Ajax should. They've got to be the gold standard in talent development. They won't look at Charlie as a "what have you done for me lately" player, but rather as an investment that will pay large dividends in a few years when they can sell him to a top club in Europe. Go for the Dutch treat, young man.

21. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davies could benefit from learning the game at Ajax, but it might be a while before he saw any pt there. They currently have Huntelaar, Rosenberg and Babel who could line up at striker. Both Rosenberg and Babel could be gone by this summer, (I personally think Huntelaar will not go for another year, although it is possible) however, and if Davies catches on, who knows?

For a variety of reasons, I'd love to see another yank follow in the footsteps of Hamel and JOB at Ajax. I'd certainly rather not see him at Roma. The club plays tremendously negatively, and I've heard that the environment there is not that conducive to the development of raw players. (I could be wrong about that last bit, though.)

22. Karras

Karras New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Salt Lake City
  23. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Would you be saying the same thing if it was .... Anywhere in the world or DC United? or RBNY? or Chivas USA?

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    correct link below:

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=00369527-8d05-4ee5-ad8a-ca631eb01a93

This minimum must be regarding the Netherlands ...

Ya, at this point, I would.

And I am not even a fan of Louis-Dreyfus's money. (though I loved Elaine on Seinfeld)