Champions League Semi-Final: April 18, 2012 - FC Barcelona v. Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarcaFan

BarcaFan Member

Nov 14, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think it's 50-50 now.

Given that John Terry's kids are Messi fans, did Terry get Messi's shirt? I couldn't find any pictures of it.

2. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Clear-cut, point-blank misses without ANY players, (apart from the keeper), between the goal and the guy shooting, i.e. like Drogba had? Really?

You go and find them for me then because I think you'll find they were either shots where they had someone, (often 2 or 3 players), closing them down and were forced to snatch at the shot and/or they had about 3 players covering the goal, often with the keeper as well. That's kinda why they missed their shots.

There was the one shot the guy put onto the bar but, on an equivalent basis, (to Drogba's), that's about it.
    Which was one more than Barca using the same criteria, i.e. open goal with only the keeper to beat.
    Uh-huh! :rolleyes:

How long have you been watching football sonny, a week? a month? You think Drogba showed fear when he put the shot in on his one chance? As opposed to the Barca players that froze and either mis-hit or got the ball trapped under their feet?
    Strong in defence, eh?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXzFDrPO0c"]bc.avi - YouTube[/ame]

One defender in their own HALF when the other team gains possession and that's strong in defence, is it?
    Well, that too to an extent but my MAIN point is they don't defend properly. If they DID they'd keep more players back as cover and the game would become more open and entertaining.
    I thought I'd made it clear that my main argument is with the so-called 'experts' that we keep hearing, over and over, explaining the benefits of one system over another.

Everyone, (and I do mean EVERYONE), that understands the game knows that Chelsea doesn't have the players to play the way Barca do, particularly now we've lost some of the fellas like Robben, Ballack, Cole, Duff, etc.

I don't mind people saying they prefer Barca's style. What I object to is when they try and claim there's something WRONG with playing the way we're forced to due to available personnel... like it's somehow cheating... PARTICULARLY when those SAME people applaud players who, (let's face it), dive on a pretty constant basis AND get the calls for it, (not something Drogba's been noticeably successful at over recent years), because that's total bullshit.

More to the point that IS cheating. That's about as anti-football as it's possible to be. It's the rank hypocrisy that annoys me.
    When, by all rights, they should have already been down about 3 or 4 goals to nil. It was only because of a refereeing display that was just about the most shocking anyone's seen in living memory, that they weren't.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, I still think you'll go through. If we managed to grab a goal it might change because then you'd need to get three but otherwise you won't miss that many chances again. Get an early goal and it's all square with the rest of the game at your place.
    I think there's a great deal of respect between the players. It's just a pity some of our own pundit over here don't share the feeling towards a side from their own country :(

1 person likes this.
  5. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    someone rep this

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The penalty shout from two angles...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2RjUsW0wMQ"]ci3.avi - YouTube[/ame]

The contact starts at LEAST two metres outside the area and by the time they reach the area Iniesta, (who I quite like tbh), is already going down. Also, if you watch, Cahill makes contact with the ball when it's only about 9-10 inches inside the area with his outstretched leg so, unless he's a dwarf, his body is still OUTSIDE the area at that point.

You can also see both players contesting for the ball outside the area with both pushing each other and trying to gain position on the ball.

In this fixture nothing would surprise me but there's no WAY that's a penalty although it might have been a free kick I suppose.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Penner!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

8. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    two players jostle, cahill kicks the ball away then pushes iniesta over. not a pen.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I actually think it is;

One; Iniesta was in front of Cahil...he beat his man. It wasn't neck to neck.

Two; Iniesta wasn't "jostling" or "pushing" Cahill, he was getting Cahill's arm out of the way and then moves in front of him. (see point 'One')

Three; It doesn't matter if Cahill touched the ball. The only reason Iniesta did not get to the ball first was because he was already fouled.

Four; The only reason why it wasn't a penalty, was because it occurred right before the box.

Conclusion;

It really should have been a free kick.

10. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Still think you guys have the edge. The chances of another clean sheet are not high at all, and once you get your goal all you will need to do is play your game on your field in your way and try to finish it.

Still, I got to admit winning the first leg was pretty cool :cool:

Good luck on Tuesday. To both teams :p

11. Qindarka

Qindarka Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Malaysia
    Edit: Wrong thread

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think 50-50 is a bit optimistic from Barça's perspective. The reality is that any Chelsea goal will put them in a world of trouble, and based on this week's game, I wouldn't bet against Chelsea scoring. So then they will suddenly manage three goals when they couldn't manage one at the Bridge? :confused:

The scenario in which I see them advancing is a 2-0 home victory (possibly after extra time). In any other scenario I do not really like their chances.

So I would give Chelsea the edge just because it's far more likely for Chelsea to score once than it will be for Barça to score three times and/or not concede at least one goal. And it should be mentioned that they have only gone through once in the Pep era after having lost the away game (last year vs. Arsenal).

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think you're prevaricating a bit. This is our weakest side in a decade an we scored on one shot. Plus, I have to be honest, I expect a lot more rolling around from Barca in the return leg (yes, like Drogba did), and I don't trust the referee not to make a decision

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I had to look up that word, thanks for expanding my vocabulary. :D

Well the thing that will hurt them most is the lack of an away goal at the Bridge. Whichever way you look at it, a Chelsea away goal will all but signify a dagger to the heart. It's a big ask psychologically for any team to suddenly go from a situation where you get at least to extra time with one goal to having to score three just to survive. I also think it's a big ask to assume they will suddenly score freely when Chelsea cut off much of the passing lanes they like to operate in and are in the opportunity to do the same and the Camp Nou. It's no coincidence that a large amount of the chances they did create after the 1-0 were almost incidental in their inception.

So my prediction is: If Chelsea score at the Camp Nou, they will go through, if Barça manage to prevent them from scoring, they will go through.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I agree with that, but which is more likely? We're not going to have many chances.

16. Maurice Dollars

Maurice Dollars ¡Arriba Perú, carajo!

Jan 11, 2011
    Lima, Perú
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I don't think we can hold Barcelona to a clean sheet. This bad boy goes to penalties. If we do pull off a scoreless draw, it will be one of the great defensive displays of recent times.

17. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    What Beckenbauer or Kafu can't get any love ;)

18. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    again I will glady give up my left nut for a 3-2 loss to Barca ;)

19. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's probably fair to say, in a rarity in professional football, next goal wins!

I am glad that more and more people are realising that the possession stats are bullshit. They just don't apply in Barcelona games any more. The opposition rarely try to have possession a lot of the time.

See last night, Barcelona (or Barcelolna if you prefer) again had 70+% of the ball, but hey... they lost. Again.