Champions League Semi-Final: April 18, 2012 - FC Barcelona v. Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Exactly. We had a strategy stuck to it and won the game. Possession stats do not tell you everything about a game. The most dangerous looking player on the field was Drogba. When Drogba got the ball you felt something was going to happen. Messi was dangerous - but he is no Ronaldhinio imho - Ronaldhino was a game changer and always looked dangerous on the ball. Players really did not know how to defend against Ronaldhino. Messi can be stopped. C Ronaldo can be stopped. Good fast full backs can handle them.

Not sure why Roberto insists on Kalou tbh - I think Sturridge or Torres are better players to bring on - more direct. Not that Kalou has been bad. . .just not really seeing it.

Mata was quiet - expect more from him in the second leg.

Miereles was okay - I like his attitude - though his passing and distribution is really poor at times.

2. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would tend to agree with this.. I think it is absolutely vital that Torres plays at Nou Camp. But with Drogba..I'd almost be tempted to play a 3 pronged attack using Sturridge, Drogba, and Torres. I can assure you it is not what Barca is expecting, and is the recipe for success at Nou Camp. Also, I would play Essien over Mikel..

3. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    some quick thoughts on the game, i've read back quite a few pages and wanted to touch on some things.

the pass from lamps to release Ram was brilliant, AND intelligent as it has been stated. but i have to wonder if that was a set response to winning the ball in midfield. you see lamps look to see if alves is back there, when he's not, he launches it and know Ram is going to beat everyone to it. i have to think that was designed, exploiting how far up alves usually is. which in turn, is still brilliant.

the amount of respect for the most part between the two teams was noticeable for sure. the handshake between JT and Puyol at the beginning was extremely warm. and for the most part, the two teams were very much respectful of eachother. helping eachother up on numerous occasions. it really was nice to see. especially with the history of the teams.

i heard some rumblings that fabregas is not up to snuff for barcelona. it makes me think. perhaps the only players in the world right now that can make this barca team and style click are the ones that are in it right now. even slightly errant 1st time passes can ruin their strategy and gameplan. perhaps this system won't be the NEW system and that what we are seeing is a one time thing. who knows really, it HAS revolutionized a lot of the game (and i really really don't like barca, or admitting that) and i used to really think that there game was boring, so much possession, so little penetration. but i'm wondering if it's a sustainable model, for anyone really. and perhaps it doesn't have to go to the extreme like they do, and you can use this model in other ways. but if you don't have the players to play it, it can fall apart. it is crazy to think though that fabregas may not but good enough, the guy is insanely talented. but to be honest, he's playing so far forward, maybe he's not really meant to be part of the midfield engine.

have to give huge credit to cahill to step in and take care of business the way he did. i thought he played very well for such a huge stage.

4. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely disagree with this. Torres is not good a keeping possession and would cough up the ball the second he gets pressured. Kalou is pretty decent at defending and a whole lot better at it then Sturridge. Thats the mentality behind that. Danny is still young and doesn't seem to put the concentration that is needed to get the job done. If anything instead of Mata, start Kalou. (wow never thought i would say that) But fielding the same team may be a good idea.

6. W.Lewin

W.Lewin Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Congratulations Chelsea! Looking forward to the second game in Barcelona.

We had the ball the entire game, had multiple chances but failed to execute. It was a good defensive performance from you guys but we still had multiple chances to score. What do you think will be the strategy for Chelsea in the second leg?

Another note: The free space left up by Alves on the right has been exploited before in the season. Unai Emery was first to do it early in the season with Valencia. They scored two goals by pressuring the right hand side. Pep fixed it by bringing in Adriano to attack on the right wing and he dropped Alves back in defence. I expect Guardiola to at least address the free space on the right and I also think he will put Iniesta back into the middle.

I expect to see the following formation in the second leg:

Mascherano Pique Puyol​
    Busquets​
    Xavi Andrés​
    Messi​
    Alves Alexis Cesc​

What formation do you expect from Chelsea?

7. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: C

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :eek: you sick twisted....

[​IMG]

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: C

10. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that slut...that's not my hand :D

1 person likes this.
  11. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    say whatever you want...
    the system worked.

[​IMG]

3 people repped this.
  12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Come on. Give Messi some respect. He is not a gamechanger, you're right. He's a game owner. I personally shit my pants every time he got the ball at his feet. I don't know how you can say "Messi can be stopped" when the man has won the Player of the Year three years running and has score 60 goals this season already.

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I agree......the game at Camp Nou will cost me at least 1/2 a dozen adult diapers.

14. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can, because yesterday he was stopped.

I would agree he is a game owner, but only if the game suits him. And the way we played yesterday completely took him out of the game. Messi is known for (among other things) his ability to dribble through defenders. Messi simply wasn't able to dribble the way he's accustomed to because we corked up the midfield so tight. And when he did try to move with the ball, he was pressed so quickly that if he doddled for even a moment he was robbed. That tells the whole story of our goal: when he received the ball from Mascherano, instead of playing the usual tiki taka with the players around him, Messi turned and tried go forward with the ball, completely unaware of the fact that Lampard was already down his throat. And then... well, you know the rest :p

On another note: I find it hilarious that Barca fans complain of our "anti-football." I think the lot of us would agree that Barcelona are, in fact, the best team in the world, and maybe arguably the best team to ever play the game. I can't imagine a greater compliment to them. And if I hate Barcelona, it's for two reasons: (a) I'm jealous of their success, and; (2) at times, they benefit from their unprofessionalism. Those things being said: any team that tries to play open football with Barcelona will lose (there's another compliment). We won yesterday because we picked the one strategy that works against the best team in the world. You can't be rational without giving us credit for that.

