Champions League Semi-Final: April 18, 2012 - FC Barcelona v. Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I think who scores first will be extremely important. I don't think we can expect for Barca to be as dreadful with their finishing as they were today. We need to hold the ball a bit more. If they press, then someone has to be open and we have to find that person.

In 2009, we had more chances and more control of the ball being 1 up than today, even before that red card. Just b/c they press high does not mean that 11 professional footballers can't keep more of the ball.

I imagine that Drogba rests for the weekend, even though he would be crucial in the Arse game. Bigger question is whether the lads will have their heads in this game or not. Could be tough if they are thinking of Tuesday.

2. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More madness from the Barca threads:

Hear that, fellas? WINNING tonight was the WORST thing that could ever have happened to us. How dare Chelsea exploit Messi's mistake! We're so stupid! :p

1 person likes this.
  3. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This. Defend like maniacs and grab a goal.

4. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Watching the game on FSC again now.

Right at the 80:00 mark, Drogba skipped away from two Barca defenders and burst into their half. Kalou was the only one along with him, so a tired Drogba tried to find him. It was easily cut out by Adriano. Not much was made of this by the commentators or in this thread.

When watching again, I recognized that point in the game early and watched Kalou. He was through when Drogba played the ball and would have been 1v1 (not that he would have scored... it's Kalou). However, Adriano made a ridiculous 60- or 70-yard recovery at full tilt and just got his body ahead of Kalou as the ball was played to cut it out.

There was also the very early chance that got away from Drogba, a corner that barely eluded Cahill at the back post, and a long throw in the first half that was the feet of Terry just yards out but was scrambled away. Even late on there was Kalou's foul on Adriano in the box, even if Salo did blast it 20 feet over the bar:D

Writing all of this to point out that we did not play very well with the ball, but our sheer physicality caused Barca's defense problems a number of times. If we can use the ball a bit better and get something more from Mata's position (don't think he should start next week) then there's no reason we can't score a goal [or two] in the return leg.

Defending them on their own patch for 90 more minutes is a completely different matter, and it's not one I want to start thinking about quite yet:D

EDIT: All this talk of luck, but Drogba slipped on the Puyol header or else it would have been defended comfortably.

5. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Gonna get a lot of these in the return leg...

[​IMG]

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem with playing them at their place, (and not just for us), is that they can foul almost with impunity and nobody's allowed to touch them. That makes it a lot easier than it would otherwise be.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Security Cam at The Bridge catches Drogs at HT in the tunnel...

:eek:

[​IMG]

:D

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is that real??? :D

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, man...of course! :D

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    BTW, they showed on the replay after the match that the last Barca attack that hit the post in the last 30 seconds was actually GREAT defending by, among others, Ivan and Ash because they BOTH got a foot on the shot and in fact DIRECTED it onto the post. It would probably have gone in if not for that.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    WOW

1. A referee allowed Chelsea to have 11 men on the pitch against Barcelona...for an entire game!!!!!!!!!

2. Barcelona were forced to use only 11 men against an opponent in Europe.

wow!

12. Maurice Dollars

Maurice Dollars ¡Arriba Perú, carajo!

Jan 11, 2011
    Lima, Perú
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Like I said, Cech needed to have a flawless performance and he produced just that. :D

LMAO at the Barcy forum. They were confident that they would crush us and then play their marvelous youth players on Tuesday. Now, Messi has vengeance in his eyes and this result is the worst thing that could have happened for us. ROFL.

We need to do a Mourinho and park the semi on Tuesday. Drogba is going to be looking at offers as a CB after next week. I don't see any other way, we're gonna have to play a defensive masterpiece. Cold and calculated.

------------------------Cech
    Ivanovic-Cahill-Lampard-Mikel-Meireles-Terry-Cole
    -Kalou----------------------------------Ramires
    -----------------------Drogba

I just hope we don't get a player sent off for an "aggression" in the 28th minute.

I have half a heart to go and make an Xzibit meme. "Yo dawg, I heard you like defenses, so we put a defense inside of a defense."

All I want to see next Tuesday is SPRINKLERS!!!

13. jorcaryvan

jorcaryvan Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Nice one :D. ¡¡Viva el Perú c a r a jo!!

14. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Just watched the game on tape delay. Immense performance. One of those rare games where everyone pulls their weight, but the Cole-Ramires tandem in particular was incredible. Mata was perhaps the exception, but he was never really going to influence this game and his work rate was fine on my viewing.

Cahill was the biggest question mark for me personally just because of his lack of experience at this level, but he acquitted himself well and his acceleration is a major plus.

As for Barca, they put on an absolute clinic in wasteful finishing out there. Really, almost some Heskey level stuff on display (I'm looking at you, Fabregas). Here's hoping Madrid run them ragged on the weekend and they're lacking that bit of sharpness next week.

Still have a lot to do, but I wasn't sure we'd still be in the tie at this point, so I'm pretty elated with this result.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The interesting thing about this weekend is that Barca rotates their players less than even we do, and they're basically playing for the league; if they don't win, it's over for them. So even though we have Arsenal, they'll be just as tired.

16. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only half time baby!!!! Love that Chelsea seems to be the only team to really know how to play against barce in Europe. Fantastic concentration and coverage by all in blue today. Really was worried in the final minutes but glad they weren't finishing and that we finally got that bit of luck. Hoping that it'll continue into the second leg.

Carefree!!!!

17. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barcelona have a lot of possession - but most of the time they are just pissing about with the ball. Waste of time really. Dont get me wrong they are a decent team - but meh, i just dont like the way they play football - Drogba scores goals. Not only does he score goals but he takes the time to get back and defend and hack that Messi to the ground :)

Early away goal in the nou camp and we have a realistic chance.

18. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

:confused:

What was point of that exercise in med school?

Serious question...

:)

20. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    serious answer:

bordesim:D

21. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Grats guys, you played to your strengths. Aerials, physical play and well timed counters.

The return leg will be very difficult however, but one step through the door guys.

The football gods were with Chelsea tonight.

22. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gratz to all you guys. I will definietly be cheering for you guys so I can continue to troll Liverpool fans. I know Torres has been far from a good buy but it'd still be funny if he wins the CL and Pool are still fighting for a Europa League spot :D

23. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I absolutely loved the level of class played tonight, I was going to mention how much respect both teams had for each other and the level of professionalism..

Unlike the bloodbath that happened the night before......

24. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Congrats guys, now finish them.
    You are favorites now as they will need 3 goals if you score 1!!!