Changes for Costa Rica/Mexico?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Feb 9, 2013.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Chandler had been out of the system for months, left 50 deg Germany for 90 deg Honduras and immediately started. I think he did OK.

2. freroht

freroht Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Our Center Back situation is far worse than we want to acknowledge. Gonzales is just not the right man. The poor showing he had against Honduras was reinforced with his dismal performance in the CCL. I saw both games and honestly, the cat isn't that good. Never seen him before, maybe he is better than that, but at the very least he is not in form.

3. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't have much to do the last CCL game against Herediano, so not sure how you thought he was "dismal."

His debut in Honduras was shaky, but he'll be fine.

Berks repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a fan either

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I expect something like this, though I wouldn't be shocked to see more than 23 called up as, for example, I'm not sure if Klinsmann will have the guts to flat-out drop Carlos Bocanegra.

Guzan, S. Johnson, Hamid
    Cameron, Goodson, Gonzalez, Besler
    Chandler, Orozco Fiscal, Castillo, Morrow
    Bradley, Jones, Williams, Edu, Kljestan, Torres
    Dempsey, Zusi, Shea
    Altidore, E. Johnson, Gomez

I'm assuming Dempsey and Castillo will be healthy, but Cherundolo and Fabian Johnson will not.

6. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    imo roster should be

GK-Guzan, Rimando, Johnson
    FB-Chandler, Parkhurst, Castillo, Evans
    CB-Cameron, Gonzo, Besler, Brooks
    MF-Bradley, Jones, Edu, Williams, Gatt, DeLeon, Zusi, Shea, Kljestan, Pontius
    FW-Dempsey, Gomez, Altidore, E Johnson

Boyd, Corona, O'Brien, Feilhaber, Torres just miss the cut

It would be nice to actually have some wing options like Shea, Gatt and DeLeon, instead of a bunch of redundant CMs

7. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey and certainly, Castillo are NOT healthy or fit. Castillo is post-surgery on his facial bones.
    Dempsey turned out an unspectacular half for Hotspurs in a third loss with or without him.
    Fabian is supposedly ready for CRC.

No reason not to bring in Friedel should Guzan get hurt, and leave S. Johnson and Hamid home.
    Goodson? No better than Gonzo and Besler despite his seniority.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this, but I'd make a few changes... Also, Fabian was given the green light to play (although he did not play vs Mainz... of note, Parkhurst isn't even in the 18 for the games i've seen). And count me in with the group that thinks we should drop Bocanegra and try and get Brooks into the fold ASAP.

GOALKEEPERS:
    #1 Brad Guzan
    #2 Sean Johnson
    #3 Bill Hamid

RIGHT BACKS:
    #1 Timmy Chandler
    #2 Michael Parkhurst
    -Jonathan Spector (for cover)

LEFT BACKS:
    #1 Fabian Johnson
    #2 Edgar Castillo
    -Jonathan Spector (")

CENTER BACKS:
    #1 Geoff Cameron
    #2 Omar Gonzalez
    #3 Matt Besler
    #4 John Anthony Brooks
    -Michael Orozco (plays in Mexico, for cover/training)

HOLDING MIDFIELDERS:
    #1 Maurice Edu
    #2 Danny Williams
    -Alfredo Morales (for cover/training)

BOX-TO-BOX MIDFIELDERS:
    #1 Michael Bradley
    #2 Jermaine Jones
    #3 Graham Zusi
    #4 Sacha Kljestan
    -Jose Francisco Torres (plays in Mexico, for cover/training)
    -Joe Corona (plays in Mexico, for cover/training)

FORWARDS:
    #1 Clint Dempsey
    #2 Jozy Altidore
    #3 Herculez Gomez
    #4 Eddie Johnson
    #5 Terrence Boyd
    #6 Josh Gatt
    -Brek Shea (for cover/training)
    -DaMarcus Beasley (plays in Mexico, for cover/training)

30 Man Roster:
    GK: Guzan, Johnson, Hamid
    FB: Johnson, Chandler, Parkhurst, Castillo, Spector*
    CB: Cameron, Gonzalez, Brooks, Besler, Orozco*
    MF: Edu, Williams, Bradley, Jones, Zusi, Kljestan, Torres*, Corona*, Morales*
    FW: Dempsey, Altidore, Gomez, Johnson, Boyd, Gatt, Shea*, Beasley*