I think Barcelona fans (on their forum and the some of ones I've spoken to) have been showing less class in their reaction to yesterday's match than Busquets on even one of his bad days. FFS, they've won more trophies in the last decade than I keep track of, and yet, when they DO lose, they bitch and moan and demean their opposition for playing "anti-football." It comes off as entitled, petulant, and spoiled. Football is about strategy, and strategy means picking your moments to play offensively or defensively. We picked our strategy and won.

(And it must be said that I'm not talking about all Barca fans - in fact many of my family are intense Barcelona fans. Fair credit to those who have shown class.)

15. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was happy for Chelsea and my friend who is a supporter who I watched the game with. However, there was quite a bit of luck which I admit you are going to need to beat Barca (I can't recall ever seeing Fabregas whiff like that). As for Messi, centimeters was the difference today between a 3-1 win for Barca and the loss. What I did love was the full body blocks by Chelsea defenders. The Prem defenders are the best in the world at this and it saved Chelsea on numerous ocassions. Cole, Terry and Cahill were another level. Go watch Bayern's first goal vs. Real Madrid, there would have been three Chelsea defenders throwing their bodies at the shot rather than the 3 RM defenders that stuck out their legs.

Both the "underdog" teams have set up epic return legs. Can't wait.

Quite true as to supporters (they should be used to bunkers) but Pep made a point of not doing that in the press conference. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17764860

16. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although im excited and love that we won.... Still far from the final. Playing at Camp Nou is gonna be again, one of the hardest matches this team will face.

Believe!

17. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I give him a lot of respect. He is a great player - he just doent make me poop me pants. I am sorry to hear about your underwear. Nor does Cronaldo. Like I said I felt different with Ronaldhinio when we faced Barca with him. When we corked the midfield Ronaldhinio would still wriggle around - with Messi (thus far) not so much. Just my observation and opinion.

btw - 60 goals in a two team league . . .

18. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Di Matteo knows how to play that defensive Italian style and just choke the game and hold on to the 1-0. Our team is not so bad - but we lack 2-3 players - one being a player who can really distribute the ball quickly and immaculately from the midfield - Merelish has a good attitude, but he is not always the best at this, his distribution is poor and Frank has quick feet, but hasnt fully adjusted to playing deeper. Ramires is really a box-2-box player and we have kind of being using him as a winger because of his pace. IF we had a couple of really fast proper wingers I would be more confident about the nou camp and the 2nd lag.

Will Luiz be available next week? His distribution from deep might allow Frank and Mata to get a little further forward perhaps?

Not sure what team we will play or what formation we shall for next week. I would like us to beat Arsenal and I would like to see Madrid destroy Barca. I have to say that I really hate Barca. Hate them. For every tongue that a commentator or a pundit sticks up the Barca rectum . . .I simply feel that they are not as exceptional as everyone seems to think.

19. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spend some time on Youtube. :)

I do think you are correct in your comparison. Ronaldhinio had more power and relied a bit less on combination play than Messi but what I love about Messi is he isn't a diving p*** like a left footed Dutchman, right footed Frenchman, and big Ivorian whom won't mention by name.

20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is only a two team league because of how good Real Madrid and Barca are vs the rest, but look at the Europa League. La Liga still has three clubs representing. It is a very good league overall as far as quality goes.

21. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Drogba. Its ok. We know that DD is a bit of a drama queen, but he has other reasons too:

[​IMG]

IMHO you do see more CFC players falling down a bit more now ;)

3 people repped this.
  22. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I strongly disagree. I can recall just from memory Messi dribbling through multiple tackles either into the Chelsea box (in the first half...) or to be fouled by the 3rd or sometimes 4th defender.

True, he got easily and very fortunately for us, dispossessed by Lampard for the goal - but thats sort of the exception that proves the rule. I dont remember him giving the ball away at all, before or after.

Every time he has the ball, space or not, he can create.

>He played the pass before the pass which Alexis Sanchez lobed to hit the bar.
    > Dribbled past Mireles and Lampard into the box to occupy Cahill AND Ivanovic forcing a pass to a shot, which Cech saved and Fabregas wasted
    > Header to the corner which Cech had to save.
    > Slides a pass into the box for Fabregas which A.Cole blocks on the line
    > Long 1-2 with a backheel into the box which Cahill slides to save, only having the next shot go off the post.

23. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No he just throws elbows and gets away with when he is losing like against Inter. Or he is useless when he puts the Argentina jersey on. Last but not least he is drug cheat product of human growth hormone.

24. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone think we would of had a chance of winning if AVB was still in charge?

They pretty much played the complete opposite of what AVB's style is and won. So if he was here, and taking into consideration the Napoli first 3-1 result. We probably would of lost 6-1?

25. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Ha ha hypotheticals