Championship or League?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by airbornerocks, Apr 10, 2014.

1. airbornerocks

airbornerocks Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only problem with the NWSL is this, what is more prestigious, the League or the Championship? I know the first four in the league qualify for the playoffs, kind of like first four qualify for UCL in the mens game. But if you say, what team has more prestigious silverware? Flash or Thorns? Who is the real champion in the NWSL? The team won won the league or the team who won the final game? If you say the final championship game, it basically means the number one league spot and trophy is worthless and only used as a qualifier. It's not like F.A Cup/copa del rey and La Liga title and premier league title. Why can't we call the NWSL championship game like a "sponsers cup". That way the true champion is the team who finished 1st, and then we have a cup run where every team gets a shot. Like all other cups...

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #2 Cliveworshipper, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    The nwsl follows the MLS model. The supporter's shield takes back seat to league champion.

This suposed great distinction didn't matter last year because after the championship game the Thorns had the best record anyway. They had more points when all was said and done.

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The only way it'll change, is if we, the fans, change it (and it is really that simple, if everyone referred to WNY as the NWSL champs, they'd be the champs). But knowing most US fans only seem to care about the playoffs, I don't think it'll ever change.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

So.. You are proposing they market a championship, put it on tv, take people's money, and then claim it's the booby prize?

Unh uh.

It wasn't the booby prize before it was played.

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    No, I did not express any opinion on what the league should do. I'm proposing the fans treat it the way they want. If no one cared about the playoffs, then the playoffs would cease to exist. But as I said, most US fans love the playoffs so I doubt it will ever change.

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A. Our US sports culture for some reason pays little or no attention to the league winners. Back in 1961 when Maris hit 61 and Mantle hit 54, winning the American League (10 teams) or National League(8 teams) pennant over 162 games was a big deal; there were only the two "divisions." There was no inter-league play, no DH, and the only playoff was the AL and NL winners in the World Serious (ref. Ring Lardner - I recommend his writings).

B. Playoffs in the U.S. are in place to make money. NCAA basketball only "needs" 32 teams (no team ranked worse than 32 has made the Final Four) and there could be strong argument for 24, or 16. The rest of the teams get in because somebody makes money. Why are there so many teams in the NBA and NHL playoffs -teams with no shot at winning the playoffs? To make money.

C. Ironically, there is strong evidence that the visiting playoff team(s) in the NWSL may actually lose money in the playoffs due to more travel, extended weeks of team support/infrastructure, and not getting any of the attendance or concession money.

D. I am old school, but I gave up on 'too many teams in the playoffs' and 'the league title should be much more important' a long time ago. But IMO: Why in hell do we need to give the end-of-season #8 ranked team a shot at the championship? It ain't fair to the players who won the games to get to the top of the league.

-CJ

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Maybe over time NWSL can transition to the home and home series

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I am old school also. I'd extend that to the ncaa.

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    This is why I personally care more about the regular season league standings than the playoffs. All the playoffs do, when the teams all play each other regularly anyway, is tell us which team was hot for the last few games that they played, not who was the best all season long.