Starting XI:
    --------------Altidore-----------Gomez-------------------
    --------------------------Dempsey--------------------------
    -----------------Bradley-------------Jones------------------
    Johnson-------------------Edu----------------------Chandler
    ----------------Gonzalez-----------Cameron----------------
    -----------------------------Guzan----------------------------

Bench: Johnson, Parkhurst, Besler, Williams, Zusi, Gatt, Johnson

deuteronomy and Mr Martin repped this.
  9. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl suggested that Boca isn't going to get the call. Assuming that's true, we may be in for a surprise at CB. Given his situation with Germany, it doesn't look like it'll be Brooks, though that would certainly be interesting.

I'm guessing Gonzales and Cameron will be backed up by Goodson and Besler. Edu provides additional cover in case there's emergency. The next guy in the order is likely to be Orozco as you have above. It would be unfortunate if we needed him on the field.

10. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Goodson is terrible, if Brooks cant make it I'd rather see Okugo

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A total newbie like Okugo has less than a 1% chance of a callup for these March qualifiers. Maybe up to 50% chance for the Gold Cup, if he keeps playing well in MLS.

Brooks is wishful thinking, too. Firstly, he's a newbie and that severely drops his chances. On the other hand, he's a German-American, so that increases his chances. But I think the key aspect at this moment is that Brooks will not want to lock himself in with the US right now. He wants more time to see if the US or Germany are the best choice, so he will avoid a Cap-locking World Cup Qualifier like the plague. 1% chance in March.

One veteran CB will surely be there this month, and Goodson is the only healthy, currently playing veteran CB in the pool, so I'd say Goodson has better than an 80% chance of being called in.

deuteronomy repped this.
  12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think there is a good chance for a newbie, but not in place of Goodson.

The thing is, Klinsmann's back is pretty close to being against the wall. Costa Rica isn't a must-win (though I argued it was last month), but Mexico will be if the team falls short in Denver. And that type of thing often brings out the unpredictable.

I may be wrong and you may be right on Castillo/Johnson, but you're certainly wrong on Dempsey and the goalkeepers. Friedel will fly over only if/when Guzan gets hurt, not beforehand.

And I agree on Goodson, but he's pretty certain to get the call IMO.

13. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    I get it but I dont think veteran experience matters much when you play as bad as Goodson has over the past year, there are plenty of guys not even on the USMNT radar (some rightfully so) who are playing better than him. The 4th CB isn't likely to play anyway though

14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't think of who the pure newbie surprise could be. Heck, Gonzo still qualifies as a newbie in my book, with only 2 Caps under JK and then those other two caps over 2 years ago under BB. Gonzo is still very raw. Besler is another true newbie, too. How many newbies can one take to crucial World Cup Qualifiers?

1) Cameron is 100% lock;
    2) Goodson is 80% since he's the only vet still standing;
    3) Gonzo (amazingly) is the next most internationally experienced, healthy and currently starting for his club CB in the entire US pool, so he's 80% too;
    4) Besler was at the January camp and started vs Canada, so he's 50%.

5) Boca was dropped from the XI by JK in February after having had 3 consecutive club starts just before the Honduras match, but has been benched for club and country since. He's down to 20%.
    6) Onyewu? 5%.
    7) John, Ream, Orozco are maybe at 2% chance.

8) Very young newbies like Okugo, Hedges, Berry, Brooks are at 1%.

The true CBs will almost certainly be Cameron, Goodson, Gonzo, and Besler, with Goodson and Gonzo competing for the starting spot next to Cameron. Edu and Williams are the deep emergency backups in March. I see no point, and almost no logic to calling in anyone else in March. May/June and Gold Cup could be very different, though.

schrutebuck repped this.
  15. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I agree. Your analysis of what to expect from Klinsmann is fine enough, except I think Orozco-Fiscal has a higher chance due to the sudden opening at right back.

I just think the back against the wall issue could be a factor. If the team fails to get 3 points against Costa Rica, not even the spots of Michael Bradley or Clint Dempsey should be safe. At this stage, I think it plays out that we could see a couple of surprises in the squad, with center back being one of the spots.

17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense.